Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai - places to stay this Aug - Grand Hyatt, Marriott or Princeville Resort?

Jun 9th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone in this forum for all your advice on our first trip to Hawaii. I thought I'd tap in to your collective wisdom again regarding places to stay in Kauai. We are going in mid-August and we would like some pampering in addition to the activities we will do on the island while visiting. We were thinking about the Grand Hyatt. However, many of the things I've read indicate we should stay on the North Shore in the summer. We know that the Princeville Resort is closing in September so we don't know what will still be there in mid August. So, with all that said - any recommendation among Grand Hyatt, Princeville Resort or the Marriott?
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM

The Grand Hyatt has a wonderful, if overly expensive, Spa. The pool system there is expensive. The beach is a big disappointment as it it is too rough for swimming.

It might be worth splitting your time between the two. The views from the Princeville Hotel are unbelieveable
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM

We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue just because we had points. It had a gorgeous pool, but I would prefer to stay on the North Shore next time - the beaches were beautiful up there.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Aloha from Princeville!

With the Princeville Hotel closing in early September for their 6-month MAJOR renovation project, we've been told that they are no longer taking reservations...not even for dates between now and the closure.

Jun 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I just talked to Starwood and they are taking reservations. According to Starwood, they indicated that they are continuing to operate with full service until they close on September 19 for renovations.

AuntieMaria - I assume you are hearing something different. Please let me know. Thanks so much.
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Hi ccb213,

Call Princeville Resort directly if you have any doubts. (808) 826-9644.

Both the Grand Hyatt Kauai and Princeville Resort are wonderful places to stay. In fact, we split our last visit in Sep 07 between the two resorts, and it was terrific way to explore Kauai and to relax. Definitely don't miss the North Shore.
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Princeville is run-down,but the view is absolutely gorgeous!! Grand Hyatt has a better hotel pool/grounds area. Beautiful gardens everywhere. I would split your time between N/S shore.
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I stayed at the Marriot but only because it was free. If I had my choice, I would rent a home on the north shore

We did go by the Hyatt and it seemed nicer then the Marriott - but I would prefer the North Shore. It is just so magical there imo.
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM

IMHO, the Hyatt is great if you are traveling with kids, or want easy access to the beach (or surfing). The Princeville is where we went w/o kids and enjoyed the views, quiet and sophisication of the resort. Farther to drive to beaches if you want to interact with the surf. For our first trip, we split b/w Princeville and Hyatt. I have not seen the Marriott.
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM

We had 8 days in Kauai as part of our first trip to Hawaii a couple of years ago. We were on a bit of a budget, so in Kauai we chose to stay at condos instead of big resorts.

In Princeville, we rented a clifftop unit at Pu'u Poa (through Princeville Vacations website). Condo is a short walk up the hill from the resort (and with the same wonderful sunsets and Bali Hai views). Great spot -- very modern unit with everything we needed, and a terrace overlooking the view: you could even lie in bed and see the surfers out there, waiting for the next wave! We used to walk down to P-ville hotel for cocktails and entertainment, and of course their stellar Sunday brunch. It was a great base for exploring Hanalei and the fab north coast. Took a great catamaran sailing trip from Hanalei past the Na Pali cliffs (windy, surfy and exciting as long as you don't get seasick. But that was mid September, near the end of the sailing season because of rough winter seas.)

Second four days were near Poipu, on the south coast. We were less pleased with our condo there (through Suite Paradise), so switched from the original location. But we were just down the coastal path from the Hyatt, which became our default place to go for cocktails etc. We resolved that next time we got to Kauai, we would definitely stay there. Beautiful resort, but as Marginal said, not the place for ocean swimming. There's a reason why it's called Shipwreck Beach. The swimming pools make up for that, though.

Happy trails!
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM

We stayed in condos close to the Princeville Resort. We LOVED the area and were very glad we stayed there rather than other areas on Kauai (although, the whole island is great so you really can't go wrong).

In addition to a resort itself, what kind of area would you like to stay at?

Poipu Beach has too many hotels and "people traffic" for me. For me, the most gorgeous part of the island is from Princeville to where the road ends.

We were there in Winter but would love to go back to Princeville in the summer - I wanted to stay near the mountains, waterfalls, and on the ocean. Guess winter is not the best time to stay on the North shore:http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/guides/...urf_trends.php says

Summer
Summer brings large waves predominately to the south side. Winter storms in the Southern Hemisphere generate swells that create breaking waves on south facing shores. Trade winds (northeast) and passing trade showers are typical summer weather.

North - usually flat to small waves except for areas exposed to trade wind waves
East - surf can get large and rough with strong trade winds
South - large south swells arrive frequently
West - south swells wrap around to the west side and can create high surf

Winter
Huge, powerful swells pound the North and West facing shores. Storms originating in the Aleutians that dump snow on the Rockies, cause freezes in the Midwest and reek havoc on the Eastern seaboard are the same storms that create gargantuan surf on Hawaii's northern and western shores. The waves generated from these powerful storms are extremely dangerous and unpredictable. Never underestimate the power of the ocean. Winter weather brings more variable winds and increases chances of encountering longer spells of rain.

North - huge, dangerous swells consistently
East - surf can get large and rough with strong trade winds
South - usually flat to small surf during winter, can be sunny even if it is raining up north
West - north swells wrap to the west side creating high surf, your best bet for sun and dry weather
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM

We've been to Kauai twice in August, and stayed at the Hyatt both times. It is a fantastic, beautiful, and fun hotel. The North Shore is gorgeous, yes, but we've never had any problems staying at the Hyatt and just driving to the North Shore for a couple of days during our trip. We are hotel/resort people, and like to stay in a great one on vacation because there are always a few days we just want to veg there and relax!
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Kauai is a beatiful place to visit. IMHO, I think the Hyatt is overpriced.

I'd suggest looking into a condo at Hanalei Bay Resort (www.summitpacificinc.com/poipushores.html). Many have an ocean view. The benefit of staying in a condo is that you don't have to get up and get dressed in the morning to get breakfast.
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM

i have to respectfully disagree with you beth_fiz.

the hyatt can be incredibly affordable (at least compared to other deluxe resorts throughout the state of Hawaii) if you take advantage of hyatt's stay certificates or the occasional Faster Free Nights promos (2 stays using MC will get you one free night in just about any Hyatt, including Kauai). for what you get: large gorgeous grounds to wander, incredibly fun pools, man-made lagoon with sand bottom, choice of 5 restaurants, and very good, friendly service, I tend to consider the Hyatt reasonably priced when compared to other Hawaiian resorts as mentioned before.

as for breakfast, I don't have to get dressed at a hotel/resort either if I order room service; even so, on vacation, I'd rather have someone make me breakfast (or pick what I want out of a buffet) than to make my own at a condo. resort v. hotel v. condo...doesn't matter...each has their positives/negatives...different strokes for different folks
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM

I disagree with beth as well. There is the Sunshine on Sale package, where you pay for 4-5 nights and get the next night free at the Grand Hyatt. It also includes the daily buffet breakfast served in the beautiful Illima Terrace. A very good value.

The feel to the hotel is very uncrowded, there is room to sit in a hammock or swing and watch the clouds go by. Also the Hyatt has balconies, to sit out on and enjoy morning coffee, where most of the Princeville rooms only have windows.

We're staying there in Aug. and will drive up to the north shore for a day.