Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai or Oahu along with Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-or-oahu-along-with-maui-766478/)

schectec Feb 10th, 2009 04:36 PM

Kauai or Oahu along with Maui

Hi, we are going to Maui on 8/8 for 5 nights and can't decide between Kauai or Oahu for the next 5 nights for our 40th anniversary. For a first time in Hawaii, which do you feel we should do - Oahu or Kauai, along with Maui. Also, any recommendations for better hotels in any of these locations. Beautiful beach is important. Price range is about low $200's a night. I have been researching and have some ideas. Want to be in West Maui. Thanks,

carolyn Feb 11th, 2009 11:26 AM

I always think it is a mistake to go to Hawaii for the first time and not visit Oahu. Looking up Waikiki beach toward Diamond Head is the iconic picture of Hawaii; and then there are Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Punchbowl Cemetery, and the view from the Pali just for starters.

If you tire of the Waikiki area, rent a car and drive around the island to see the gorgeous scenery in less developed areas.

Do a search on here for Dusty's posts. He has a very extensive Oahu itinerary.

MichelleY Feb 11th, 2009 12:08 PM

If you have never been, then include Oahu.

MY

makai1 Feb 11th, 2009 01:03 PM

aloha schectec... my two favs are O'ahu and Kauai, so would need to know more of what you're looking for... peace and quiet... fun and excitment...activity??

Summer on the north shore of Kauai is spectacular... O'ahu on the other hand has so much to offer.

Here's a fun ole thread to enjoy...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34515901

((R)) happy planning!

Marginal Feb 11th, 2009 01:10 PM

I would rather be on north shore Kauai than anywhere on Oahu. I love Hanalei Bay. Simply beautiful.

makai1 Feb 11th, 2009 01:15 PM

aaahhhh... ((*))Hanalei Bay((*))... best all around beach on Kauai. Mahalo Marginal... dreamin now...

dusty56438 Feb 11th, 2009 01:50 PM

Oahu

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34812564

schectec Feb 12th, 2009 04:46 PM

Thank you everyone. I will check the different sites. What do you think about the Big Island?

Melnq8 Feb 12th, 2009 05:08 PM

On our first trip to Hawaii ages ago, we visited Oahu and the Big Island. I've since been back to Oahu once (North Shore), but have been to the Big island, many, many times. The Big Island and Kauai are my personal favorites.

Supercilious Feb 12th, 2009 06:29 PM

If it was some other time of year, I would recommend Oahu since you haven't been there before.

But, August is the worst time for Waikiki. It's crawling with kids and vacationing Japanese. It's really high season.

For your situation, I would suggest the Big Island. There is so much to see there and it's easier to get away from the crowds.

schectec Feb 13th, 2009 04:57 AM

Thank you. This is becoming a difficult task, trying to decide. Now my husband throws in, what about the 7 days cruise to see all of the islands and then spend 3 days after on Maui. It seems like a very exhausting trip, but maybe I am wrong. Has anyone tried the cruise? Again, I truly appreciate any help.

MichelleY Feb 13th, 2009 09:11 AM

Don't do the cruise and don't listen to your husband. It sounds like you are planning this trip and doing the research, so you decide. I would still go with Maui and Oahu.

Good luck,

MY

LindainOhio Feb 13th, 2009 09:31 AM

I wouldn't stress too much about this because no matter what your decision, you will be happy. All the islands have something to offer and all are beautiful.

On our first trip to Hawaii, we did all 10 nts all on Maui. We took our children and it was nice to spend the entire time there and not have the extra expense of the additional flight. Fabulous trip.

Our next visit, we had 2 weeks so we spent 5 nts on Maui and 8 nts on Kauai--another fabulous trip.

I would love to visit the Big Island and spend the entire time there. That would be fabulous too.

I have talked to people who have enjoyed the cruise. That would not be my preference. I would think that Hawaii would be a good cruise location. At each port you could rent a car and be on your way exploring.

MichelleY Feb 13th, 2009 10:19 AM

I go along with Linda in Ohio: you will have a great trip no matter which island you choose. You can't go wrong :)

MY

Kal Feb 13th, 2009 11:41 AM

:-?

I'm <i>still</i> not sure about that Kauai 'thang.

Helloooo mak and MY ;;)

jamie99 Feb 13th, 2009 01:35 PM

Big Island is gorgeous, but not sure that 5 days would give you enough time to see a lot of sights, as it IS big. Most folks recommend a night or two at Volcano, or down by Hilo, followed by some nice time over on the Kona or Kohala coast.

Have not been to Oahu, so leave it to the other Fodors experts on that island, but been to Kauai many times and that North Shore will just knock your socks off, and the weather would be great in August.