Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai or Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-or-maui-803390/)

turq66 Aug 27th, 2009 05:07 PM

Kauai or Maui

We went to Maui about 5 years ago and thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. We love nature and scenery and did a lot while we were there. We have never been to Kauai.
We have friends that have been to Kauai, but not Maui and think it's great.
We just can't imagine anything nicer than Maui (The Garden Isle), but now have a chance to go to Kauai with different fiends, or back to Maui. We are afraid if we go to Kauai, instead of Maui, we will be disappointed. We are all about nature and scenery and traveling around doing/seeing different things.
We would like to hear from anyone who has been to both and opinions one vs. the other.
Thanks
p.s. This is a great site!

turq66 Aug 27th, 2009 05:32 PM

I forgot to mention, we would be going around late Dec. after Xmas.

montereybob Aug 27th, 2009 07:20 PM

If you like nature and beautiful scenery you will not be disappointed with Kauai! In many ways Kauai is even more beautiful than Maui. You probably can't believe it. But it's true. After you see Kauai, you might think that Maui is the 2nd most beautiful place on earth. Definitely take the helicopter tour.

iamq Aug 27th, 2009 07:52 PM

Kauai is known as the Garden Island. Maui is known as the Valley Island.

Kal Aug 27th, 2009 07:57 PM

Hmmmm...new, first time poster...HELLO BUDMAN...sorry....

It's kinda like a "greeting" here nowadays.

We always go to Kauai Dec/Jan so being selfish, never being to Maui and not wanting it to be too crowded on Kauai, I'd suggest Maui. :^o :^o :^o

ElendilPickle Aug 27th, 2009 09:03 PM

Kal! :-))

Lee Ann

Kal Aug 27th, 2009 09:08 PM

;;)

Odin Aug 27th, 2009 10:48 PM

We usually go to Maui and on one trip we went to Kauai and we were disappointed. Yes it has Napali which is undoubtedly spectacular but it had nothing that compares with Hana - Kauai was busy with traffic, very dry in most areas apart from a very small area in the north of the island. The beaches were mostly not swimmable and those that were were very crowded. Poipu in the south is a purpose built area of hotels & condos and of limited interest, east of the island is busy & crowded but has some nice small towns, west is dry and windswept, north is the best. We had a nice time in Kauai but longed for Maui.

iamq Aug 28th, 2009 05:11 AM

Odin rocks!

Songdoc Aug 28th, 2009 05:18 AM

check out these pix of Kauai -- and decide for yourself:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

FYI, the last nine pix are Oahu.

With all due respect to Odin ... I can't imagine that response to Kauai -- unless you miss all the right places. Check out my recent trip report. The swimming was perfect at Anini Beach, Ke'e Beach, Lydgate Park, and Kealia Beach.

But everybody has different tastes. That's why there's 32 different flavors of ice cream--and more than one Hawaiian island ;-)

colombiana Aug 28th, 2009 06:02 AM

turq66:
You mentioned you are about scenery more than once so I too would suggest Kauai, all of Hawaii is beautiful for different things and Kauai without a doubt has some breath taking natural beauty. If you are not interested in going to a club or finding anything opened after 9:00 pm then Kauai is for you. There are tons of things to do during the day and they do start early. If you do decide to go to Kauai you need to start looking at where you want to stay, also are your friends interested in the same things you are? The great news here is either one you choose you won’t be disappointed have a great time and let us know what you decide.
Gina

simpsonc510 Aug 28th, 2009 06:02 AM

Songdoc
Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to Oahu on my annual September trip in a couple of weeks, and will go to Maui for a few days this year. Last year I went to Kauai. Kauai is my fave, over Maui, but Oahu takes FIRST place.
Carol

iceeu2 Aug 28th, 2009 06:15 AM

Well, let's see now.......eeney meeney miney moe!!!!! Yep, you should go to Maui just like Kal and Odin say!

dbledewars Aug 28th, 2009 06:19 AM

We have been to the big island, Maui, Kauai, and Oahu. If I were choosing between Maui and Kauai, I would choose Maui. I will never go to Oahu again.

dbledewars

Samsaf Aug 28th, 2009 06:32 AM

We have been to the four major islands several times. I think Kauai is the most beautiful of all of them. I like Maui, too, and the Big Island and Oahu. We say our favorites right now are Kauai and the Big Island. But this coming May we are going back, and we think we're going to stay in Oahu the whole time this time. I like them all, and each one gives you different experiences.

If you like a lot of nightlife, you might not like Kauai in that respect. Things seem to close down really early there, which is fine with us, because we're not looking for that. Kauai does have wonderful hiking, snorkeling, sites, which is why we love it so much.

CaraCT09 Aug 28th, 2009 06:40 AM

I went to both Maui and Kauai back in April for my honeymoon, and without a doubt Kauai was our favorite. We had heard mixed reviews on both islands from all our friends before we went, so it really comes down to what you want.

Maui was nice and there is a lot to do, however we found it to crowded and touristy (unless staying out in Hana). We stayed on Kaanapali Beach which is very pretty but crowded.

Kauai we found was quiet and relaxing and a nature lover's dream. We hiked, kayaked, snorkeled and took a catamaran tour to the Napali coast, also visited Waimea Canyon. The north of the island was amazing with its high surf, rocks and cliffs and enjoyed it more than the road to Hana in Maui (which was beautiful in its own right but had some many tourist on it that it took away from the beauty).

We also found as Kauai is a smaller island it was easier to get around, and therefore spent less time getting to areas to start our adventures.

Have fun with either you decide, we can't wait to go back.
Cara

james_lee Aug 28th, 2009 07:30 AM

Why do some of the responders prefer Oahu or the Big Island over Maui or Kauai? I assume some like the north shore of Oahu, but have no idea about the Big Island, other than the volcano.
Jim

turq66 Aug 28th, 2009 03:30 PM

Thanks you so much for all your replies. Interesting to hear the mixed reviews. Anyone else been to both islands??

Thanks

Barbara5353 Aug 28th, 2009 05:55 PM

I've been to Maui and Kauai several times, including trips to both this year. I give a slight edge to Maui as my personal favorite. I love the green lump of Haleakala and miss it when I am on the other islands. I like driving on its slopes in scenic Upcountry, looking DOWN on the island and ocean below. I like sitting on the lanai or beach in the evening or early morning and looking UP at the lights twinkling in the small towns above. I stay in South Maui for the great beaches and affordable lodging; I don't care for the mega-structures in Kaanapali. Kauai is lovely, too, and I can't imagine that you would be disappointed if you decide to join your friends there. Personally, I would not stay on the North Shore in late December. The chances of rain and unfriendly ocean conditions are too great...I get plenty of gray skies and moisture at my home in Oregon.

volcanogirl Aug 28th, 2009 06:08 PM

We've been to both and loved both. If you're into nature and scenery, Kauai is your pick. Maui had loads of activities to do, but for sheer natural beauty, Kauai is the most beautiful place we've ever seen. For both my husband and me, our helicopter tour of the Na Pali Coast is our favorite vacation memory ever. I thought Maui seemed more sophisticated, more developed, had more elaborate dining, etc., but also seemed more expensive.

We also loved the Big Island, and I wasn't sure if we were going to like it at all, but hiking out to see the lava and seeing Akaka Falls were amazing.