Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai or Kaui/Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-or-kaui-maui-567325/)

atrigirl Oct 27th, 2005 08:37 AM

Kauai or Kaui/Maui

I'm planning an eight day honeymoon to Hawaii for May. Looking for some advice on whether we should stay in Kauai the entire trip or head over to Maui as well. My fiance and I are both athletic (triathlete/mountain biking) and into the more rugged hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, surfing sort of trip. At the same time, being our honeymoon we want to have a little time to relax. Would we be better off making the most of a trip to Kauai, or will we be missing out by not spending some time on Maui as well. Thanks for any feedback.

tcapp Oct 27th, 2005 10:34 AM

I would definatly do a Kuai/Maui.

Budman Oct 27th, 2005 10:44 AM

Personally, since you are on your honeymoon, I wouldn't want to do a lot of moving around. Kauai is a great place to stay with more than plenty to do in your 8 days. Save Maui for an anniversary. ((b))

suze Oct 27th, 2005 11:24 AM

For an 8 day honeymoon, I'd do either island, but pick 1 for the entire time. 4 days one place, 4 days another (with go to airport, changing islands, tranfering hotels in the middle) would not be my choice.

crazy4Hawaii Oct 27th, 2005 11:33 AM

Although It's hard for me to make myself follow my own advice in this regard, I think the best thing would be to spend the full eight days in Kauai. Give yourselves time to see the major sights and just relax as well. When you have time, you allow yourself to really get the feel of a place. It's those little unexpected local stores or exploration of something that wasn't even on your "must do" list that make the vacations special. My family doesn't talk about some famous overlook (that everyone has a picture of) as much as they do the time my husband sat down and jammed with a Hawaiian band for a few minutes or the time a local woman named Bunny took the time to visit with us and ask how we were enjoying her home. That's the good stuff... Or deciding that you're going to sit on the beach for a few hours and not check another darn site off your list!

iceeu2 Oct 27th, 2005 12:22 PM

1st marriage..young folks? Maui

Repeat marriage..a little older? Kauai

I saw a great quote the other day and will credit the person when I find it again...

"What I used to call boring, I now call Paradise"....that's Kauai for me!

jacketwatch Oct 27th, 2005 01:37 PM

Just enjoy Maui and relax. I think you can bike down from Haleakala if you want to get it the rugged activity you like. Congrats. :-)

crazy4Hawaii Oct 27th, 2005 01:45 PM

My understanding was that Kauai was a given. The optional part was whether or not to move over to Maui for part of the time or stay put...

gyppielou Oct 27th, 2005 01:48 PM

I find there is never enough time on either island. I've spent 14 nights on Maui and I am looking forward to 14 nights on Kauai. May is a lovely time of year. If you are planning on staying at lovely resorts, then perhaps both islands are in order. Otherwise, I would choose a condo, house and really explore either island with a kitchen and w/d to clean all those adventurous clothes!

iamq Oct 27th, 2005 04:07 PM

Kal forgive me...Kaua'i for the entire time would be my choice.

-Bill

iceeu2 Oct 27th, 2005 04:11 PM

Billyboy and gyppielou...you kids get scolded and instantly become NO fun.

((r))

Kal Oct 27th, 2005 04:15 PM

Under advice of my attorney, I am unable to comment. [(

gyppielou Oct 27th, 2005 04:21 PM

Spitting Rolling on the Floor Laughing! Ya think we should have a fundraiser to pay for your legal counsil? I bet the Kauai Rescue Unit would bring their K'9 unit out for us! I do wear their tshirts dontcha know!

Kal Oct 27th, 2005 04:28 PM

Careful.....

My Geiger counter shows we're reaching the "intolerable level" on inane banter.

BUT.......since "atri" is very active I'd go to Maui because there's nothing to do on Kauai. ~:>

iamq Oct 27th, 2005 04:58 PM

i2,
I know when I've been a bad boy and need a spanking. Give me a few more days to warm up and forget the shame and humiliation.

-Bill ((R))

atrigirl Oct 28th, 2005 06:17 AM

Thanks for all the input. You are all quite helpful. We're leaning toward doing the entire trip in Kauai as it sounds like we'll have plenty to do and would rather stay on one island if we can. We're very active, but like to have more remote surroundings to play in than the tourist stuff.

iamq Oct 28th, 2005 06:59 AM

Thanks for replying back. Many times we never hear back from people asking questions. It's nice to know what you decided. Stick around!

-Bill

iceeu2 Oct 28th, 2005 08:58 AM

Hot dang, Sleeping Beautiful! Did you take some of Kal's meds?

iamq Oct 28th, 2005 09:00 AM

Rooster jerky works wonders!

-Bill

travelinwifey Oct 28th, 2005 09:31 AM

Ditto, for 8 days I would also stick to one island, too much time spent in between airports and car rental lines can be really time consuming at peak periods. A lot of people into biking and such choose Maui though if you want pure beauty and more quiet Kauai would be the better choice. Maui is personally my least favorite island but I think it has the most you're looking for athletic wise.