Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai or Big Island - what's your pick and why?

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Hawaii for a week this summer with our 5-year old. My husband and I love Kauai, into snorkeling, body surfing and mellow pace in beautiful surroundings. Have never been to BI, wondering if we'll like it as much or maybe more. If you recommend BI, what area would you stay in?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Have been to both islands. While I'm probably in the minority, I much prefer the BI over Kauai. With reference to snorkeling, IMO, BI has Kauai beat hands down. Snorkel Honaunau Bay or Kahaluu and you'll definitely be swimming with turtles. The Kohala Coast beaches are probably pretty good for body surfing but we prefer the Keauhou area (south of Kona) as it puts us closer to the better snorkeling sites. Don't forget, you could spend at least a whole day visiting Volcanoes National Park; well worth the long drive from the Kona side. Most of the nicer resorts are on the Kohala Coast (north of the airport); also where the nicer beaches are (if your looking for sandy beaches with some wave action). The Kona and Keauhou areas are loaded with some very nice condos, as well as a few hotels.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
sistahlou

Big Island!!! I am still working on getting there, and know once I do it will take multiple times to reach the peace I have on Kauai. Go for it! Just never have been able to make it the priority. Maybe now!

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Even though I live on Kaua`i, I say you can't go wrong with either island -- they both offer what IMHO is the best of Hawaii's culture, geography, and everything else. 8-)

Our last visit to Hawai`i island, we stayed Kona side -- few days at Hapuna Prince:
http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/brhapuna.html
and a few days at Outrigger Keauhou:
http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/b...erkeauhou.html
Loved this hotel! Checked in at night, and next morning opened our slider to discover that our room was over the lagoon -- and there were the honu (turtles), just swimming around and dining on limu (seaweed). This seemed to be a much more family-friendly hotel -- although the Hapuna Prince was very nice, too.

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Truly, you can't go wrong with either island! My husband and I have gone to Hawaii for the last 3 summers, and will return in August. We ALWAYS agonize over which to visit that year, and I can honestly say that we are always happy when we are there. We never wished we picked another island because we are content with where we are.

If I had to choose, though, I would say BI. It is so vast, diverse, and unique. It is simply stunning, and there is so much to see. We find it to be the least crowded of the 4 main islands, perhaps because of it's size? The snorkeling is fantastic, and it is so mellow and laid-back. Check out Hapuna Beach Prince Resort. A gorgeous beach, quiet resort, snorkeling and body-surfing right on site!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:54 AM

I would also suggest the south of Kona area myself. My son loved snorkeling with the turtles. As a coffee addict (not yet reformed!), I appreciated the great coffee and we visited a coffee farm.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM

My husband and I have spent time on all islands with Kauai being our favorite due to the lushness, hiking, peace/quiet and our general comfort and feeling "at home" there.
With that said, I echo all the posters in recommending the BI we really enjoyed our time there as it is so unique. Even though I personally was not that excited at first about the Volcanoes National Park, I have to admit that I found the exhibits about the geology of the islands absolutely fascinating (I knew the basic geology but it really drives home the point that the islands were all once over the same hot spot which is why Kauai is so jagged and eroded vs the BI which is still very "new" island as it is just moving off the hot spot and the next island is in the process of being formed as we speak).
The diversity of the BI is just so amazing - for example, we stayed on the Kona side in an area that felt like the moon (of course sprinkled with beautiful resorts where they must have placed a thin layer of topsoil, golf courses, etc on the lava which was odd!) and then in one day drove up and over the island to Hilo passing through beautiful pasture lands, past the dry and much colder Mauna Kea State park with a stop at the astronomy visitor center, down into the lush rain-forest feel of Hilo, and south to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with its arid lava landscapes. All those micro-climates in one day!

You'll really enjoy the BI!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, got the message loud and clear! We are heading to the BI in July. Aloha!