Kauai North Shore, Sept stay -- Things to do

Jun 18th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Dan

Kauai North Shore, Sept stay -- Things to do

I finally reserved the condo in Haena for 10 days in September and just made the flight reservations on Orbitz ($1000 each but they're direct flights -- ATL to SFO, SFO to LIH, LIH to LAX, LAX to ATL). We'll get into LIH around 11:45am and finally leave LIH at 9:15pm.

Looking at the things I'm interested in doing on Kauai, it seems that most of it is on the east and south side (obviously) but I wanted to stay on the north shore for its tranquility and beauty.

These are the "not to be missed" items from the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook:
Queens Bath, Kipu Falls, Wailua Falls, Spouting Horn, Opaeka Falls Lookout, Waimea Canyon Lookout.

Does anyone have any additional "not to miss" locations? I guess we should budget one entire day for Waimea Canyon. What things should we definately do on the north shore, besides snorkeling at Tunnels and swimming at Kee and doing some of the Kalalau Trail (like that isn't enough)? We'll dine at Zelo's Beach House and Cafe Hanalei for the sunset.

We'll do the helicopter trip with Inter-Island on our 3rd day there and the obligatory luau at Smith's Tropical Paradise. We'll take the guided tours at Limahuli Garden and at least McBryde Gardens. I'd also like to catch a couple of the Sunshine Farmers Markets. We'll catch the sunset with a dinner at The Beach House, have Sunday brunch at Kukui's, and experience the atmosphere of Keokis Paradise.

I'm also considering the ATV tour from www.kiputours.com and at least one nature tour from:
www.alohakauaitours.com -- Aloha Kauai Tour, Kauai Backroads Tour, Blue Hole Tour

or

www.kauainaturetours.com -- Mahaulepu Coast, Sleeping Giant Mountain, Waimea Canyon

Does anyone have experience with these tours?

What about the Butterfly Ranch at Kilohana Plantation -- anything to it?

Jun 18th, 2002, 02:14 PM
A

Perhaps this is an odd question, but if you are arriving in Lih at 11:45 am, what time do you leave Atlanta? I thought most flights left the east cost in the morning and arrived in the evening in LIH.

Jun 18th, 2002, 03:29 PM
kal

Dan, Did I miss a trip out to Polihale and a stop at the Brick Oven Pizza on the way back?
I know it's not NoShore-ish but neither are some of the other venues. Besides, why go all the way over and not see a sunset from Polihale or Kekaha? Do an early Waimea Canyon trip and then go to Polihale with a picnic lunch?

We had to pick from Kipu ATV and ATV Kauai. We picked ATVKauai due to our schedule. Let us know how it works out.

Do you golf?
If not, see if Princeville Golf course still rents carts after 4PM so you can just go out and tour the course. Take extra film. Got some good shots by doing this. Think it was $20 PP or per cart?

Kiluea Lighthouse. Secret Beach.
We hiked the Sleeping Giant on our own. One of the underrated hikes on Kauai.

A few sunset beers up at The Whaler Brew Pub past the Marriott. The Restaurant has gone down hill but the view is ab-fab. Especially if the big cruise ship is coming or going from Nawiliwili Harbor.

"Taco Tuesdays" at Dukes. And HULA PIE!
Kilohana Plantation was nice.

Mahalo,
Kal
194 mo' days

Jun 18th, 2002, 03:56 PM
alex

Kal, now you're killing me - Polihale for sunset and Brick Oven Pizza!!!

We did the Limahuli Gardens on our own - they give you a brochure with a walking tour. If you want more info, take the guided but I found the self tour to be fine. Make sure to wear plenty of sunblock - it takes a while and most of the paths are sunny. The couple ahead of us was very sunburned by the end.

Jun 18th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Dan

re the flight times. We have an overnight stay in SFO. Leave SFO 9:15am PST.

Yes, we'd do Waimea Canyon trip and go to Polihale, as well as some other West shore things.

re Princeville Resort. I'll keep the golf cart thing in mind. I inquired into if they offered non-guest pool passes, but they don't. Their only other suggestion was to get a day room (which starts at $405 a day) which is too much for me. I'll try just sneaking in or looking around the web on how to get good deals at Princeville.

re sunscreen -- I have four bottles of Rite-Aid SPF30, Sooth-A-Caine Gel, and a rashguard just waiting.

Jun 19th, 2002, 06:41 AM
John R.

My wife and I had two wonderful dinners at Postcards Cafe in Hanalei last October. The chef's specials were outstanding both nights... some of the best meals I've ever had and I've had more than a few good restaurant meals in NY, DC, SF, etc. to compare them with.
http://www.postcardscafe.com/

Jun 19th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Sarah

Hi Dan why so many commercial activities? I suggest buying Kathy Morey's Kauai trails and consider renting your own Kayak (cheaper than tour) up the Hanalei river. I would also consider hikes close to condo. Want to write to Kokee National Park and get some more trails info (go to website for details. Last year we did the Alakai Swamp I had actually written for the trails a head of time but for some ungodly reason did not think it was something I could not easily get again. Actually the trip back to the visitor center and the time taken away from considering different trails held us up considerably.

P.S Queens bath was closed last week and possibly indefinately due to drowning. Not my favorite spot anyway, hot, non-shaded and climb going and coming. www.starbulletin.com an online Honolulu based paper that keeps you up on news.

There are some moderate trails that beat the heck out of drive up lookout. Ultimate guide seems to do a good job so I only used them last year. This year I bought the Morey book and am finding all kinds of trails right near our house in Hanalei.Ulitmate guide authors actually suggest readers buy Morey's book and that is one the ways I know about it.

What is the name of your condo? You will have to keep us posted, I am always on the lookout for condos on Kauai.

We were here http://www.hanaleihouse-kauai.com/information.html last summer in the aloha unit doing the Mauka unit this August.

BTW I am on the same flight in August YEEEHAWWWWWW!!!! My ticket was 1040 and 1200., booked early and I am coming from NYC while some in my party are coming from Philadelphia. Remember those markets for fresh flower leis.

Book a free tour at the lighthouse in advance. This is an incredible setting and only hikes take you away from the lighthouse with a closer look at bird habitat. The eco system is protected against independent hiking as far as I know. I could be wrong on this though.

I would think more about hiking there are trails for every skill and fitness level. Check out this web shots I found when someone on this forum posted there pictures of a Hawaiian vacation. This sight by the way is an excellent place to see pictures of places you are considering. Most pictures here are from personal vacations so you are not viewing enhanced photos.
http://community.webshots.com/album/33565861BxleFd

Did you see the post about designating one person to get the bags and another to get rental car. Lihue airport is a snap so don't worry about loosing each other at all.

Jun 19th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Sarah

Yikes sorry to blabber on. I am always swept away with thoughts of Kauai.

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:17 AM
kal

Sarah,
It's easy to do, huh? ;^D
Kal
193!

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:23 AM
sarah

I think you and I should start a support group "Living Outside Kauai" focus group, we could call ourselves

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Suzie

Would the first step of the program be "Remove the photo of Kauai from your screen saver"?

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Sheila

Does the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook give you the easiest trails in Kauai? I have the book ordered. I am looking for easy trails for someone with moderate health. I walk everyday but am not experienced in hiking. I would love to find an easy trail with beautiful scenery approximately 2 miles if there is one. My trip is not until April 2003. thanks

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:56 AM
x

The guidebook is very upfront with the type of hike they describe. Moderate hikes really are moderate and in the hot sun they can be exhausting. They have many easy hikes in the guidebook.

Jun 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Sarah

Sheila I think it is best to buy a hiking book in addition to Ultimate guide. Moreys book just tells you about little walks here and there that Ultimate guide does not mention. We took a hike last summer I remember it as the Kahala trail but I need to check that, it was near lihue and very easy. I think it took us three hours but no climbing, light light rain and overcast cooled us off and kept the heat at bay. This trail was not in Ultimate guide found it in “Kauai off the beaten track”. Not a reason to buy this book but I would get a hiking book also.

I step up power walking or running 1-2 months before a trip to Kauai it does help. You see the difference if you are with someone that did not do this.

Remember also to hike when you see an overcast day it cuts the sun and you go a lot further. You just don't want to head into areas that are treacherously steep and muddy when you know it will or has rained.

Jun 20th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Stacie

I've got the books on order, thanks for the info. Does anyone have any favorites that are easy or easy-moderate? We're staying in Hanalei for 3 nights (after 7 nts. in Maui) & will have our 1 1/2 y.o. with us on one of our backs. However good of shape (hiking-wise) I was in 2-3 yrs. ago has faded fast!

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Dan

Sarah,
re the commercial activities, don't know if we'll do them all. I like to mix it up with commercial stuff that I couldn't do on my own (like helicopter and ATV tour) along with just swimming and relaxing. I'm not much of a hiker, so we'll probably keep it to the simple hikes. Heck, we may just stay at the beaches close to us most of the time -- never know 'til you get there.

re the day room at Princeville. Someone mentioned to check into using the spa there. That may allow access to the pool as well.

re: airport trick. I'm really hoping to be able to get by with one carry-on bag each.

I made my reservation with Alamo for a 4WD SUV w/ additional driver for the 10 days. All totaled w/ taxes, it's just under $510, which looks like a pretty good deal. Used Rate Code 6T.

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:00 AM
xxx

By the way, based on the great rates you were posting here for Kauai, I decided to try my luck using the 6T code for a rental on the Big Island. It worked! For a late July reservation on the Big Island I have a convertible for 7 days at a base rate of $207.69, for a savings of over $100. Probably worth trying for all the islands...

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:18 AM
3 angels

Rent a Jeep and go all around the Island!
Do not miss the Wimea Canyon and the Helicopter ride is unbelievable!
Have fun!

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Sarah

Dan the beach at tunnels/Haena is everything you could dream about Hawaii. You are going to love your nearby location

Jun 30th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Kat

We just went to Queens bath on Wednesday and it was great. We waited until there was a day without rain and went the next morning. It was a hike down hill and I wouldn't want to do it after a day of rain. Amazing place to go to. I wouldn't miss this for the world. The best pictures that I've ever taken in kauai. Remember the sun screen and have fun!