Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   kauai. No shore. two dinners (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-no-shore-two-dinners-652867/)

MJS88 Oct 14th, 2006 01:08 PM

kauai. No shore. two dinners

I'm coming to Kauai on the 23 of OCt- 2nd nov. 1st 4 nights on Anini beach. We want to cook home for two , and eat out for two. One casual... so I was thinking the Dolphin. We used to love it, but have not been to Kauai in a long while. And the second night out, we want, more, the nicer view dinner. I could live wothout the nicer part, just it seems like Hanalei Cafe would be the place. I would love to do what I wrote on months ago...something like when we go the the Mauna Kea on the big island, at sunset, for cocktails, with some relaxing Hawaiian entertainment... then eat. I am not interested in hearing jazz, etc, especially at sunset. Anyone have any thing to recomend on the 24,25, or 26th of Oct., re: veiw, relaxing Hawaiian entertainment. We're in the south on Poipu for the rest. Same goes for down there. I'm the one bringing fam from England, who's never been. For some reason, a luau doesn't sound right. Thanks

auntiemaria Oct 14th, 2006 01:24 PM

Cafe Hanalei at Princeville Resort is lovely -- but their sunset music is now pop/jazz.

Just down the road is Hanalei Bay Resort -- usually Hawaiian music, but you'll want to call to confirm what is being offered for the date/time you want to have the experience.

Most Thursday nights, at Sabella's in Princeville, Keli`i Kaneali`i -- great Hawaiian singer/composer/guitarist -- performs at 7pm during dinner.

When you're in Po`ipu, I highly recommend Leilani Rivera Bond and her hula review at the Hyatt -- great music, great sunset views, and a very good bar menu too.

MJS88 Oct 14th, 2006 01:34 PM

auntiemaria, what is Sabella's, and what is it like.View? I'll dig that Ultimate book out, but I like to hear from you all. I don't want to hear other types of music while in Hawaii. To me, it's like swiming with your pants on... just wrong.

Julie304 Oct 14th, 2006 01:44 PM

I think Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville would be a great choice for your "nice" dinner. It's pricey but you absolutely cannot beat the atmosphere and view, IMO. There was no entertainment that I can recall when we were there at 5:30 for the Friday night seafood buffet. Perhaps it starts later, after sunset? We went to Sabellas on Thursday night and thought the singer was very good but the setting can't hold a candle to Cafe Hanalei's, so I guess it's a trade-off. If you go late enough to catch the entertainment at 7:00 it will already be dark and too late to see any view by that time anyway.

For your more casual meal, we thought Dolphin had a nice tropical atmosphere but we weren't that impressed with the food. The salads were good. Entrees were just OK. Plus, don't know if you mind waiting for a table since they don't take reservations? We didn't make it to Zelos this trip, so I'm not sure how they've been for dinner lately but it looked to be fairly casual w/ a pleasant atmosphere. Have also heard very good things about Neide's, although we didn't make it there either. Will let the long time Kauai experts weigh in.

As far as your south shore dinners are concerned, we had our best meal of the trip at Roy's in Poipu Shopping Village. Unfortunately, no view at all, but the food was excellent. The Beach House was also very good food(view was great) but make your resrvations now if you plan to go and want a table by the railing.

MJS88 Oct 14th, 2006 02:04 PM

julie... right, on the time of year thing, and getting dark. right, on the resevetions too. thanks!!!!

prewitt25 Oct 14th, 2006 08:57 PM

Beach House in Poipu is very nice with a great view (it's right on the water and completely open). Of course it's on the south shore of the island, which isn't all that far, but you know that traffic can get pretty crummy around Lihue.

auntiemaria Oct 15th, 2006 10:17 AM

MJS88:

Sabella's is Italian-Mediterranean. View is across road and palms, to mountain tops which surround Hanalei Bay.

May I suggest...sunset & drinks in the Princeville Hotel's "Living Room" (2-story floor-to-ceiling glass wall, offering views of Hanalei Bay, the ocean, the mountains, and the sunset). Then to Sabella's for dinner and Hawaiian music?

Sure wish I could recommend a dinner spot which offers great views, great service _and_ Hawaiian music on the northshore...but none exist (wah!)

FYI -- regarding Po`ipu eateries others have suggested (Roy's, BeachHouse), neither of them offer Hawaiian music.

iamq Oct 15th, 2006 02:12 PM

We saw a free music/hula show at the Poipu Shopping Center. We had a seat, watched a very fun show with excellent dancing and then went next door and had dinner at Roy's. A great evening! Check it out when you are in the area.

-Bill