Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai. New Marriott Timeshare~ Waiohai Beach resort on Poipu Beach??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-new-marriott-timeshare-waiohai-beach-resort-on-poipu-beach-290961/)

JuneBride Feb 21st, 2003 02:23 AM

Kauai. New Marriott Timeshare~ Waiohai Beach resort on Poipu Beach???

Hello,<BR> We are staying at The new Marriott Waiohai Beach Resort on Poipu Beach, this June. Anybody hear any info or seen construction progress on this place? Very curious how it looks....<BR> I know this property was an old resort hit by the hurricane about 10yrs ago. Marriott bought it out and it redo'ing it. It is a timehare resort, but we have a reservation and don't have to listen to their pitch. <BR> I've seen floor plans, but want to know what it's really like! Any info appreciated!<BR>

Fletcher921 Feb 21st, 2003 06:43 AM

I'll be watching responses here - we are reserved for november. Check out the site below for news on all timeshare properties. You have to register to perfrom a search I think, but you can look through the Marriott section and find some info. Babs<BR>http://www.tug1.net

beachbum Feb 21st, 2003 07:23 AM

We sat through the pitch last May and later drove by the property. By appearances, the &quot;redo&quot; is from ground up; everything is brand new. The architectural renderings we saw showed numerous 2-3 story buildings, pools, tennis courts, and other amenities you'd expect. Looked very nice, and it's got a great location on Poipu.<BR><BR>Is construction completed?

Kal Feb 21st, 2003 07:48 AM

b'bum, We drove thur in Jan and they were still a'hammerin'.<BR>We took a peek at the info they had on Waohai at the other Marriott in Lihue and the whole thing looked pretty nice.<BR><BR>BTW, was &quot;The Pitch&quot; painful? They keep calling us to go over and we hate those things! Even if it's basically a free trip to Kauai.<BR>Kal

beachbum Feb 21st, 2003 08:24 AM

Ia'Orana (tahitian for aloha) Kal,<BR>Yeah, they throw out some pretty attractive bait to get you there. Ours was five nights including car for $600. We were upgraded to a pool/partial-ocean/bay view room, so no complaints here. And when we checked in with the time-share folks, they gave us the impression that we didn't have to sit through the pitch (guess they think it'll sell itself). But my wife signed us up in exchange for another $100 of on-site credits.<BR><BR>When my wife and the salesperson started talking about their children, I knew we were in trouble. It was brutal!! 90 minutes quickly turned into three hours. But we persevered. Time-share just doesn't fit into our vacation life style. I don't know what your Kauai deal is, Kal, but even though we said no, I think it might make economic sense for some.<BR>Mauruuru,<BR>b'bum.<BR>

Kal Feb 21st, 2003 09:27 AM

Thanks bragh,<BR>We were looking for an excuse to go to Kauai in June/July (to refresh my <BR>tan?) and this may be a good way to do it.<BR>Maybe I'll go to The Whaler Brew Pub before going into any TS presentation?<BR><BR>A lot of our friends and relatives own timeshares and when they try and explain why they like them, how they have to use them, etc we just scratch our heads.<BR><BR>Like you, they are just not our cuppa tea.<BR><BR>Now, if I could afford to BUY an oceanfront condo at Waiohai, Coconut Beachboy, etc. I'm there! <BR>Kal

MGB Feb 24th, 2003 11:16 AM

We were at the Waiohai the first week of February. We traded our Marriott at Hilton Head for a week there. The rooms are terrific. All are 2 bedroom, 2 bath units with stacked laundry in Guest bath. Both bedrooms have windows to the outside. Unfortunately we had &quot;construction view&quot; you could see the beach and pool at a distance. The beach area was very nice and the pools were nicely sculpted with lots of tourches etc. There is snorkeling available right there and sunsets were great. Staff was very helpful, no high preassure to go to the presentation. <BR>Kitchen sitting area nice also, with granite counter tops and such.

Kal Feb 24th, 2003 11:28 AM

MGB,<BR>Thx for the info but was attendance at the presentation mandatory?<BR><BR>Kauai is one place where we def. go out of our way to avoid the hassle factor.<BR>Thx,<BR>Kal<BR><BR>ps..we had some friends juts get back and they said the &quot;Golden Gate Bridge Project&quot; is still ongoing! Funny.

brollend Feb 25th, 2003 08:35 PM

How does the pool and beach at Waiohai compare with the Marriott in Lihue? Thanks!

bigdadreed Mar 15th, 2004 02:42 PM

I am also wondering how the pool and beach at Waiohai compare with the Marriott resort in Lihue? There are no photos that I can find yet on the web of the new property.

I am starting research for a family vacation for summer of 05 &amp; like the idea of the the condo-type room but with resort amenities (including a great pool &amp; beach).

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

kakalena Mar 15th, 2004 03:32 PM

Hi,

About the Marriott comparisons on Kauai. The Waiohai is smaller/more intimate and w/less services. The Lihue property is a full scale resort. The beach at Poipu where the Waiohai is located is consistently rated one of the best in the world but it is very small, crowded and lots of coral. We don't understand the rating being so high although it is okay. The beach at Lihue is a protected bay,large, deep, sandy bottom and very gentle waves. I'd stay at the Lihue property hands down of the two. The Waiohai is nice though.

kakalena

kakalena Mar 15th, 2004 03:36 PM

I noticed you said you have kids too. Lihue much better for them , more room ro run and huge pool! Not sure if they have kitchenettes for the hotel portion but know they have them in the timeshare area.

1tiredmama Mar 15th, 2004 06:36 PM

We stayed there in September '03. Our &quot;villa&quot; in Hale 1 on the 3rd floor was a very nice ocean view room with a full kitchen and two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room. Very spacious. We received a promotional offer that was a great deal. The time-share presentation was optional, but I did a quick run through without hubby and kids just for info. Construction was running behind at the time, and they had several huge tarps covering areas they were working on, which was not attractive, but did not bother us since our room was not facing the construction. From our room we could see the &quot;shell&quot; of the hotel next door that was destroyed by the hurricane. I hope someone buys and rebuilds that property. It could be really lovely. Starbucks coffee in their market cafe was a hit with my husband. I believe another pool was being built, but at the time only two were open. One was a very nice large free form pool, and the other was a shallow &quot;baby&quot; pool which my toddler loved. Their stretch of beach is great for snorkeling just a little ways left toward the park. Saw monk seals everyday. Across the street a ways is Keoki's Paradise and Roy's within a nice open air &quot;mall&quot;. You can find something yummy there if you don't want to drive all the way to Princeville. Poipu is very convenient if you have a family. Don't miss Lappert's Ice Cream in Koloa!!!

iceeu2 Mar 16th, 2004 04:41 AM

Hi JuneBride....don't mean to hijack your thread, but beachbum and kal how do you get the Marriott offer? I always tell people we are not home if they phone so I can't get an invite there, can I do it somehow thru their website?
BTW, we stayed at the timeshare portion in Lihue (used our Marriott points) and did the presentation there. It was painless...I poor mouthed and my DH (a really nice guy) acted very distracted. The sales person was anxious to get onto potential buyers.....so, she gave us our gift and voucher (can't remember if we took money or reward points) and got us out of there.
Anyway....after all of this rambling....how do we get one of the offers?

audra Mar 16th, 2004 05:11 AM

Don't want to hijack your thread either but this is a similar question...

We just received a HILTON Grand Vacation Club invitation for 6 days, 5 nights at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island, &quot;from only $699 plus tax&quot;.

However, i scoured the invitation and NOwhere on the invitation does it say we must sit through a time-share presentation, although I know this IS a time share hotel.

We have never been to Hawaii so we are intriqued. However, is this 1) a good location and property 2) a good value (it must be, right?) 3) will they spring the time-share presentation on us when we arrive?

Thanks for any advice and comments!

NativeHorn Mar 16th, 2004 07:41 AM

My wife and I stayed there in January this year. First time to Hawaii. We also received the 5 nts. + rental car for $600 deal (received unsolicited, via mail offer).

If you want to relax, this is a GREAT place to be! The 2BR 2BA villas are just outstanding, almost 1200 square feet. Full kitchen allowed us to eat some meals in. No restaurant on property, although there is a market within the property where you can pick up a wood-fired pizza and other simple prepared meals. (And a Starbucks, of course - part of their global domination plan...).

It is brand new from the ground up, and several buildings still under construction. The construction did not bother us though, didn't hardly hear it. Nice, relaxing pool with full service bar just steps away. Also, we had underground parking garage, so the rental didn't burn your butt off when leaving for an early dinner.

Location is great - shopping center just across the road has several restaurants and other shopping. Kalaheo (sp?) is about a 15 minute drive, and it has a few good restaurants.

Now for the time-share sales pitch: this was the best deal I've ever had at one of these things. We committed to listen to the pitch in exchange for 15,000 Marriott Reward points. Told the salesperson right off the bat that although the property is lovely, we just weren't interested in listening to his pitch or touring the property. He had people lined up to see him, so in 10 minutes, we were out of there with 15,000 points (that is equivalent to spending $1,500 at a Marriott property).

Bottom line: I liked Marriott Waiohai Beach Club so much that I would go back and pay $300 a night, which I believe is their current standard rate for the 2BR villas.

audra Mar 16th, 2004 10:08 AM

To the top - Anyone know Anything about the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, in my post above?

Thanks!

audra Mar 16th, 2004 06:29 PM

Topping again - does anyone know anything about the Hilton Vacation Club, as posted above? Thank you for anything you can tell me.

vengle Mar 18th, 2004 08:57 AM

Audra,

Just booked at the Hilton Waikola myself and I own a timeshare at the Waiohai. I can answer a few things...that is an excellent rate in a beautiful resort on the Big Island. There is no requirement for a tour...however, you may get some push when you are there. The Hilton first opened as a Hyatt and the grounds will speak for themselves...the deal is great you can't get into any resort like that resort in Hawaii for $139 per night. So I jumped on it knowing that I won't be purchasing.

For JuneBride, I own at the Waihoai and toured last year and have my trip back planned for Jan. 2005. My husband and I fell in Love with the resort...although it is exquisite it and excellent appointments it isn't a &quot;resort hotel&quot; so to speak. I believe you will be very happy. It isn't a high rise but is truly Old Hawaii quaint for a Marriott. It's pools are very nice and the location is key.

uhoh_busted Mar 18th, 2004 11:21 AM

As retirement nears, and the kids' educations are paid for, I actually find myself interested in timeshares. What is the ballpark price for a 2br2ba at these places?