Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai/Maui Forecasts (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-maui-forecasts-401436/)

ginadc Feb 20th, 2004 07:07 AM

Kauai/Maui Forecasts

In the Murphy's Law of my travel plans, the forecasts for Maui and Kauai are "partly cloudy" and perfect-looking up to our arrival next Wednesday, the 25th, when it looks as if a storm front is moving in. "Cloudy" "thunderstorms" "showers" seem to be forecast on both islands for every day starting Wednesday on both hawaiiweathertoday and weather.com.

Now, I know that a forecast more than about four days out is mostly a guess. Nonetheless, I'm a bit bummed. But I've heard that forecasts of "thunderstorms" or "showers" in Hawaii are very different than elsewhere, and that very few days are all stormy. Can we hope for at least a decent amount of sunny weather? This is our first trip to Hawaii and we probably won't be able to get back for awhile. (We will be staying on the south side of both islands, which I know will help weather-wise.)

dlai Feb 20th, 2004 10:12 AM

Partly cloudy in Hawaii is still usually pretty sunny and generally gorgeous. Even the storms are usually ephemeral and dramatic...I wouldn't worry-you'll probably have mostly great weather. So don't torture yourself reading those forecasts!

riggsie Feb 20th, 2004 10:34 AM

I have been to Maui in December, May and March.. If it rains it usually isnt for long ..except maybe in December. It rained most nights in December. If you find it raining just drive to the other side of the island, it will usually be sunny there. I still think a rainy day on Maui beats a sunny day on the main land!!!!! Have fun and just try to relax.

auntiemaria Feb 20th, 2004 11:15 AM

As already stated, rain here in the islands isn't anything like rain on the mainland.

Here it is warm (daytime temps right now are in the low 80s), and the rain brings us those waterfalls and rainbows you lust for. :-)

Put on your swimsuit, throw a shirt and shorts over that, add some can-get-wet footgear, grab a hat/cap to shield your face, and it won't matter when/if it rains!

Kal Feb 20th, 2004 02:54 PM

As Auntie M can vouch on Kauai weather, it's almost like Chicago "If you don't like the weather, wait a few mins and it will change".

We don't know how many times the forecasts were wrong on The Weather Channel's local broadcasts this past trip.

No rain-No Rainbows....but not on vacation!!! ((R))

ginadc Feb 20th, 2004 07:14 PM

I hope you all are right! The forecast still looks dismal...crossing my fingers though.

Jay26 Feb 20th, 2004 11:27 PM

We just returned from Kauai. One of the locals was telling me how they've had a lot of rain lately, but we had great weather. We were there 2/8 to 2/15. It was mostly sunny everyday. there were always clouds, but they protected us from too much sun. One evening coming back from the north shore it poured, but each day was nice. Like they say don't worry. I'm sure the sun will shine for you : )

shelbyl1 Feb 22nd, 2004 02:28 PM

Just returned from Maui- believe me, you do not want days without clouds! That sun got so hot on days without clouds! The perfect days had clouds and a few rain drops.

bizdawg98 Feb 22nd, 2004 07:35 PM

In the same boat, we are set to arrive Wednesday the 25th. Looks like the first two days should be pretty nice, but I have noticed the rain keeps moving back each day, so hopefully by the time we get there, the rain will have gone completely from the forecast. Looking forward to Aloha spirit!!

ginadc Feb 24th, 2004 03:58 AM

:: sigh :: really not loving this forecast from the Nat'l. Weather service: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/HI001.html.

Summary: heavy rain, thunderstorms, high winds, flooding starting Thursday. Sounds like it's not just limited to windward areas either. I expected periodic showers, especially on Kauai, and figured the "just drive to another part of the island" advice would also be useful. But I'm going to be seriously bummed if we're trapped in our hotel room during massive downpours for half our trip.

JohnD Feb 24th, 2004 04:18 AM

Appears to be an upcoming weather period with maximum waterfall potential, if you do venture out let us know how many waterfalls you find.:?