Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai lodging (condo) recommendations for 2 couples

Jul 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

We are looking to go with another couple to kauai end of feb. beginning of March for 8 nights. We definitely want some beach time but also plan on doing some hiking and seeing the beauty of the island. We are leaning toward getting a condo or house, so we can cook some of our meals. It is our first time to hawaii. I was leaning towards the east shore for convenience between north and south shores, but I am not completely sold. We are hoping to get a 2 bedroom for between $200-$300 a night. If you think it would be better to be in the north or south shore we are not completely sold on east shore right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM

You are correct the East shore is sort of mid-way between everything you would want to drive to on the island. The North shore is more beautiful and lush but in the winter months the surf is high and dangerous and the snorkeling is not good that time of year. The South shore is warmer and sunnier than the North in winter months and is better for swimming and snorkeling that time of year. Great condos on the southern beach (Poipu Beach) can be found at the Waiohai Marriott. Also, the Marriott at Kalapaki Beach is an excellent on-the-beach resort on the south-east part of the island. I'm not familiar with condos on the East shore but other posters will be able to advise you on that.
Before you make your final decision of which part to the island to stay on, you might want to read the detailed descriptions of each area in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Doughty. It will also give you detailed reviews of all the major condo developments in each area.
Also, for an experience of a lifetime, I would recommend you consider taking the helicopter tour of the island. You will see awesome scenery that cannot be seen by car.
Jul 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Monterybob Thanks for the tips. I am currently reading the Ultimate Kauai Guidbook, it is great. definitely going to take a helicopter trip. During Feb/Mar would you recomend the south shore over the east?
Jul 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM

I am partial to the north shore, but for a first time visit at that time of year I would suggest Poipu. My favorite condo in the area is Kiahuna Plantation. Here a couple of sights that handle a variety of homes and condos in the Poipu area.

http://www.parrishkauai.com/
http://www.kauairentals.com/
http://www.pbvacationrentals.com/

Kauai Underground is a good guide book.
Jul 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I second iamq's recommendation on Kiahuna Plantation. I've stayed their twice and it was wonderful. The units are a short walk through beautiful grass and garden areas from one of Kauai's best beaches. The units are small 2 story clusters. The Waiohai is right next to KP and is a high rise condo building. As far as south vs east shore. I have never stayed on east shore, just driven through and stopped for shopping and eating. But based on that experience IMHO the Poipu has more of a tropical resort feeling than the east. There are more commercial areas in the east with traffic and congestion, whereas the south seems more rural and peaceful and I've never experienced traffic in and around the south areas. The east shore has some good places to eat but they are mostly small, local style and "in town". The south side has more upscale style restaurants in more peaceful settings.
Jul 13th, 2009, 07:16 AM

The east shore is better when you are staying there than when you are just driving through. I like the central location and the wide variety of places to eat and shop. It is perhaps not for everyone, though. It has more of a "local style" atmosphere than either the more tourist-oriented south or north shores. It tends to be cooler and cloudier than Poipu, if that makes a difference to you. My favorite condo complexes on the east side are Lanikai and Lae Nani. They are on a quiet little side road, but still walking distance to the Coconut Plantation Marketplace. I prefer to rent directly from owners, or from on-island agencies that post photos of the actual units. An excellent agency is this one:
www.Kauaivacationrentals.com.
They have a few units at Lanikai and Lae Nani, but several more condos and houses in the area that might be of interest to you. Prosser Realty and Remax Realty also have good rental divisions.
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM

The units are small 2 story clusters. The Waiohai is right next to KP and is a high rise condo building

I love Kiahuna, mainly for the grounds and beach (the pool is across the street at the tennis club). But FWIW, the grounds at Waiohai are spectacular (look at the "traveler's photos" on TripAdvisor -- they're very accurate). There are two really nice pools. Also, Waiohai is not a "high-rise condo building", it's 8 or 10 "mid-rise" (maybe 3-4 stories) buildings built in a horseshoe with the two "ends" of the horsehoe at the beach.
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM

sf7307? Didn't you just stay at the Waiohai?
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM

I did - but it wasn't "just", it was summer of 2007.
Jul 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Really? We were on Kauai then too! We were up in Hanalei with our umbrellas, galoshas, sweaters, and bug spray.
Jul 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the advice. I appreciate it. I know our wives probably would like a little better weather so maybe I should look closer at the south shore recomendations. I am more of the hiking type so I wanted to be more centrally located, so we could do morning hikes and afternoons by the beach. The info is great. Is the weather alot better in feb/mar on the south shore compared to the east shore? Also do you think it is better to book a long time in advance or closer departure? Are the prices pretty set in stone or do they negotiate we would probably be staying 8 nights.

thanks again
Jul 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM

For two years in a row we stayed on the south shore and used it as base for exploring the island from West to North and never had a problem with the driving times to get to the various destinations.

I don't have any experience with the east. Maybe iceeU2 and Kal can comment as they are east shore devotees.
Jul 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM

In response to weather on east vs south----weather varies unpredictably as you drive from one part of Kauai to another. There are everchanging microclimates on all parts of the island--so no weather predictions can be set in stone. That being said, when I was in Kauai in January, some days as I would drive from the east side to the south, the sky would change from cloudy to sunny as I approached the southern shore. However, it didn't happen everyday and would vary sometimes during the day. Then, some days I would drive from a sunny climate in Poipu, and when I got to Kokee State Park it would be pouring down rain or thick fog. So be prepared for anything as you drive around. (It's all part of the excitement.)
Re: your morning hike. There is a great hiking trail on top of the ocean side cliffs on the south side. You catch it by going to the beach in front of the Grand Hyatt in Poipu and looking for the dirt trail that goes up the cliff. Another nice hike in the south is the paved walking trail that goes from the beach front of the Hyatt up over the hill behind it and then on down to Brenneke's Beach.
Re: reservations--- The farther ahead you reserve, the more likely you will get the best units available. The occupancy rate in the islands is way down to 60% so it couldn't hurt to try to negotiate a lower price but may experience has been that the rental managers are more apt to give discounts when they are desperate--which would be about 1-2 weeks prior to your arrival date. I prefer to pay full price to get the best units way in advance.
I hope this all helps.
Jul 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Check out The Waipouli Beach Resort for a great east side condo. Lots of listings on vrbo.com
Jul 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Townsend, I would think the Marriott's prices would be less negotiable because although it's a timeshare resort, it's operated like a hotel. Kiahuna, however, are all privately-owned condos, that are "managed" by two primary management companies (I think Outrigger and Castle). Some private condo owners advertise their units in various places so you might be able to negotiate a price (for example, the local PBS magazine has ads in the back and owners advertise there, or at least they used to, I haven't looked in a long time).
Jul 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Lots of Marriott timeshare owners rent their condos. Check out vrbo and also redweek.com
Jul 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. It gives me some great information. I think I am leaning to staying in the south shore and driving to east and north shore. Thanks for the tips on the trails and different locations to look for condos they have been very helpful.

Thanks,
Jul 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM

An excellent condo choice in Poipu for two adult couples would be Whaler's Cove. It is a small luxury complex with a prime oceanfront location in a quiet corner of Poipu. This website is one option:
www.whalers-cove.com
You can also find units through Parrish, Great Vacation Retreats, and vrbo. The only drawback for some is that it is not directly on a sandy beach; just a short drive however.
I got excellent rates for my November trip. Feb & March are very popular months on Kauai; it is not too early to book now.
I would keep checking back, though, to see if better rates become available before your cancellation date (usually 30- 60 days in prime season)
Jul 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Barbara,
Whalers cove looks nice how far of a walk is it too a beach? Which beach is it close too.

Thanks,
Mark
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Mark,
I can let you know more about the beach access close to the condo when I return in November. It is supposed to be walking distance to Baby Beach, but I think that is just a small strip of sand with quite a few rocks in the water. My plan is to drive 5 minutes to Poipu Beach, which I love. There are 2 great sections. One is by the Sheraton, for which there is a small public parking lot on Hoonani Road. The other section is at Poipu Beach Park. I usually go there because there's lots of close parking and a lifeguard. I also plan to use that lovely oceanfront pool a lot! I stopped by the complex for a look-see a couple years ago and was very impressed with the setting and size/layout of the units. Some of the 2 bedroom units are town house style, with the bedrooms upstairs. Others are all on one level, which is our preference. I happen to like ground floor with lots of foliage around the lanai. The unit we selected is #212 from this website: www.greatvacationretreats.com.