Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai in January (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-in-january-481590/)

soboyle Oct 20th, 2004 06:27 PM

Kauai in January

Hi All,
We are planning our first trip to Hawaii with our 2 year old daughter, we have 15 nights to spend and want to make the most of them, we are gravitating toward a stay on Kauai but are wondering if we want to fit in another island with the time we have, since we are flying into Oahu is it worth a few days there to see the sights? Our ideal vacation is to mix beach/snorkeling time with day outings, short hikes taking in the natural wonders, and since I am a photographer I will be spending a fair amount of time shooting the landscapes and scenery. Fancy hotels are not a priority, in fact we like smaller places that are more personable and are less expensive. Looking for recommendations for inexpensive accomidation on Kauai, preferably in the $70-90 per night range, a cottage would be perfect with the baby. I have a number of questions about the area, first, what can we expect for weather in mid january? I have heard it can get windy and rough at that time of year, will there still be plenty of opportunities for snorkeling and beach swimming? We are considering the Hanalei area of north Kauai as a place to spend a week, but will the weather cooperate at this time of year for beach time?
Any comments are welcome, since I am just starting to research the trip, I don't really know the right questions yet.

pdxgirl Oct 21st, 2004 07:32 AM

You will have better weather on the south side of kauai in January (Poipu).

auntiemaria Oct 21st, 2004 07:48 AM

Aloha from the north shore of Kaua`i 8-)

With regard January weather in the islands, it's our rainy season. While the north and east (windward) shores get most of the rain year 'round, winter rains can engulf a whole island (or the entire chain of islands).

With regard "$70-$90" rental during the winter high-tourist season, you'll need to hunt for something that low. And if you are planning to visit _this_ winter, don't delay that hunt (most winter visitors have booked their condo/cottage rental 6-12 months in advance).

The winter storms come and go -- some days the beach and surf are delightful and welcoming, most days they are not. And the day following a downpour will have our rivers and streams filled with runoff, turning bays murky. This usually is churned clear by the surf the day after that.

Our north shore is spectacular, but if snorkeling and beach time is paramount to your trip, you might want to head toward Po`ipu this visit.

BrendaM Oct 21st, 2004 10:07 PM

You might try the Prince Kuhio condos in the Poipu area. They are individually owned and can be rented directly from the owners on VRBO.COM or throught Hawaii rental agencies. This is a 3 story complex with studios, 1&2 bedroom units. No elevator, small pool, across the street from the water, some good ocean views. Place is reasonable and clean. I think you might get the best deal here for a condo on the South shore.

CaliNurse Oct 21st, 2004 11:06 PM

It is *absolutely* a good idea to "fit in" another island such as Oahu, especially since you've so much time for your trip!!! For a photographer, or anyone, Oahu is an incredible place (though, of course, all of the Hawaiian islands are).
I recommend that you (virtually) run, not walk, to Amazon.com and order the fantastic guidebook called "Driving and Discovering Hawaii: Oahu" by Richard Sullivan. It is a photographic guidebook that not only describes where each amazing photo was taken, but also gives specific walking/driving directions on how to get to that place!!
There is a huge choice of inexpensive hotels in Oahu which have kitchenettes. I would first try the Ohana chain at www.outrigger.com, and search under their "Travel Club" rates. (It will mean buying the Entertainment card/book, which you can get on-line at Entertainment.com and which can specifically be for Hawaii, so that you have the use of all sorts of coupons for Hawaiian restaurants, attractions, etc).
Aloha!!
oh--we had my then 2 yr old grandson with us last time in Kauai, and he had a blast!!

CaliNurse Oct 21st, 2004 11:21 PM

Since you'll be traveling with your little daughter, I highly, strongly, recommend, for at least one of your guidebooks to Kauai, the current edition of "Kauai Underground Guide" by Lenore Horowitz. It is VERY family and child- oriented. In fact, she gives part of her profit from the book to children's organziations in Kauai. Lenore raised a large family through all ages and stages during trips to Kauai for 20 yrs, and she shares her experiences with readers. All three times I have been to Kauai, her tips were "right on" for my children and grandchildren--and for the adults accompanying them!

soboyle Oct 22nd, 2004 06:08 AM

Thanks very much for the great information, so it seems that our thought of staying in Hanalei bay area might not be a good one at this time of year. Can you really go wrong staying anywhere on Kauai? Seems everything is within an hours drive more or less, perhaps we will look along the south shore to better our chances of good beach/swimming/snorkeling conditions, and we can drive to the other sights. Any recommendation for inexpensive cottage or condo rentals along the south shore are welcome.

Kal Oct 22nd, 2004 06:27 AM

Aloohaaaa,
We go over every Dec/Jan for a few weeks and always say "Better rained on in Kauai than "40 degree rained on" back home!"

Besides, "No Rain-No Rainbows"! ((R))

We stayed at The Prince Kuhio one year. Nice place.
We were in a unit that was still close enuff to hear the ocean which is what we NEED on our Kauai trips!

Very short walk to The Beach House and that nice little beach right outside of it. Good snorkeling.

Mrs. Kal liked the location becuase it was a nice jog up to the Spouting Horn and back.
If I recall correctly, 3 floors and no elevator so pack light?!?!

67 mo' days until I continue my extensive research!!!;)
Kal

soboyle Oct 22nd, 2004 08:05 AM

My continental miles get us into Honolulu, so we need to book flights to Kauai. Unfortunately we will be getting into honolulu at 7:30 pm so need to spend a night on Oahu before flying out the next mornign to Kauai, looking for suggestions of hotels near the airport that are inexpensive but clean, and also any tricks to reducing flight costs on the inter island hops. Either airline better than the other? Any coupons or other deals?

auntiemaria Oct 22nd, 2004 12:43 PM

soboyle:

Re: Po`ipu condos, the Kuhio Shores complex is often overlooked (because the exterior is stark cinder block; no pool), but all units are oceanfront, and the views are chin-dropping awesome:
http://www.kuhio-shores.com/

The Prince Kuhio that Kal mentioned is also very nice, just across the street:
http://www.poipuconnection.com/poipu-prince-kuhio/

Re: hotels near the airport -- just two:
http://reservations.airporthotelguid...10078643O.html
http://reservations.airporthotelguid...10205652O.html

Otherwise, you'll have to head into Waikiki...

Deloris Oct 22nd, 2004 09:50 PM

If you ave to go to Hawaii in January, head for West Maui. Kauai is guaranteed rain and cool, often 68-70 degrees, hardly tropical. The water is very rough in most of Hawaii from December to March. Don't be tempted to body surf. Broken necks are a regular event.
If you are escaping bad mainland US weather, it is better than most mainland states, but not "tropical".
Plan accordingly.

soboyle Oct 26th, 2004 06:17 AM

Maui or Kauai, that is the question, is the weather that much better and different on Maui than on Kauai in January? We dont want to be rained out on our once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii, so we want to make the right choice on which island to go to.
I'm hoping for feedback on where to go on Maui and hotel recommendations there that are under $100 per night. What does Maui have the Kauai doesn't?

ET Oct 26th, 2004 10:52 AM

January is the wettest month of the year anywhere in the Hawaiian Islands. Whether you will get more or less rain on Maui or Kauai will partially depend on where you stay. On Kauai, if you stay on the north end of the island, you can guarantee yourself a really good chance for a lot of rain, and the surf will be a lot rougher. On the south side of the island (Poipu area), you will get much less rain, probably less than you would get on Maui. What does Maui have that Kauai doesn't - more development, more glitz and more crowds.

elmosat Oct 26th, 2004 08:20 PM

We have been to Kauai 3 times in the last 10 years. All visits during late January, Febuary. Poipu area will have the best weather this time of year. Exploring the whole island is not difficult. Check out www.staykauai.com. This is a by owner web site, we have rented their Kuhio Shores condo and loveit. They also have 2 other units, one accross the road from Kuhio Shores that would fall in your price range, I just checked the availability calandar and they are showing some avaibility in January. I can't speak for this unit, but our unit has always been clean and very comfortable. The owners seem to take pride in their units and we have planned our vacation around their availability. Good luck!

auntiemaria Oct 26th, 2004 10:17 PM

Re: Kaua`i winter temperatures

We live on the north shore -- with the exception of Koke`e, it's got the lowest temperatures on the island.

Winter daytime temps are usually in the lower 80s; overnight winter lows are usually near 70, but can dip down to mid- to upper-60s when a cold front passes through.

lcuy Oct 26th, 2004 10:47 PM

Since you have to spend a night in Honolulu, why not spend a few days?
The airport hotels (both of them) are not nice...they are only decent.

Check out the Ohana hotels in Waikiki..This budget category of the Outrigger chain will give you the best deals. You are never more than 4 blocks from the beach in Waikiki, and some are much closer. There are condos on Oahu as well. Try VRBO.com or the rental offices for the Ilikai, Discovery Bay or Island colony condos. You might get a decent price if you stay a week; not all rent for shorter periods.

Waikiki is on the south side of Oahu, so the should be calm water in January.

Fun things for a 2 year old include the Aquarium and zoo- both in Kapiolani Park (the Diamond Head end of Waikiki), the Childrens Discovery Center in Kakaako, Hanauma Bay (take a big clear plasic jar so she can look at the fish without needing to snorkle).

You can find several easy hikes with great scenery:
Aiea Heiau, Manoa Falls, Wa`ahila ridge, the inside of Diamond Head, the trail by the Pali lookout.

Byodo-in Temple has a huge gong, peacocks and Koi to feed, plus the temple (an exact reproduction of one in Japan)and giant Buddah for you to photograph.

Arizona memorial includes the free boat ride, and Waikiki beach can be a lot of fun for a little one on an inner tube (with mom or dad holding on).

Winter is a busy time of year in Hawaii, so book soon... Good luck!

Kal Oct 27th, 2004 07:51 AM

AuntieM,
I was wondering just what island the poster was talking about?!?!?

While there isn't any guarantee on "no rain" anywhere in Hawaii in Jan., until last year, we seldom ran into rainy weather where we couldn't do anything on Kauai.
Last year, you may recall, we got hit with those 2 days of winds around 20-30 mph and gusts up to 60ish with horizontal rain to match and even the golfers didn't go out! 8-}

The year before we watched the storms miss Kauai and hit Oahu and Maui, so go figger'.

We've been going over every Dec/Jan since early 90s (we used to go for T'giving/early Dec.) and the ave temps always seem to be hi 70s/low 80s. And I've got the sunburns to prove it.

Bottom line, the only "guarantees" are that there are "no guarantees" on Kauai. O:)

soboyle Oct 27th, 2004 11:07 AM

Thanks for all the help on this forum, I was able to find a condo in Prince Kuhio thanks to a tip here, so many thanks for that. We'll be there for 11 nights, then off to Oahu for a few nights before heading home, now to find something decent and reasonably priced in Honolulu...

makai1 Oct 27th, 2004 12:35 PM

Aloha soboyle,

I've heard very good reviews for Hawaiiana and another low cost hotel right across the street from Hawaiiana... cant' think of the name.

O'ahu is great fun, and you'll love Waikiki beach w/ the toddler.

Don't hesitate Kauai... Poipu is a great choice.

Have a great time planning... once you go, you'll be forever hooked. ((R))

auntiemaria Oct 27th, 2004 12:41 PM

Kal:

Original post said Kaua`i, plus wanting to visit one more island.

As for rain, we're being pounded right now -- the whole island is under a flash flood warning (flooding is imminent along all streams & rivers), Hanalei Bridge is closed...and the Nat'l Weather Service is saying it's going to increase this afternoon.

We've had awesome thunder and lightning off and on for the past coupla days, too.
Temps in the upper 80s...wet 'n wonderfu.
The north shore waterfalls are _awesome_, and the rainbows yesterday afternoon were absolutely breathtaking.

Like Kal sez...why would anyone want to visit here??? :-D