Notices

Kauai - Hotels - Holiday Inn?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:08 PM
A.J. Kohn

Kauai - Hotels - Holiday Inn?

My wife and I are looking to go to Kauai in early May and don't need anything fancy, but want a hotel that is, at least, decent. A few deals have come our way, so I would LOVE to hear from ANYone who has stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree ... also the Aston Islander or Kauai Coconut Beach. (The deal on the Holiday Inn is sweet, and the 'you get what you pay for' paranoia is creeping in.)

So, no - we don't expect the Ritz, or even the Sheraton or Radisson - we'll be too busy Kyaking, Hiking or Snorkling - but do want to have somewhere nice to crash.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:13 AM
beth

A.J.,

I heard that the Holiday Inn is nice but not on the beach. From what I've been told it is nothing fancy but is decent. We got a sweet deal at the Sheraton so that is where we are staying when we go in April.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:31 AM
kal

AJ,
We've walked thru the Sun Spree and it looked OK but typical Holiday Inn-ish with Hawaiian flavor.

It is not as on the ocean as Islander or Coconut but it is across a parking lot from Lydgate State Park, which is pretty nice and has good snorkeling.

We've stayed at the Islander many times and really enjoy it. New owner and just remodeled '99-'00. A decent, 1-2 star hotel IMHO. Good location. A lot of inexpensive and 4 star restaurants within walking distance.

We used to walk up to the Coconut Beach for dinner but the past 2 trips over found it less than average with some rude service. Nice grounds.

I thought I heard a lot of the restaurant employees, chefs included, left and some of them opened up a new restaurant just across and up the street called Lemongrass. Had a great meal there this past Jan.

The Coconut Coast location is centrally located on the island so you're only 30 mins. away from either Poipu or Princeville (depending on traffic!) or 45 mins to the west side. About 5 mins from the airport. Short walk to the Wailua River for kyaks. Hike to the top of the Sleeping Giant Mountain. One drawback, so-so beach but swimmable.

The Sheraton is nice with a great beach and Poipu is beautiful but a lot of traveling to get to Haena/Hanalei or P'ville.

Either way, it's beautiful there and you should enjoy it!
Mahalo,
Kal
283 mo' days

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:17 AM
Juli

Hi, Just back and the Holiday Inn continues to be a great value. You have direct access to Lydgate Beach state park, which IMHO is one of the great ones. THe other bonus is the central location between Poipu and the north shore/Hanalei. YOu should expect lots of little kids running around, so if that would bug you, go elsewhere.

To get one step up hotel-wise the Outrigger Poipu sometimes has good deals. The Astons are usually pretty good but I know nothing about this one. You can't screw up too badly on Kauai, anyway!

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beth,
We are looking to stay at the Kauai Sheraton in April - can you disclose some details about where you found your sweet deal? Our honeymoon is in less than a month and i have NO Plans.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not called the Holiday Inn Sunspree anymore. It's under new management and now known as the Aloha Beach Resort. Great location on Lydgate Park.

The Aston Islander is cute, very basic but has pretty grounds and a slighty funky charm.

I would pick Coconut Beach Resort last. In my opinion it has very little tropical ambience.