Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai Hiking Trails Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-hiking-trails-question-403327/)

WishIwasthere Feb 25th, 2004 03:25 AM

Kauai Hiking Trails Question

Hello - I have the Ultimate book, but haven't purchased Kathy Morey's book yet (should I?). My family (3 kids ages 10, 12, 13) will be in Kauai for 12 days. We have a large number of things that we want to see and do. I am trying to decide between the Sleeping Giant vs. the Kuilau Ridge Trail on the east side of the island. Has anyone done both and feel like commenting? In Kokee we are deciding between the Alakai Swamp Trail and the Awaawapuhi trail. Should we just make a decision based on weather that day? Any opinions regarding which has better views? I know 12 days seems like a lot but there is just so much we want to see on this gorgeous island. Last time we were there the kids were little and hiking options were much more limited. Thanks for your help.

gigib Feb 25th, 2004 11:48 AM

I think you need to watch the weather. We were lucky enough to have a clear day two summers ago for the Alakai swamp trail, it was fascinating. Probably best to hike as early as possible in the day because the clouds tend to collect on the mountains in the afternoon. Be prepared for major slippery mud. The kids will love it. We took old running shoes, then threw them away after the last hike. The mud is red, and stains. Don't wear good clothes! Be prepared for mosquitoes, too. The parking lot at Kee beach at the Kalalau trail head fills up early. Get nice and sweaty on that trail, then snorkel at Kee. The Ultimate guide has all the major trails shown, I think.
Have fun!

WishIwasthere Feb 26th, 2004 01:07 AM

Thanks qiqib. Any other opinions on the East side trails or on Kathy Morey's book?

gigib Feb 26th, 2004 11:28 AM

Don't know Kathy Morey's book.
Let's see: My husband (a long distance runner)did the Powerline trail one way from the middle to the north shore. Muddy & rugged, but he enjoyed it. We started for the Sleeping Giant one day, but 'squitoes were bad and we didn't have our Off, so we hiked a lovely trail (can't remember the name, it might very well have been Kuilau) which started just before you get to the end of the road where the Powerline trail starts. Lovely green views, no bugs. We scrambled down to the bottom of Wailua Falls, too, that was fun. No marked trail, you just go off the bank at the end of the guard rail by the falls overlook, you'll see it. Steep & muddy! Your kids will love the mud, but it is EXTREMELY slippery, and they must be REALLY careful around edges. That was about it for this trip (we stayed in Kapaa), we plan to see more of Waimea Canyon next time!
Kauai is so incredibly beautiful, you'll love it.
Do you snorkel? It's fantastic at Kee and Tunnels, but parking is tight. Hideaways up by Princeville is great.

sail10 Feb 26th, 2004 07:35 PM

I agree with Kee beach hikes and snoreling is the best there is. There are at least 3 major hikes at kee beach the kuilau trail , and our moto , wife and i ( hike till you stop smiling ), second there is the blue hole hike to the place where blue lagoon was filmed, and third hike the beach actually dead coral and beach to right facing kee beach it is really beautifull. Waimea canyon has many hikes , go to the tourist office on ridge and get the map , the canyon is remarkable especially if you have not been to the grand canyon ( it is called the baby grand and for a good reason ) as allways be on the safe side flash floods are a real concern. nick

WishIwasthere Feb 27th, 2004 01:58 AM

Thanks guys. "Hike till you stop smiling," great motto! Since it will be winter time when we are visiting, and I've read that the north shore beaches almost disappear at this time, I think we'll stick with snorkling and hiking in the east and at Kokee/Waimea. I'll remember to bring throwaway clothing and Off. If anyone has any other hiking tips - bring 'em on!

hulahoop Feb 27th, 2004 11:46 AM

If you have to decide between Alakai Swamp and Awaawapuhi, DEFINITELY choose the latter. The overlook at the end is simply unbelievable. The last time we were in Kauai we did this hike twice because we could not pass the opportunity to experience the sight one more time.

anita Feb 27th, 2004 07:16 PM

hulahoop, The Ultimate guide says that
the Awa'awapuhi Trail is about 9 miles and takes most of the day to do. How long did it take you and how difficult was it to do? We're leaving for Kauai on Wednesday and I'm really trying to talk my husband into doing this hike but he's not sure he wants to take a full day to do it.