Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   KAUAI, HI.....BEEN THERE? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-hi-been-there-236188/)

GEOFF Jul 2nd, 2002 11:31 AM

KAUAI, HI.....BEEN THERE?

I'M LOOKING FOR A NOT SO DEVELOPED, TROPICAL PIECE OF GEOGRAPHY TO TAKE A 10 DAY HONEYMOON...WOULD LIKE ACCESS TO SOME GOOD FOOD AND DRINK, SNORKELING, HIKING, JUNGLE, WILDLIFE, BEACHES, AND POSSIBLY A GRASS HUT ON THE BEACH. IS THIS THE PLACE, IF NOT, WHERE IS?

xxx Jul 2nd, 2002 12:02 PM

Grass hut in Hawaii and you want to stay married? I would head to the Polynesian islands; Tahiti, Moreau, Bora Bora and the like

G Jul 2nd, 2002 12:36 PM

WHAT, YOU DON'T LIKE GRASS HUTS OR SOMETHING??????

xx Jul 2nd, 2002 01:12 PM

just think that you might be thinking of French Polynesia. If any grass huts exist at all in Hawaii (Hawaii is too developed for this type of lodging) they are probably near a camp ground and are primative, I am guessing not clean. In French Polynesia you can stay in five star lodging in a grass hut.

g Jul 2nd, 2002 01:20 PM

thanks, sounds nice...French Polynesia being Tahiti and the like?

abdul Jul 2nd, 2002 01:22 PM

HEY GEOFF!!! WHY ARE YOU YELLING??? YOU LIVE IN A WIND TUNNEL OR SOMETHING?<BR><BR>Jeesh. Enough with the ALL CAPS. It gets really annoying after a while.

anit the jungle Jul 2nd, 2002 02:05 PM

hawaii has rain forests, but not much wildlife other than wild pigs. And as the beaches are public, that grass shack is not going to be open for business

xxx Jul 2nd, 2002 02:31 PM

Not wildlife in the way of monkeys, pariots and zebras but Kauai has birds in the Alakai Swamp that can't be found anywhere else in the world. You can see wild horses in Waipio Valley BI, Whales in December-March most islands. Marine life, turtles and what have you galore<BR><BR>There is wildlife and there are books "eco travlers guide to Hawaii" being one that tell you were you can find it and what to look for.

xxx Jul 2nd, 2002 02:32 PM

lets not forget monk seals

beachbum Jul 2nd, 2002 03:08 PM

Tahiti is one of many islands in French Polynesia. And yes, they do have thatch roofed "huts" (they call them fares), some of which are built over a lagoon. Sounds to me like you're describing the Kia Ora Sauvage, a five fare (room) "resort" on a small motu (islet) in Rangiroa's lagoon.

Iza Jul 2nd, 2002 03:11 PM

Costa Rica or Belize may also fit the bill - you should be able to fulfill all of your requirements there. I think Tahiti will not give you the jungle/wildlife/hiking experience you seem to be after.

p. Jul 2nd, 2002 04:03 PM

Kauai is lovely tho' don't know about grass huts on the beach ! Maybe need Tahiti for that, take a look at http://www.pearlresorts.com/infos/bora2.htm<BR><BR>-if you've got the bandwidth, look at the high definition pics & dream !

Corrie Jul 23rd, 2002 06:41 PM

well folks......there is a grass hut on Maui. We stayed there several years ago. It was a B&B accomodation with ocean view - which had 2 private units below the main house and 2 rooms in the main house. <BR><BR>The hut sat all the way at the back of the property through lush gardens and a swimming pool, made to look like a lagoon right in front of the hut. The hut had no ocean view, but we didn't care. It was 5 minutes to Makena Beach below.<BR><BR>It was an absolutely romantic setting.......with all the conveniences of home, albiet very very rustic - TV, VCR, kitchen, teak bathroom downstairs. Climbing a heavy wooden ladder/steps was a bedroom loft with mosquito netting over the bed. It was also bug free and very clean. All this and we were even left a welcome breakfast basket that lasted about 3 days.<BR><BR>Every morning we were awakened by the sounds of birds and swaying palms. At night to the sound of frogs.........<BR><BR>I have no idea if this "hut" is even rented out anymore, but if anyone is interested I could look for my old paperwork on it.<BR><BR><BR>

sparklegem Jul 23rd, 2002 10:01 PM

Corrie-<BR><BR>I would love to visiting the grass hut that you have described and would be very grateful if you could post the info.<BR>

Kealii Jul 25th, 2002 08:45 AM

Me, too!!

x Jul 25th, 2002 12:55 PM

Belize