Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai - Grand Hyatt and somewhere else? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-grand-hyatt-and-somewhere-else-1183496/)

kheck01 Jan 16th, 2017 04:43 PM

Kauai - Grand Hyatt and somewhere else?

We are planning a trip to Kauai in June for 7 nights with our two kids (ages 10 and 12). We've been to Hawaii many times, but never to Kauai. When we vacation with the kids, we usually like to stay in condos/1-2 bedroom suites to have a little extra space and a kitchen for breakfasts and snacks. However, the Grand Hyatt is really appealing to me and I think my kids would love the pools and resort experience. There is a great hyatt package through costco right now for an ocean view room (standard size 2 queen beds, not a suite). Wondering if 7 nights is too long at the Hyatt or if we should split our trip between the Hyatt and somewhere on the north shore? Maybe 3 nights in a condo on the north shore (maybe Hanalei Bay Resort or a suite at the westin using points) and 4 nights at the Hyatt? Or 4 nights north shore and 3 nights Hyatt? I would love thoughts on splitting the trip or any lodging suggestions.

Kathie Jan 16th, 2017 05:29 PM

I see no reason to move hotels. The Grand Hyatt is lovely and Kauai is a small enough island that you can drive to the North Shore for a day easily.

socaltraveler Jan 16th, 2017 05:52 PM

We spent a week on Kauai a few years back, and split the week between condos on both north and south shores. I think the Costco package for several nights would be a great resort experience, and then maybe a north shore condo, which will give you more space and the ability to have some meals in your home, not a restaurant. I personally enjoy not going out for breakfast every morning with kids.

sf7307 Jan 16th, 2017 07:39 PM

Not only that, but I think sharing a single room for 7 nights will get old pretty fast.

Dukey1 Jan 16th, 2017 10:13 PM

I think going ON vacation means I never EVER cook but to each their own, obviously.

kheck01 Jan 17th, 2017 11:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. Any condo recommendations for the north shore? Would love something within walking distance of a swimmable beach. Within walking distance of restaurants and shops would be a bonus.

jamie99 Jan 17th, 2017 12:26 PM

Most of the North Shore condos are in Princeville, which is not walking distance to a swimmable beach, but it is a pretty short drive to Hanalei or Anini.
Hanalei is all rental houses.

socaltraveler Jan 17th, 2017 03:12 PM

I don't really cook on vacation, but I do like access to a kitchen where we can make coffee in the morning, have it sitting on our lanai with toast and pineapple juice. We usually eat lunch out, but often bring takeout back to our condo, having drinks, chips, apps, back on the lanai. Sometimes we grill fish, make a salad. Our cooking is all very simple. Meals out three times a day seriously cuts into my relaxing mode.