Kauai Farmer's Markets

Search

Kauai Farmer's Markets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Farmer's Markets

What kind of items (other than fruits and veggies) will I find at the farmer's market? I know the ones here have people selling homemade crafts, candles, etc.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:47 AM

The Kauai sunshine markets have rules about what is allowed to be sold:

5. Only produce- unprocessed fruits, vegetables, nuts, flowers and plants grown on Kauai- may be sold at the Kauai Sunshine Markets. Violation of this rule is grounds for immediate cancelation of a Vendor's permit. This is a condition of every Permit. Sale of commercially sourced produce is a violation of the Permit, the intent of the market and the rights of your fellow vendors who obey this rule. The Sunshine Markets were set up to provide farmers an outlet for their farm grown produce, not to enable someone to start a commercial vegetable stand. For example, sale of Dole pineapple, Kamuela cabbage, etc. is a violation of the permit.

6. The following products are prohibited for sale at the Sunshine Markets: Meat, meat products, fish, shellfish, sliced vegetables or fruit, processed products, honey or any other product requiring special handling under State sanitary and health regulations. The exception to this rule is the sale of live farmed fish permitted by amendment to 23-3.4 RCC of Kaua‘i.

See http://www.kauai.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=214 for all details.

Private farmers markets may not have the same rules. You can also go to the Kauai products fair which is in Kappaa.

http://www.kauaiproductsfair.com/index.html

Alan

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan.....looks like the products fair is more what I'm interested in visiting. After all the research I've done on Kauai I don't think I've seen anything on the fair until now.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM

I share your love for local crafts....in fact I brought home a beautiful set of Koa bowls from Kauai last summer. BUT, I must say that our trips to the Farmer's Market's and road side stands were among my favorite activities while on Kauai. I know we bought at least 10 pineapples while we were there. We even had six shipped home to give to the people who took care of our animals, mail etc. while we were away. I respond to encourage you to hit the Farmer's markets. The people are so gracious and the produce is heavenly. Don't miss the little roadside stand in Poipu either....sweet people. You can also buy tropical cut flowers. We bought a bouquet for $5.00 that would cost $75.00 back home. They stayed beautiful our entire visit. Have a blessed trip! Okie
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Okie, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought about shipping fruit home. Did they do that for you or did you have to package it and take it to the post office?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM

Travel Monkey, All this talk about Kauai caused me to got excited and have a momentary brain lapse! We did NOT have the pineapples shipped home. We did look into that (UPS store) but it was going to cost $75.00)I bought the case of 6 pineapples at a floral shop outside of Kauai (maybe Auntie Marie can help us with the name) and then we checked them as luggage. Keep in mind, you must buy the pineapples that have been inspected by Ag. dept. They were packaged nicely and made the 5,000 mile trip home just fine. We got a case of six for $50.00. It may seem a little expensive, but the people we gave them to just raved about how wonderful they were. Okie