Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai Countdown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-countdown-329711/)

RichinPA Jun 21st, 2003 02:21 PM

Kauai Countdown

Kal, Island Mom, any other Kauainuts.
We are down to 26 days and counting till I leave wet and rainy(and cold Pennsylvania) for 3 wonderful weeks on Kauai.

To anyone who has just been there, drop me a note and let me know of anything new and exciting to be found.

Can't wait for my first morning and fresh Papaya for breakfast, Portuguese sausage and rice with my omelette at Hanalei Wake up cafe and just sitiing on the Lanai and staring at the ocean the rest of the day.

It is mid June and only 60 degrees and rainy here in Northeast Pa this weekend

vivi Jun 21st, 2003 03:43 PM

It is in the mid-80's on Kauai today, light breezes, sporadic showers. The perfect antidote to rainy PA.

RichinPA Jun 21st, 2003 07:25 PM

Vivi,
Thank you so much for that weather report......it will make these last 26 days fly. Do you live there? Lucky one if you do. we will be at 'The Cliffs" from 7/19 through 8/9. 9301, give us a call and will slpit a Mai Tai.

margot55 Jun 21st, 2003 08:04 PM

((r))Aloha Kauaiphiles!!! The Margot Countdown stands at....4 DAYS!!!!! Woo-Hoo! \:D/ Trip report to follow...

islandmom Jun 21st, 2003 11:45 PM

Do you squeeze lemon on the papaya for the full effect? Have you also tried papaya seed dressing?

tinatoadster Jun 22nd, 2003 02:08 AM

Okay, I wassn't going to do this, but... ONLY 6 DAYS--Can't wait yahoo!!!

Aloha

dolciani Jun 22nd, 2003 05:40 AM

ok, me too....18 days to go....

tinatoadster Jun 22nd, 2003 05:42 AM

Dolciani where are you staying?

mauitammy Jun 22nd, 2003 06:04 AM

Our countdown is 25 days until we leave for Kauai. We will be on Kauai from the July 17-23 and Maui from the 23-30. We can't wait!

dolciani Jun 22nd, 2003 07:03 AM

I have a thread "Last minute planning to hawaiian isles" that details our hotels and islands we're visiting. On Kauai we're staying at the Kaui Marriott resort (timeshare - 1BR villa) in Lihue. We're from Maryland and have had nothing but RAIN for the past 2 months - so here's hoping for sunshine when we reach Hawaii!!!

RichinPA Jun 22nd, 2003 08:01 AM

Island Mom, we squeeze lime not lemon on our papaya's and hav a glass of Meadow Gold Passo-guava juice to drink for breakfast sitting on the lanai.

Dolciani, we're from Northeast Pennsylvania and doesn't this rain just suck. It has rained here since Thursday and the past two days the temp has only been around 60.

Mauitammy, we'll be on Kauai the same time as you, staying in Princeville at The Cliffs. Care to share a Mai Tai??

HockeyDad Jun 22nd, 2003 10:12 AM

RichinPa,

I am also here in wet Pennsylvania, building an Ark. I will be interested in hearing about your trip. My wife and I are planning a 15 night trip for next year and are debating whether to stay the entire time on Maui or split the time with Kauai. We have never been to these islands before so it is all new to us.

Best regards,

HockeyDad

RichinPA Jun 22nd, 2003 10:16 AM

Hockeydad, my wife and I travel every year there from Pa. If you would like some info I've compiled, drop me a line.

Hanalei Jun 22nd, 2003 07:50 PM

Hi Rich,

I wrote a trip report tonight, but did not have much to add to the information you sent to me.

However, the Flying Lobster inside Kauai Coconut Beach Resort stopped having dinner buffet a few weeks ago.

Thanks again for the info that you sent.

Hanalei

pspercy Jun 22nd, 2003 08:56 PM

Well it's 90+ in north Texas and heading for Maui late October.....

RichinPA Jun 23rd, 2003 05:13 AM

Hanalei,
I just read your report. Sounds like you had a great time and hope my info helped if only a little.

24 days till I get there.

Kal Jun 23rd, 2003 11:59 AM

Anybody who keeps a Kauai countdown needs their head examined! 8-}
(189:S- )

Some would argue the Flying Lobster stopped having a good buffet a few years ago!

They used to have a Prime Rib and then a Fish buffet that was "ono".
Another nice hotel that needs a good owner with some $$$ for some good ol' TLC.

Should we pass the hat?
Kal

RichinPA Jun 23rd, 2003 12:32 PM

Kal,
I'm already counting for next year 2004, 390 to go.

There will be 12 of us there this year. It was just our 30th wedding anniversary and our maid of honor, and a few of her family will be there at the same time. Gonna be fun trying to get everyone to dinner on time.

Tiff Jun 23rd, 2003 01:13 PM

Three glorious weeks, how completely enchanting!
Please send us a trip report upon your return to rainy PA.
:) Aloha!