Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai Car Rental -- IMPORTANT INFO (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-car-rental-important-info-273226/)

Songdoc Jan 12th, 2008 10:24 AM

Kauai Car Rental -- IMPORTANT INFO

Hi -

The countdown is on ... 4 more days!!! (Not that I'm excited or anything :-)).

Wanted to share something that applies to car rentals anywhere.

I booked my Kauai rental car several weeks ago, at what seemed like a very good rate through Thrifty. It was the lowest price I could find online and was a better rate than I could get through Hotwire or by naming my own price at Priceline.

Yesterday, the thought popped into my head to check and see if the rates had changed ... and when I checked I found that the rate was now $59 dollars less (for the nine day rental period). That's a lot of money -- not a few bucks!

I cancelled my existing reservation and re-booked it at the lower rate. I checked and found that the rates had significantly dropped at Hotwire and everywhere else -- but the lowest rate was still at Thrifty.

FYI, they also offered a coupon for a free upgrade, but I actually prefer a compact car to a larger one; I'm used to driving a smaller car -- and don't need a gas guzzler just for the two of us.

So ... the lesson is to always go back as the trip approaches and see if the rental car prices have dropped... and then, buy a few extra orchids in Kauai with all the money I saved ;-)

Budman Jan 12th, 2008 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info. I've booked mine now for September, and can remember a few years ago, the prices dropped as the date got closer. I'm guessing it's a supply & demand issue. Good advice -- definitely keep checking the rates.

Have a great trip, and don't eat all the chickens. ~:> ((b))

LPOWMACBACK Jan 13th, 2008 03:49 AM

Good for you Songdoc!!! The same can be said for lodging - CHECK BACK!

I'd booked a one bedroom Villa at the Marriott in Lihue several months ago and then checked back last week - the rate - for the same room (ocean front) had dropped $120 (saving $1080) per night!!!!!!!!!

Pays to CHECK & RECHECK (especially when all you have to do is call an 800 number ;-)

iceeu2 Jan 13th, 2008 04:35 AM

Have fun! Now is this a working trip or all pure pleasure this time? It's so easy to become addicted to Kauai, isn't it?

((r))

Songdoc Jan 13th, 2008 01:12 PM

It's so easy to become addicted to Kauai, isn't it?

Too late ... I'm HOOKED! iceeu2: This trip is strictly VACATION!!! I get to do some incredible travel for work (this year, I'll back to Kauai, Los Angeles, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and Ireland!) but this is the first pure vacation in five years!!!

Good point about re-checking prices at hotels, as well as the rental cars. Incredible how much the other poster saved!!!

I'll be staying in my "magic spot" -- SeaLodge condo (G-2) in Princeville, with a view that is truly breathtaking -- so re-checking price won't apply this time.