Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai car: convertable, jeep, or sedan? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-car-convertable-jeep-or-sedan-154767/)

tim Feb 4th, 2002 10:00 AM

Kauai car: convertable, jeep, or sedan?

I'm arranging my first trip to Hawaii. Heading to Kauai and to Maui. I'm going to rent a car on each island. Because it's my first time, I'm not exactly sure what activities I'll be doing, but I do plan on exploring each island to some degree. <BR><BR>For about $20 more per day then a sedan I can rent a jeep or a convertable. Will I want/need either of these? Will a jeep allow me to access places and do things that I couldn't do without it? Would having a convertable make our experience much nicer?<BR><BR>If anyone has tips on WHERE to rent a car, that would also be great!<BR><BR>I usually just get the cheapest, smallest car that I can find, but this is our honeymoon and I want to make everything very nice! We'll be staying at the Hyatt on Kauai and the Four Seasons on Maui. I think that on Kauai we really want to explore, while on Maui we may use the car more to go to dinner, etc. <BR><BR>Any tips would be much appreciated!

kal Feb 4th, 2002 12:01 PM

tim,<BR>As most Kauai vets here will tell you, get the rag top!<BR><BR>Not much legal off-roading, even to Polihale.<BR><BR>A Chrysler Sebring does the trick for us.<BR>Kauai no ka oi and congrats!<BR>Kal

Suzie Feb 4th, 2002 12:20 PM

Or a converible Mustang in bright yellow. Don't worry about lookinglike a tourists, most convertible contian tourists so that bright yellow won't matter. It didn't for us!<BR><BR>Hey Kal, thought you dropped out or something!

kal Feb 4th, 2002 12:55 PM

Suuuuz, <BR>Still recovering from the "minor" surgery. Can you say "Cipro"?<BR>Nothing less than an SPF 30 from here on in! Even in a convertible!<BR><BR>And I'm also recovering from the 17+ days of vacation. Funny how nobody does your work for ya while you're away!<BR><BR>Let's seeeeee...maybe 325 mo' days until I'm snowed under again?<BR><BR>Speaking of snow, almost had to chain up going over Douglas Bvd the other morning! For this I left Kauai?<BR>Kal

tim Feb 4th, 2002 04:19 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely going to take a look into the convertable idea. <BR><BR>The 'Stang is not quite my style, so I'm going to try to get a Sebring!

CF Feb 5th, 2002 05:38 AM

Spring for the convertible! We had one and it was a blast. The first car we rented had a sun roof and I got stuck a couple times trying to take pictures thru it, after that I told hubs, that's it, I want a ragtop. Was great for taking pix while you were riding. There was only one road in Kauai that required a FWD. It wasn't worth the discomfort of a jeep just for one road.

Suzie Feb 5th, 2002 06:41 AM

Hey Tim, I know what you mean bout a yellow 'stang. Not quite our style either but we got the ole 'it's tha only car we have available" routine and we were determined not to let anything interfere with our vacation so off we flew!<BR><BR>Have a great time in Kauai. Nothin' like it!<BR><BR>Kal-bet you're looking out of place in the burg with your tan, while the rest of us shivered in the cold fading to the color of paper!

kal Feb 5th, 2002 07:50 AM

CF, "4WD required"? Could you be talking about the road to Polihale? Or the Powerline Trail?<BR><BR>The road to Poli is thru canefield but I've never needed a 4WD and we've driven it in all types of conditions. <BR><BR>Unless you want to go wayyyy up to the dead end and have to drive on the sand, a regular vehicle should be ok. We just park past the campground and walk up the beach.<BR><BR>If you get the 4WD and get stuck up there, good luck, bruddah!<BR><BR>Suuuz, Tan is still hanging in there. Got to go to Connecticut for 6 days this Friday. Since they have been having better weather than us, I probably won't stick out like a sore one!<BR><BR>As for the yellow 'stang, at least that car will stick out in a crowd. Not like the umpteen million white Neons or silver Sebrings.<BR>Kal

xxx Feb 5th, 2002 07:54 AM

see rental guide on Fodors home page gives hints on saving while renting

CF Feb 5th, 2002 11:46 AM

There was one really soggy road up in the canyon area. We didn't try it, had a regular car, and I said you DIDN'T need a FWD.

Sarah Feb 5th, 2002 12:02 PM

Had a four wheel drive and got to places near Alakai Swamp we would have had to walk otherwise(1-3 miles). I strongly advise a four wheel drive.

Hertz Feb 5th, 2002 12:56 PM

Remember you may be violating the rental agreement if you go off the regular roads and damage is done to the car or other people's property.

Rainy Feb 5th, 2002 12:57 PM

Just returned from Kauai and have never seen so much rain in all my life! The convertible would have turned into a private pool last week! Roads were closed to the north side due to flooding - although it was open the day we went up we still had to drive through lot's of water. Also our hotel parking lot flooded so much they recommended trying to find alternative ways out... I'd say get the Jeep...

David Feb 5th, 2002 01:03 PM

Rainy were you on the North shore that is to be expected in Winter. Gee I hope you knew to expect that this time of year. See any whales?

rrr Feb 5th, 2002 07:57 PM

I got stuck in the sand in a sedan on the way to Polihale (almost all the way there) - plenty of towtrucks hanging out there to help me though! Luckily friends and I dug our way out. I'd beware of that road. That many towtruck drivers are there for a reason. FYI.

Rainy Feb 6th, 2002 10:13 AM

David - went all over the island - saw nothing but rain for 7 days. I knew it rained in Kauai but didn't realize there'd be NO sun at all! We did see whales - went on a beautiful sun set cruise up the Na Pali coast. It was fabulous! In fact the whole week was fabulous despite the rain - look at my name - I can handle rain anytime! LOL!

David Feb 6th, 2002 10:24 AM

That is what I suspected Rainy a real traveler appreciates all weather. Know this from summers in England and Ireland. We hit five days of intermitant rain this summer. No one seems to remember the rain except for the times it was lulling us to sleep. I had screen windows surrounding my bedroom, this was such a special sound. <BR>I think I just might nod off now.<BR><BR>P.S fair skinned so over cast days provide for very comfortable hiking, something people overlook when they are heading for sunshine.