Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai Bound (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-bound-570668/)

iceeu2 Nov 13th, 2005 01:40 PM

Kauai Bound

What is your favorite restaurant on Kauai?

Mine is:
Olympic Cafe

The real icee's is:
Lihue BBQ Inn

This is just to help those who are headed to Kauai in the near future...and.....to bring a little light-heartedness to what has become an extremely tense situation on fodors...

((r))i'2.....peace & love

crefloors Nov 13th, 2005 02:04 PM

I just bought three bags of chicken feed yesterday, should I send you some?!!!! :D

iamq Nov 13th, 2005 02:52 PM

i2,
Gee, for a minute there I thought you and the real icee were going again and didn't tell me! [-X

Does it have to be just one?

Yes?

Hamura's Saimin

-Bill

crazy4Hawaii Nov 13th, 2005 03:12 PM

I absolutely LOVED Brick Oven Pizza. We went twice. After all of the "fancy" expensive food on Maui, I guess this simple fare just seemed extra good - fresh ingredients, crust just the way I like it, the right amount of sauce, and friendly service!

iceeu2 Nov 13th, 2005 03:40 PM

ah man....Hamura's Saimin is probably the favorite of both of ours! That lilikoi pie makes me happy!:D((r))

Eeva Nov 13th, 2005 03:55 PM

We really loved the Plantation Garden at the Kiahuna Plantation. We stayed there and ended up eating there a couple of times because not only did they serve delicious food, but the atmosphere and service were perfect. That veranda, the gentle breeze aaaahhhh. Calgon take me away...

glowbug Nov 13th, 2005 05:51 PM

Hands down ~ Hukilau Lanai...

CaliNurse Nov 13th, 2005 07:34 PM

Iceeu2, thank you for posting this, and for your intent in doing so.
Sentimental favorite: Kokee Lodge, preferable on a cool drizzley afternoon, for a bowl of chili and warm, fresh from the oven, buttery cornbread!
On a sadder note, was going to recommend dessert after the windy downhill drive from Kokee, at Green Garden in Hanapepe for their lilikoi chiffon pie. Then I remembered--it recently closed, after decades! It was the kind of place where food varied, but there was great family atmosphere, and often a local celebration of some sort going on.
Oh well--if in mood for said pie, thank God there's still Hamura's.

iamq Nov 14th, 2005 04:25 AM

glowbug,

I had the meatloaf at Hukilau. Meatlaof on Kaua'i? Very ONO!

-Bill

iceeu2 Nov 14th, 2005 04:30 AM

right glowbug...Loved loved loved Hukilau Lanai..we had the prix fixe dinner with the wine pairings. Yummy!

iamq Nov 14th, 2005 05:06 AM

Another place that I was skeptical of, but ended up loving was Postcards in Hanalei. Budman mentioned that he and his wife enjoyed it, so we tryed it. Good choice. Not cheap, but very tasty. No meat, just fish and vegetarian dishes that are very well prepared. Make sure you amke a reservation and if you want to sit on the lanai, get there before 7pm.

gmac Nov 14th, 2005 05:18 AM

Whaler's brewpub is also a good place for "the view"

lvk Nov 14th, 2005 06:04 AM

We like the Hanalei Dolphin restaurant, but especially like their fish market for ono salad, ceviche, ahi & tako poke.

A close second was Hanalei Gourmet.

((R))

Kal Nov 14th, 2005 06:12 AM

ooops....sorry...thought this was about kinky sex on Kauai. O:)

I love the rooster jerky found only at The NaPali Coast Cafe.

After that Hamura's, Coconuts, Huki Lau, Oly Cafe, Bullshed, Aloha and Brick Oven Pizza, Waimea Brew Co (nui nachos), a Big Bubba's burger with chili freis after a long hike on the NaPali, and Duke's for Taco Tuesday's!And a few others I'm not divulging....It's not like I woke up yesterday. O:)

Bill...Huki's meat loaf and a bottle of Pastishe out on the lanai! <b>44</b>!!!

Speaking of Duke's and The Whaler, I heard a rumor they may be taking over The Whaler and opening a Sharkey's??? Auntie M???

I remember when Graham and The Whaler had a Beer Brunch every Sunday and it was gooooooood! Another good place to see a sunset and watch the whales.

iamq Nov 14th, 2005 11:23 AM

Polynesian Cafe (Cafe Polynesia?) in Hanalei!

-Bill

crazy4Hawaii Nov 14th, 2005 11:46 AM

Hey! How many times does Bill get to vote?!

Kal Nov 14th, 2005 11:51 AM

As many times as he's can. He's a Democrat! ;)

iceeu2 Nov 14th, 2005 11:59 AM

You boys behave!!

iceeu2 Nov 14th, 2005 12:00 PM

JohnD, Kal &amp; Billyboy..........play nice. Eat well..

CaliNurse Nov 14th, 2005 12:12 PM

Kal, I thought so as well, but was too inhibited (moi?) at first to reveal this:
There are leather restraints available at the cafeteria in Wilcox Hospital.
Another vote for Hukilau Lanai, from my kids and grandkids.