Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waikiki- Refrigerators, NON-electronic locks, ocean view yet not above 11th fl. ?

Waikiki- Refrigerators, NON-electronic locks, ocean view yet not above 11th fl. ?

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 07:11 PM
N.R.

Does anyone know of any condos or hotels w/ refrigerators in Waikiki w/ NON-ELECTRONIC locks that have good views (pref. ocean but at least city skyline or mtn.) but are not higher than 11 stories or so?

Thank you for any info.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:34 AM
HUH?

I have to know: What is your issue with electronic locks?

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:41 AM
N.R.

I am a Jew and cannot operate electronic devices on the Sabbath. Riding in elevators is also a problem which is why it wouldn't be practical to be more than 11 stories high if I would stay over the Sabbath.

(Of course, a much lower floor would be more convenient but I feel it's worth walking the stairs for a good view- but not more than 11 flights)

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 07:44 AM
another huh?

Doesn't the fridge count as an electric item?

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:21 AM
HUH?

Well, I guess really DO learn something new every day. Thanks for the response.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:26 AM
bubba

Woudn't anything short of KOA campground be a violation? In addition, not trying to slam your religious beliefs, unless you swam to Hawaii wouldn't you be in violation?

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:58 AM
flyboy

Bubba, I'm not an expert on religion, but I think the Sabbath is only one day a week. They could fly on any other day.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:02 PM
S

I'm sure that wherever you stay, if you explain the situation to the manager, they will accomodate you. (i.e., send someone up with you to actually press the buttons on the elevator and open the door to your room) It might take a phone call in advance.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Trolldetector

What an entertaining troll !

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:00 PM
anotherjew

It never ceases to amaze me how people with absolutely no knowlege of your religious beliefs can make fun of them and even insinuate that this is a troll. Get a life people. This is a legitimate question. By the way, some hotels with electronic locks also have manual keys in case of a problem and you may be able to arange getting one. I've never been to Hawaii, so I can't be specific.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:28 PM
N.R.

Thank you to all who replied seriously.

A few points:

1. The Jewish Sabbath is indeed only one day a week: the Seventh day which in most populated areas of the world is from sundown Friday until nightfall Saturday [1].

2. The laws (halachos) of the Sabbath are highly complex and way-beyond the scope of this forum. I would just like to briefly reply to some of the posts made here:

A. Merely opening and closing a refrigerator is permissable [2] but turning it on or off would not be and,

B. Regarding the suggestion about having someone else press the elevator button and open the door: 1. Even merely riding in a elevator is problematic for several reasons 2. The laws concerning when it is permissable to ask a non-Jew to perform a prohibited activity on your behalf are far more complex and restrictive than many people realize. (Besides, I would want to be able to come and go freely)

Notes:

[1]Interestingly enough, Hawaii happens to be one of the places where it is not clear which day the true seventh day is. This is because the International Dateline is not necessarily the same as the Halachic Dateline. In Hawaii, the question is whether the Sabbath is on the local Friday (thus beginning at sundown Thurs.) or on the local Saturday, like the mainland U.S. and most of the rest of the world. Most rabbinic authorities hold that it is the latter but there are those who say that one should keep both days as a precaution. For those interested in reading more about this, see
www.star-k.org/articles/dateline.html

[2] Provided that the light inside the refrigerator will NOT go on and off. For this reason, Sabbath-observant Jews either unscrew the bulb before the Sabbath or tape-down the button so it won't be effected by the door.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Ginny

N.R.-Thank you for your thoughtful post clarifying your beliefs. I would not take the negative or sarcastic posts personally. Fodor's has a problem with anonymous posters posting nasty, rude messages. Until Fodor's requires some type of registration system, we have to ignore them.

To your original question-I would call the hotel directly and ask or have your travel agent do it if you are booking though an agent.

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:53 PM
N.R.

Lest I mislead anyone or misrepresent Orthodox Judaism, I would like to make the following clear:

Judaism has high standards of modesty and chastity and mixed-gender swimming or sunbathing are prohibited.

I therefore wish to make it clear that:

1. The draw of Waikiki to me is NOT the 'meet/meat market' aspect of it but rather the unique blend of cosmopolitan sophistication, diversity and amenities and 'exotic tropical paradise' appeal- with all the benefits of being fully part of the U.S.

While I do think Waikiki has been overdeveloped, I just love the way the skyline and the ocean and mountain vistas complement each other in the pictures I've seen.

2. I plan to only to go to the beach itself very earling in the morning when I could find some isolation or at night when people wouldn't be sunbathing or swimming (at least not in sight!). Based on the Sheraton Waikiki Webcam ( http://hawaiilive.sheraton-hawaii.com/) it seems that before 8 a.m. or so would be okay. (the people in the webcam image appear tiny enough that there is no problem of my viewing it)

3. I certainly want to explore many of the other beaches on Oahu, where it sounds as if (at least during the week), I would be able to find secluded spots most of the day.

However, based on what I wrote above, I want to spend at least a few days in Waikiki, perhaps longer, and if I would be there over the Sabbath...hence my original post.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 08:13 PM
OCLlocal

N.R.

Thank you for such an informative posting. I think it is admirable of you to take the time to educate many of the readers here in such a clear, factual way (I already knew a few of the things you had posted, but I also learned a lot too).

I don't know if you plan to check out the rest of the island (like a driving tour on non-Sabbath days), but if you do, I got some good information 10 days ago in my posting about the North Shore (Oahu). The reason I say this is that a lot of people gave me tips about which beaches are more or less crowded, and what are the best times to go. Some of the information might help you find a beach which could accomodate your religious needs (i.e. few or no people/ or families only, no sunbathers). My posting was "Are we crazy to base a romantic trip out off the North Shore?" (search OCLocal "North Shore" or "north shore").

I am also going to Oahu soon. Can't wait!! Here's hoping all of us Hawaii travelers have great vacations!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 06:18 AM
patg

NR-
You might want to take a look at the New Otani Kaimana Hotel in Honolulu. It is near the aquarium and Kapiolani Park, and the beach is much quieter than Waikiki. You could also walk to the zoo from there. They definitely have some rooms with refrigerators which were in the two-story (Diamond Head Wing)section of the hotel. See
http://www.kaimana.com

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:25 PM
N.R.

Thank you for the further replies and the kind words.

The New Otani Kaimana is appealing and I will keep it in mind but it is still a bit expensive for me. I was really thinking of some of the condos. and perhaps some of the Ohana hotels w/ kitchenettes.

What I may do is schedule it, so I will not be in Waikiki for the Sabbath, so I can take advantage of the views from a high floor and not worry about the all of the Sabbath issues. Still, it might possibly work out that I would want to stay over the Sabbath and so I am making inquiries. I am emailing some of the hotels and condos. to ask directly.