Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai: Anini Beach and Moloa'a Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-anini-beach-and-moloaa-beach-169645/)

joan Mar 8th, 2002 05:05 AM

Kauai: Anini Beach and Moloa'a Beach

Hi there. I've been doing research for a September trip, 2nd honeymoon. Have decided to spend a week on Maui followed by a week on Kauai. My question is this: Anyone have any experience with homes on either of the above beaches? We're looking for oceanfront view, romantic privacy, want morning walks on the beach with snorkelling. I've heard conflicting comments regarding Anini being gorgeous and private ((Ultimate Kauai guidebook) versus occupied by campers and all kinds of tent-living folks (poster here). We'd like to be located with easy beach access and short drive to Princeville and Hanalei, don't want to go all the way to Hanalei, as we plan to spend some time exploring the south and western parts of the island. Thought Anini and Moloa'a looked like a good northshore location for this. If you've stayed in a particular property on either beach, I'd sure love to hear about it (maybe a web address too?).<BR>Thanks!

Maggi Mar 8th, 2002 09:23 PM

Topping this, I need answers to these questions, too!

joan Mar 9th, 2002 03:24 AM

Maggi, I recently heard from "minniwal" (sp?) who rented a small cottage on Moloa'a Beach, and loved it. She said that the beach was beautiful, not many people, but that she was unable to snorkel due to the weather (she only stayed 3 days at that location). Still looking for info, especially on Anini!

Maggi Mar 9th, 2002 07:28 AM

Joan,<BR>Did a search and found this: http://www.rfreedom.com/paradise/paradise.htm <BR>Looks nice and reasonably priced.

joan Mar 9th, 2002 09:21 AM

Yep, Maggi, you're good. That's the one Minni rented. Here's another Moloa'a one I love (alot more costly though):<BR>http://www.bestbeachhouses.com/moloaa/index.html<BR><BR>And here are two on Anini Beach. The first one looks like a winner re view:<BR>http://planet-hawaii.com/daystar/anini.html<BR><BR>And this one's cute too, has an outdoor jacuzzi, but seems to be set way back from the beach:<BR>http://www.nakearentals.com/pun/pun.htm<BR><BR>Wish I could find somebody who's stayed in one of these!

Mae Mar 9th, 2002 09:29 AM

Try www.KauaiHoneyMoon.com for rentals

kal Mar 9th, 2002 11:11 AM

Joan, I thought you've gone and returned by now! I gotta quit workin' so much!<BR><BR>Not familiar w/ Anini cribs that much but if I was staying there, as I'm sure you've found out, stay away from being close to the polo field and the park.<BR><BR>The snorkeling down near the end of the road is pretty nice, especially at low tide. We saw some spear fishers what seemed to be half way out to California while standing on rocks, reefs.<BR><BR>Ahhhhh, Kauai.<BR>Kal<BR>

Gigi Mar 9th, 2002 12:00 PM

Kal's right. I actually rented the beautiful huge, wood and stone house that is right next to the park on Anini. Unfortunately, there are some strange people (transients) that not only camp, but live there. I woke up one morning to get a birds eye view of a young couple getting out of their tent and urinating in plain view from our living room. <BR><BR>There are houses that line the beach (not next to the park) that would be better to rent. It's a very pretty beach that's wonderful to stroll in the early morning and at night.....millions of stars to view!!!!<BR>

Maggi Mar 9th, 2002 12:36 PM

Mae, <BR>Couldn't get anything at www.kawaiihoneymoon.com

Minnywall Mar 9th, 2002 12:37 PM

Hi Maggi -<BR><BR>I stayed at the "Honeymoon Suite" you found the link for last week. If you want more details, feel free to email me.

joan Mar 10th, 2002 05:19 AM

Kal: I know what you mean - my husband says the same thing - I'm kind of obsessive about my research!<BR>Gigi: that's what I was afraid of -- it's just that I don't know which houses are in the right location - guess I'll keep calling realtors til I get a truthful idea. Which house was the stone one? Maybe I could use street addresses...<BR>Mae: The Kialauea Lakeside Estate looks beautiful, but it's not on the ocean - says it's across the highway from the beaches...<BR>Maggi: you spelled kauai wrong. try again!

Gigi Mar 10th, 2002 10:52 AM

Joan, you can never ask too many questions or do too much research (I'm a fussbug too). I'll have to look through my records for that house address. It's a spectacular and elegant home, but being directly next to the park was definitely a drawback. <BR><BR>Try www.anini.com/olin.html, I have seen this house and it's beautiful, but about 7 houses past the one we stayed at (which is perfect). Further down the road the homes are across the street and set back with huge expanses of lawn in front of them. They are also older more funky homes. <BR><BR>Even though we didn't care for the park, we loved waking up every morning and strolling the long stretch of calm beach with a cup of coffee and watching the sun rise. Evenings were incredible for star gazing. <BR><BR>I've been to Moloa'a beach also, but found the homes placed very close together - it seemed less private to me. The beach/cove is superb. I believe Anini might actually have nicer homes. <BR><BR>

joan Mar 11th, 2002 01:21 PM

Thanks again, Gigi. The Olin house is way too expensive for us, but I'm still looking! I bet Punana Aloha (the link I gave above) is one of the older ones set back from the beach. Still have my eye on the "daystar" property, waiting for the owner to respond with more info.

kal Mar 12th, 2002 06:06 AM

joan,<BR>By no means did I mean to say you were obsessive about research! I just thought you were one of the Fodor Friends that were going over in Feb/March.<BR>Lo siento, amiga!<BR><BR>You wanna see obsessive, you should check out my Qs on the Fod's Europe board and other travel boards b4 our 2000 trip!<BR><BR>Gigi, Can I show Mrs Kal that I was actually right for once?!?!<BR>290 mo' days.<BR>Kal

Gigi Mar 12th, 2002 10:11 PM

&lt;smiling&gt; at Kal. That Mrs Kal is a lucky gal........

ckwald Apr 20th, 2004 05:35 AM

Hi Joan. Sorry I joined this discussion so late and hope I'm in time for your decision. We rented Punana Aloha a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. It's not old! It's beautifully furnished and the view of the ocean from the huge windows in the livingroom (lounging in a barcalounger type chair). The lawn is huge (an excellent place for sunbathing) and there are some grapefruit trees whose output is delicious and mind boggling. The ocean's right across the one lane dirt road, with no obstructions at all -- there are no houses on the ocean side this far down the road.

We were there in December-January -- not swimmable, too many rocks and too shallow for anything but to dunk. It's a walk out to the reef and we never did it -- maybe beyond that is decent swimming and/or snorkling. And maybe it has to do with the season -- don't know.

We're headed back with our daughter &amp; son-in-law for the Christmas holiday 2 weeks, and are trying to decide on taking a larger place there or on Moloa'a-- where, I blush to say, I've never been in spite of quite a few visits to the island. We do love Anini. So I'm following this thread with interest.