Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai and Oahu N. and Windward Shores- Weather in Winter

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Sammy

Kauai:
I know that Poipu is the sunniest and driest and that the N. Shore is the wettest. What about the other areas? Is it really true that even on the N. Shore in winter it rarely rains straight-through for an entire day and that there is usually at least several hours of sun a day? Or is that just promotional propaganda?

What about the wind? Is it usually windy even when sunny?

Oahu:

Same questions for N. and windward shores.

According to HCVB's 2000 Oahu Vacation planner, the average precipation for February is the same for 'N. Oahu' and 'Honolu/ Waikiki': 2.5 inches. (and is very similar for the other months they give as well) What about the wind and how the rain falls?

Thank you very much.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:03 PM
mj

Hi, can only speak to Kauai's Northshore: it can be a mixed bag: gorgeous one day, completely socked in the next with rain and mist, or a little of both. It is absolutely beautiful but tough in terms of predicting good weather in the winter. The other thing that you may want to keep in mind is that the beaches are often treacherous on the North Shore in winter. There are some that are at times more protected than others. Ke'e can be a good swimming spot in winter as long as the surf isn't coming in over the reef. We have been at both Tunnels and Anini when the swimming conditions were okay but the wind was miserable. We have also had days in January where Hanalei Bay was like a bathtub- so go figure. We usually stay in the south during winter trips and then call up to the Princeville hotel in the morning and get a weather report for the northshore before heading up. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Lisa

Kauai is a fairly small island. It takes less than an hour to drive from Poipu to Princeville, so staying in the south where it's sunny almost all of the time is my recommendation. The beaches up north were gorgeous for our trip in February, but too rough for any swimming or snorkeling.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:48 PM
xxx

Lisa not less than an hour small it is more like 1.5 hours from Poipu from Princeville.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Lisa

It's 42 miles from Poipu to Princeville according to Mapquest.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:03 AM
sss

Should judge travel by actual time in the car as there can be a number of winding roads. Frequently vacation rental owners/agents will say it is only 5 miles away ask them how much time in the car they will say 20 minutes.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Dianne

For Oahu,

I've been to the windward shore a few times in Jan/Feb. Once it was overcast and very windy, making it too cool to sit on the beach. Another time it was nice for suntanning and swimming. The sun goes behind the mountains in the late afternoon so this time I plan to arrive earlier in the day.

I've been to the north shore 3 times in the winter. Twice it was hot and sunny and we stayed all day. Another time it was VERY windy and there were lots of surfers to watch.

I pay attention to the weather report the day before I plan to visit these areas.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 10:00 PM
brenda

I was on the North shore for a week in mid- February last year and it was pretty rainy or if the rain stopped it was overcast. I think we had one really good beach day out of the 7. Stay on the South shore and your chances of better weather will increase.