kauai and maui weather and condos

Mar 31st, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster
kauai and maui weather and condos

We are planning a trip in late may to Kauai and Maui. Husband, myself, and kids 19,21,22. Looking at condos for space. Worried about lack of units with A/C in Kauai. Is it better to get oceanfront w/out A/C or off ocean w/ AC. Also, Princeville area or Poipu? We love to see sunsets.

On Mauai we have narrowed it down to either the Mauai Sunset or Village by the Sea in Kihei. Any one stayed there?
We appreciate the comments and advice shared on this forum. Have always received good tips.
Mike and Leslie
Mar 31st, 2004, 06:32 PM
I always have to go with a place with A/C, even if it's off the beach. The weather in May will be in the high 70's low 80's, but beyond that, there's the humidity to deal with too. It's much easier to turn it off if you don't need it than to wish you had it... I'm a huge fan of Poipu. The pink sand is incredible!

Can't be much help on Maui. I've only stayed in Kihei once and that was about 10 years ago. We usually stay up in Kapalua.

I have to put in a plug for the Big Island of Hawaii. My husband and I will be there at the end of May (our 5th trip back) and it truly has become our favorite island. Very diverse in topography and the chance to see an active volcano is something not to be missed!

Have a wonderful trip!
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:22 PM
Based on my research and reading Maui Revealed/Ultimate Kauai, most condos on Maui and Kauai DON'T have A/C. Both the Maui condos you listed are along a long stretch of beach that Maui Revealed calls out as "don't swim here" because of nasty runoff filled water. Just a thought. You can get wonderful condos in clean, sparkling Wailea for very reasonable prices, definitely under $200. Last July the Kihei Surfside condo on Keawakapu Beach was $125/one bedroom. It was delicious (trip report at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34436140).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Search this Thread