Kaua'i and Maui car rentals

Feb 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Kaua'i and Maui car rentals

Does anyone have an info about the local car rental agencies? I have contacted Island Cars and Kihei Car Rental. The rent older cars and have better rates.
Feb 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I've booked three rentals through carrentalhawaii.com
They are a consolidator and their rates were way lower than I was finding anywhere else, even though I've chosen their quotes with Avis for all three of those rentals. Alamo was literally pennies cheaper, but I don't like Alamo. Even with Costco or AAA discounts with Avis, the carrentalhawaii rates with Avis were MUCH lower.

And they don't require prepayment -- all reservations are fully cancellable.
Feb 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM

NeoPatrick has a good link, another if you want to hold off posting a credit card is http://www.hawaiicarrentals.net/rates.html

You get carentalhawaii rates but you have to go through promotion codes and you sign up w/the agency directly
Feb 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NeoPatrick and FrankS. I did check the sites as suggested and yes, there is a $90 difference between the Budget quote I got over the phone and the one on this site. Are there any charges that did not show on the quote? As in is this too good to be true? I used Frank's site so I didn't see any cancellation info. Maybe I just missed it.
Feb 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM

I haven't been able to figure out Frank's site. I tried, but came up with Avis figures more than double the carrentalsHawaii site. I'm not sure where you find the codes to put in, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking to try to figure it out.

And no, I don't think it's too good to be true -- just that it's a consolidator which has special pricing arranged with different agencies. And since I have a firm contract price directly with Avis (I even called them to confirm and had them add my Avis Wizard number for speedier pickup) I sure don't see any problems.

Meanwhile, someone mentioned AutoEurope for rentals in the US, and I have found some great rates for California through them. I haven't tried them for Hawaii, so wonder if there might be similar savings.
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I used Franks site without a problem. I was able to compare the rates of 5 rental car companies and Avis had the best price. They even gave a free upgrade. I will book later today. Thanks.
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM

I guess I didn't really follow that site very well. I saw figures that showed rates from various rental companies, but when I clicked the links to those rental companies, I couldn't find those prices. I guess I must have missed a place to find specific codes to insert when going to those rental companies to get the prices they showed on the site.
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM

Neo
try erasing your cache before using the links. If you come upon a webpage without a promotion code, you are defaulting to a main page. I will guess this is happening because the site is in your short term memory. If not, it might be because of a cookie.
Mar 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM

Ah, that's probably it. I just hate tossing my cookies all the time! LOL

I was only clicking to go to Avis, since that is what I had booked at super discounts already.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the tip, I just reserved an Avis car for Maui and One for Kauai at a huge discount.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
koa

Dont rent from Island Cars on Kauai! Stay with the established names like budget, hertz etc.. Island Cars is run by some shady characters in the Lihue Industrial area. Old, beater cars and i wouldnt trust their maintenance on the vehicles!