Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-920465/)

cml1fl Jan 20th, 2012 03:46 AM

Kauai

Plan on visiting Oahu for 4 or 5 nights ? in May and then over to Kauai for 7 nights. Plan on doing the Zipline in Princeville and some hiking and snorkling. Like to do activities verses shopping and it is just me and husband. We will rent a car for the whole time.
Should we stay in 2 differenet place while in Kauai to get a fell of the Island?

islandaze Jan 20th, 2012 07:59 AM

Thinking the process of moving from one place to another takes the better part of a day, I usually prefer to stick with one location. We were on Kauai for 10 days this past September, and stayed the entire time in Haena on the north shore. Loved it. But we did end up driving south on two of those days, once for Waimea Canyon, and the other to visit Koloa and the beaches around Poipu.

Regardless of what you decide, you will end up doing some driving, maybe lots. But from what you describe of yourselves, I think the north shore fits pretty well.

sf7307 Jan 20th, 2012 08:10 AM

Frankly, I think the process of moving will take all of about 2 hours (plus the time to pack up the night before), but you will then be without a room until you can check into your second place. No different than day of arrival, if you arrive before check-in time.

I've never made the move on one island, but I can see the advantages.

Ronda Jan 20th, 2012 08:22 AM

We like to stay in the Hanalei area because we enjoy the small town atmosphere and being close to our favorite beaches but then you are at the north end of the island and not very central. My BF likes to stay in Poipu so they can go north to Hanalei or the other side to Wiamea Canyon where they love to hike. Poipu imho has become congested and has a big resort feel to it. We usually rent a house in Hanalei and chill. If we wake up and it is raining, we load up the car and head south. Not that crazy about Wiamea Canyon and lugging hiking boots along.

ExecCoach Jan 20th, 2012 10:34 AM

We like to stay in Kapa'a which is half way between the north and south shore. We go in the direction of the best weather. Typically come to Kauai once every 3 - 5 years. Don't know your budget or desire for "creature features", but if you like up-scale, the Waipoili Beach resort is brand new. If you are more on a budget, there are some good condo rentals on VRBO, just research thoroughly. We have use a condo we found on VRBO that suits us for a reasonable price.

Tomsd Jan 20th, 2012 11:03 AM

We much prefer the beauty of the North Shore - but also appreciate being closer t
o the "Grand Canyon" and what the Poipu area has to offer.

I would suggest you consider spending maybe a couple of days down at Poipu - and then kicking back for the rest of the time up at the lush/Bali Hai - Hanalei/Princeville area.

Tomsd Jan 20th, 2012 11:07 AM

BTW - unless it's very muddy - you really don't need hiking boots to explore a bit of Waimea Canyon. Plus the views from there are outstanding.

We liked taking a Trimaran from the South Shore - at Port Allen - by Waimea town - and going up the Napili Coast. Saw turtles and dolphins along the way and went diving - but you can also snorkel is you don't dive.

Not sure - but we may hahttp://www.tombarefoot.com/kauai/sunset_cruises_kauai.htmlve gone out with Tom, but this will at least give you an idea.

Tomsd Jan 20th, 2012 11:07 AM

Click on this if the above post doesn't work:

http://www.tombarefoot.com/kauai/sun...ses_kauai.html

cml1fl Jan 24th, 2012 09:08 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied. I booked my air for 4 nights in Oahu and then 7 nights in Kauai. I now will ahve to figure out where to stay and we also decided to do a kayak tour and also take a surfing lesson in Kauai. Glad to hear that I do not need to bring my hiking boots so that I can pack lite sicne we will ahve a washer/dryer unit. I guess all we will need are shorts during the whole time.

Kimberly_Bamford Jan 25th, 2012 06:08 PM

I loved staying past Hanalei on the North Shore, but maybe staying south a night or two first would be nice. It takes a bit of a drive to get from one end to the other. We rented a great little apartment below a house up a steep street in the "jungle". Fantastic rainy nights, sunny days. Enjoy!

Songdoc Jan 25th, 2012 09:57 PM

I'm currently loving my stay at Sealodge (in Princeville). I come back time and time again.

Today, I drove to Poipu--to Mahaluepa Beach, with a stop at the Menehune Salt Pond lookout. The dirt road to get the final mile to the beach was nerve wracking, but ohh, those views were definitely worth it! The walk along the cliffs was spectacular.

But the point is that it was a beautiful drive from Princeville to Poipu--and not more than 90 minutes. Personally, I prefer staying on the North Shore and doing one day at Waimea Canyon/Koke'e State Park. (I suggest hiking the Canton Trail. Breathtaking views--especially if you continue a few minutes past the waterfall.) And definitely see the Kalalau Lookout and additional lookouts a little further down that road in Koke'e.

I'd spend an additional day driving to Mahaluepa Beach, and checking out Spouting Horn in Poipu. For me, the perfect day would include banana macadamia pancakes at Kountry Kitchen (Kapa'a) for breakfast and saimon at Hamura's for lunch or dinner. You'll pass Kountry Kitchen--and you'll be quite close to Hamura's on the drive South. En route, you'll also be close to Wailua Falls and Opeaka'a Falls. They're worth a stop.

The rest of the time: North Shore... Hanalei Bay; Ke'e Beach; Lumahai Beach, Anini Beach, Kealia Beach (and walking path) ... and some hikes.

There ... it's all settled ;-)

Tomsd Jan 26th, 2012 04:04 AM

If you want to feel like you are visiting Japan - have dinner at Hanamalu Tea House - mid-island - not that far from Lihue. Our Japanese friends on Kauai take us there just about every trip - and they even like to go on Chinese night. Go figure. :)

http://www.explorekauai.com/hanamaulu.html

sf7307 Jan 26th, 2012 08:50 AM

<<<Canton Trail>>>

That's the "Canyon" Hike - I know because Songdoc recommended it to me, and we did it in October, and it is a really great hike (very up and down - I was sore for days afterward).

cml1fl Jan 26th, 2012 02:05 PM

Thats funny that you say you stayed at Sealodge since this is the place that I am really considering since they also provide snorkling equipment. I should be booking this weekend adn thanks to everyone.

sf7307 Jan 26th, 2012 03:38 PM

<<<Thats funny that you say you stayed at Sealodge since this is the place that I am really considering since they also provide snorkling equipment>>>

This is not a comment about Sealodge AT ALL, but seriously, do not pick your accommodations based on the fact that they provide snorkeling equipment! You can rent snorkeling equipment for the entire week very cheaply all over the place.

Songdoc Jan 26th, 2012 09:35 PM

You'd have a hard time finding the "Canton" Trail ;-). Maybe it's in China? HAHA. Sorry 'bout that.

I love Sealodge -- for the views, sunrises, sunsets, birds, and convenience to some of my favorite spots--and the value. But FYI, not every unit has the same equipment. Each unit is individually owned. The unit I'm in at the moment (H2) has a boogie board and I think there's snorkeling equipment. The previous unit I was in (J6) had neither of those things -- but it had a better view ... not that I'm complaining because this view is fantastic! Also, the other unit had binoculars; this one doesn't.

Similarly, some have better stocked kitchens (rice cookers; nicer cookware ...) but I think I've stayed in eight or nine different units--and I've had a great time in every one. And many times, there's much more in the unit than was listed on the website.

Enjoy, whatever you decide. After my walk in the surf at Hanalei Bay, I'm in bliss :-).

welch Jan 26th, 2012 10:21 PM

Songdoc-
How much longer are you there?
We're considering a last minute trip for my husband's birthday next week.

willowjane Jan 27th, 2012 02:26 PM

I think I would like Songdoc to just stay and show me around when we go on our trip. I really do appreciate all of his information.

Songdoc Jan 27th, 2012 08:35 PM

Thanks Willowjane. Songdoc would LOVE to stay! But will be cast out of paradise Feb. 13th :-(.

I had a truly blissful walk today on the path that passes Kealia Beach. Weather was perfect and I saw lots of whales--including a few breeches. Life is good!

Songdoc Jan 27th, 2012 08:48 PM

Re: snorkeling equipment ...

passed a sign today in Kapa'a:

Snorkel Equipment $12/week