Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai 4 years later...will it be just like riding a bike? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-4-years-later-will-it-be-just-like-riding-a-bike-889427/)

louistraveler5 May 5th, 2011 07:37 AM

Kauai 4 years later...will it be just like riding a bike?

My DH & I are going to Kauai on May 28! We are counting the days down until that plane touches down!

We went to Oahu in August 2005 for our honeymoon then we went to Kauai in May 2007. We were supposed to go back to Kauai in October 2009 but my DH got laid off from work so, now two years later from planning the '09 trip and four years later since we have been, we are finally getting our chance to go back to that island we fell in love with!

I can still recall everything about that trip four years ago! We stayed at the Sealodge in Princeville...we absolutely LOVE the North Shore! Our rental car was a Mustang convertible. Two of our favorite beaches are Secret Beach and boogie boarding at Brennecke's Beach. We loved the town of Hanalei; we loved driving around with the convertible top down; I can go on an on about this island!

One place we did not go to was the Hanalei Pier so that is definitely on the list for this trip. We are staying at the Sealodge again: http://hestara.com/b10.htm
We are also renting a Mustang convertible again.

All of you Kauai lovers...will it be just like riding a bike? What will it be like 4 years later? What was it like for you between trips? For anyone that has gone recently, what is Kauai like now? Give me what you've got...advice, opinions, recommendations, suggestions...I'll take it!

toncasmo May 5th, 2011 10:15 AM

i feel the same way you do about kauai! and funny, our first trip there we "missed" hanalei pier and felt so dumb later. so next time (last year) we rented a house there and it was wonderful. defintely have mai tais at tahiti nui...
there is bike renting over on east shore that we want to do next time we go ...
can't wait to hear about your trip

sf7307 May 5th, 2011 10:25 AM

We're going again for 5 days in the fall (freebies, plus we're in California, so it's a pretty easy trip) -- thanks for the tips re tahiti nui and the bike trip, and the recommendations re Secret Beach and boogie boarding on Brennecke. We're staying in the Poipu area, but we'll definitely get up to the North Shore this time (last time, traffic was so bad we turned around and went back!)

Shar May 9th, 2011 09:21 AM

North Shore - didn't notice changes. We go every 2 years and we were surprised on our last trip about Poipu Beach area - more development, less tress, a "round about" as you enter Poipu beach area, and a new strip mall - tastefully done but still more development. BUT there is now a Bubba's in that strip mall. STILL, Kauai is the best and even after 12 trips, we never tire of its beauty. Aloha, enjoy your time in paradise....

Kal May 12th, 2011 11:28 AM

Maybe the bridge over the Wailua River will FINALLY be finished? ;)

Paul May 12th, 2011 11:35 AM

I'm (gasp!) losing my Kauai virginity in a few weeks. After a week in Kauai, it's a familiar week in Maui. Can't wait.

Kal May 12th, 2011 11:39 AM

I hope it stops raining by then!

wtm003 May 12th, 2011 12:51 PM

The weather on the North Shore was terrible on our previous trip to Kauai so we also missed the Hanalei Pier, but it will be a must see on our upcoming trip. Toncasmo thank you for the bike rental suggestion, which seems like a fun way to see the east side of the island.

sf7307 May 12th, 2011 01:20 PM

Tell me what's great about the Hanalei Pier?

hawaii_lisa May 12th, 2011 02:11 PM

Yes, it will be like coming home :) I think :)

Kal May 12th, 2011 08:12 PM

..it's a pier...and it's in Hanalei. :O)

Just a very beautiful, laid back area....unless you are there on a Sat/Sun.