Search

Kauai - 1st week of December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai - 1st week of December

Hi all -
I've been looking over your messages and am grateful for the information that I've gotten so far...thanks!
I'm a total novice - to this site and to Hawaii. Now that my hubby and I have the tickets, hotel, and rental car for the first week in December, what do we do with them?
We understood that it was better to stay on the south side during the winter months, so that's kind of the rule we went with. But - we want to be sure to do as many of the must-sees during that week.
I'll keep going through the previous posts - but if anyone has great ideas, I'd appreciate them. This is kind of our first non-family vacation in about 5 years, so we're really wanting to make it a good one!

Thanks!
Deb
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Since you'll be there in winter, you should have a good chance of seeing whales. Take the Na Pali Explorer's tour to the Na Pali coast. It's amazing. That part of the island is inexcessible by car and the sunsets are stunning. I'd also recommend driving up to Waimea Canyon and the North Shore although you can't swim on th north shore at that time of year. The best swimming/snorkeling in winter will be the south shore.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM

i would suggest you get a copy of Kauai Revealed guidebook. it is available at most bookstores in the travel section. this will give you an idea of the sights, attractions, activities, etc in kauai. also good maps, restaurant reviews and lots of useful information. i find their maps particularly useful and accurate. from here you can pick and choose the attractions and activities that interest you. there are other travel guidebooks ( insight guides, frommers et al )that are also helpful - check which one or two you find user friendly to you.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both magicvoice and anaheimwoman. There seems to be sooo much info out there, that it's hard to know how to sort it all out!

I especially want to do the whale watching - we've done some along the Oregon coast and I am just fascinated with them!!!!

The book will be bought tonight - thanks so much!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Magic,

Is swimming on the North Shore in December really never possible. I really had my heart set on snorkeling at Ke'e Beach. Do you think there is any chance of the at the end of November?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM

lesm: I live on the north shore of Kaua`i, and can tell you that you'll have two chances of snorkeling or swimming at Ke`e in November -- slim, and none.

Even if the surf is down somewhat, the rip currents rage from late-September until about early-April...and will suck you out into open ocean waters.