Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Katmai - is water taxi or boat option possible..?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:19 AM
gac1yahoo

I am wondering whether it is possible to arrange a boat to drop and pickup from any of the places where the Alaska State Ferry goes TO Brooks Camp..? I am trying to see whether I can cut down the trip cost..!!!

I am interested in staying in the Brooks camp for a couple of days...Not interested in taking a day tour..

Any suggestions please...thank you all.

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to sadly report that there is no way you could coordinate the ferry schedule, ferry cost and water taxi to take you to Brooks Camp in order to cut down the cost. Please check the map of Alaska and see where Brooks Camp is located. Then check where Homer is located in relation to Kachemak Bay. It cost at least $60.00 per person RT for water taxi from Homer across Kachemak. You may easily conclude that using water taxi from the ferry (if that was possible) to get to Brooks Camp would cost you a fortune for four people and much much more than flying from Anchorage to King Salmon. There is no ferry from/to Anchorage. The ferry travels to Seward, Homer and Kodiak but you would still have to take a flight from there.
If you are flying on a commercial flight to King Salmon from Anchorage you have to arrange additional transportation from there to Brooks Camp. The boat from King Salmon to Brooks Camp is more expensive than an air taxi. I have no personal experience with traveling to Brooks Camp but it seems the easiest way would be to let the camp arrange a transfer for your family. Good luck and enjoy Aalska
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:16 AM

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Acti...slocation.html
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
gac1yahoo

Thank you very much Pat. One of the least expensive ways I found was to use the Air Miles (if you are frequent flyer) to book the ticket to King Salmon instead of to Anchorage. Airlines let to break your journey in anchorage. That way you don't have to pay the commercial airline ticket to fly to KS.

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM

Good luck and whatever works for you and your family.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM

We were at Brooks Lodge last week! It was great as the salmon run had just started and the bears were out! We took Penn Air from Anchorage to King Salmon and the Katmailand air (floatplane) to Brooks. You have to fly in thats the only way. Check out the website at www.katmailand.com to get info. They are booked alot so plan ahead!