Kansas City Plaza - need hotel and restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Kansas City for one night in mid-June. We arrive late afternoon and it looks like the Plaza would be a fun area to stay. Is the Marriott in a good location? I've also checked out the Plaza website and it looks like the restaurants are mainly chains. Any suggestions for non-chain restaurants? Is this area good for walking? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM

The Plaza is a great place and you will find lots of good restaurants - Baja 600 has a nice outdoor courtyard - I suppose a lot of them are chains - but they are still good restaurants with great food. There is great KC barbecue restaurant down there too - I think its a Gates- gotta try the burned ends.
Have never stayed at the hotels since I have friends to stay with - the Intercontinental is nice and in a good location and so is the Raphael which is right across the street from the Intercontental - the Raphael is older and would give you more of a feeling of KC -
Great area for walking and shopping - its a beautiful places- enjoy!!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info sunbum. I'll have to check out Baja600. BBQ sounds good, too.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM

The Plaza is definitely the place to be in KC - very walkable. The Marriott is not actually on the Plaza, though - it's probably a mile or so away. I second the Raphael recommendation (they also have a great restaurant on-site). Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ is supposed to open a location on the plaza where KC Masterpiece used to be - don't know if it will be open by June, but if it is, don't miss it. Best I've ever had - try the brisket and baked beans. Other BBQ options in the area are Gates and Oklahoma Joe's - both are fantastic. Don't let the atmosphere at Oklahoma Joe's fool you (it's inside a gas station) - the bbq is the real deal. Neither is right on the plaza, but both are a quick cab ride away and well worth a trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Do NOT stay at the Residence Inn, which was highly recommended to me by some pretty well-heeled locals (for some reason). Dreadful. there is a boutique hotel and a nice Sheraton. if I remember the small hotel name I will post.
KC people dress very well!!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Raphel for hotel. Andre's for a afternoon pastry and chocolate break, Plaza III, Starkers, or JJ's for dinner.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Right! Raphael is the hotel! Definitely.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Pastries, chocolate and BBQ - sounds like heaven. I'll look into the Raphael.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM

And check out the Intercontinental also-
has good reviews and right across the street from the Raphael -
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM

The Embassy is a block or 2 from the plaza and a nice place to stay. Its actually in between the plaza and the westport areas. Westport has restaurants and music venues. More of a younger crowd on the weekends , but there is a great jazz and blues scene in KC and one of the clubs is Blaneys which is in Westport - a few blocks North from the Embassy. A block east of the Embassy - just a little north of main and 47th is Jardines - food and jazz.
There is a great side walk cafe on 47th next to the Sharper Image - great food.
Also, Plaza III is a higher end restaurant but very good - afterwards go downstairs to their jazz club.
Oh yeah, O'Dowds has good and reasonably priced food, with live music on their roof. Nice and affordable.
- the best bbq is Jackstack, but not in walking distance and difficult to give you directions. Most cabbies should know how to get there (just tell them the restaurant name and its in the freight house area).
The Majestic downtown on broadway has great steaks and jazz downstairs.
If you have time go the City Market area on Sat or Sun morning - all of the restaurants are good, and if you like ethnic food, here is your feast. Great vietnamese or middle eastern food...or guess what - more bbq and blues on Sundays.
The plaza or city market are very nice to walk around with your cup of coffee in the mornings on Sat and Sun.
Ok, there is lots of great food here and good music too.
Other nearby neighborhoods with great options are - Brookside/Waldo areas, Parkville, MO downtown and Liberty Square (Liberty MO).
Too many options and too many calories - I hope you have a great time.

Old May 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the City Market area. I'll keep it in mind.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM

I agree with the recommendation to stay at The Raphael and also to go to Andre's for patries and chocolates - YUM!! I believe Andre's is in Westport and that is a fun area too so the Embassy would not be a bad choice if you wanted to be between the two areas, but I love The Raphael. Have fun!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Andre's is 2-3 blocks south of the PLaza, the other direction from Westport.

Keith
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info Keith - I am mixed up on what is where in KC I guess. Still love to go there tho.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Not at all.

Andre's is also a nice place for a weekday lunch, though unless you are there early, it can be a bit of a wait for a table.

Keith
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM

We always have lunch there when we are in KC and love it and then buy goodies on our way out. KC is a wonderful city. We love to travel there.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I used to live near the Plaza and agree that the Raphael is lovely. We have stayed at the Sheraton and it was fine. I would never eat on the Plaza; I'd go to Stroud's for chicken (but it's a drive) or to a Gates for bbq. Also, I would not miss the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in the historic jazz district. It was a hightlight of our baseball-themed road trip last year. The Plaza is fun to wander around if only for the architecture. But unfortunately, it no longer is solely unique shops and now largely Pottery Barn Kids and Restoration Hardwares and so forth. If you are short on time and do end up spending a lot of time there, you'll still have fun, though. Halls is a great department store, there are lots of fountains and sculptures. If you are in the mood for a burger and a shake or a lime-aid, walk away from the Plaza toward the art museum to Winstead's. Also, the Nelson art museum isn't that far, and it was always one of my favorites. There was a Henry Moore sculpture garden, and from what I recently read, a great collection of photography. Hope this helps.