Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What did your kids like the best in Oahu and Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our kids age 11 and 9 to Hawaii in August 2006. This will be their first time visting Hawaii.

We have been there but not since 1993

Our tentative resorts are the Moana Surfrider in Waikiki and the Grand Wailea in Maui

What were your kids favorite activities, sights, etc.

I think my 9yr old would love to learn how to surf

Thanks for any info you can provide
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM

General:
- beaches, of course! We bought a cheap boogie board which he enjoyed using in the surf near the shore. Older kids who are good swimmers would have fun outside the break. Fins help you get going faster
- Shave ice!
- get rash guards; less time spent putting on sunscreen. Tell them the surfers wear them so it's cool. They're useful for adults too - no more sunburned backs while snorkeling!

Maui - we spent 2.5 weeks there in summer 04 when my son was 7.5 yrs old. Here's what he liked:
- Maui Ocean Center is fun. When we were there you could pay a bit extra and go a second time within a week
- free Pacific Whale Foundation guided snorkel tours off Ulua Beach (in Wailea). BYO gear plus a floatie helps for the kids. They bring up creatures and talk about them.
- kayak tour in Makena Landing (we used Maui Eco Tours) 3 hour length was enough. Check the conditions though - it was pretty rough when we went.
- Molokini tour on a boat with a water slide. The snorkeling isn't as good as it used to be but still ok
- running around paths in 'Iao Valley (nature center didn't look too interesting for the price)
- Hookipa Beach in the afternoons to watch the windsurfers. There are also some small pools/rock areas to explore.

Oahu: it's been a while since we were there (celebrated son's 6th birthday there)
- The zoo and aquarium are nice
- Sea Life Park is great, especially with reasonably priced extra activities. We did the dolphins and rays.
- we didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center with him because he was a bit young to appreciate it but will next time
- Byodo In Temple in Kaneohe. Lots of Koi to feed and a huge bell to ring
- Hanauma Bay of course! You can rent "lookie boards" at Snorkel Bob's if your kids are shy about snorkeling.
- Manoa Falls hike
- watching windsurfers and kite surfers on Kailua Bay
- check out kayaking on Kaneohe Bay (Oahu Revealed talks about it and it sounds like fun)

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:53 AM

my kids loved boogie-boarding and snorkeling (rental for a week is very cheap).
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM

My kids were 6, 11, 16 & 18 when we went.

For snorkeling, we absolutely loved Honolua Bay when we were in Maui last June. Our group ranged in age from 7 yrs. to 64 yrs. Honolua Bay is north of Lahaina and is a marine preserve so there are lots of fish who are not too worried about people. We saw turtles, eels, and even squid/octopi (I don't know the difference). It is a cove so there was not a strong current when we were there. My guidebook says the snorkeling is best in the morning and calm spring, summer, & fall. My family all agreed that it was like being in a National Geographic special. Take hwy 30 north of Lahaina past D.T. Fleming Beach Park. You'll see a Mokuleia-Honolua Marine Reserve sign near a parking area. Go past this just a little ways and watch for a tiny dirt side road on the left. There will probably be other cars parked there. Park by the road and take the trail/dirt road in. The trail is an easy walk and absolutely lovely. The Snorkel Bob shops may even have a free print out map. We felt so pleased with ourselves for walking in for free when we saw one of those snorkel tour catamarans that people pay a tidy little sum for.

We all enjoyed the drive to Hana - we stayed overnight in Hana and ate at Mama's Fishhouse on the way back. They loved seeing a mongoose and swimming at the base of a waterfall.

They enjoyed the Atlantis Submarine ride - we did one on Maui and one on Oahu and they all agreed that Maui was better. We saved quite a bit using an Entertainment book coupon for this - I don't know if there is a coupon in the current E book.

They loved eating at Cheeseburger in Paradise and walking under the giant banyan tree in Lahaina. The oldest three also enjoyed their surf lesson with Goofy Foot surf lesson.

In Oahu - they enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural center. Again, the E-Book coupon was a great savings. They liked walking up the Waikiki strip in the evening. We enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay - although our rental car was broken into. That was a hassle.

My kids greatly preferred Maui to Oahu, which surprised me.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Oahu:

Honolulu Zoo, Hawaiian Adventures Water Park, Hike to Diamond Head summit, Waikiki Aquarium, Bishop Museum, Polynesian Cultural Center, Tantalus/Round Top Drive, Chinatown, snorkeling Hanauma Bay.

Lots to do on Oahu:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Activities available all islands:

www.hawaiifun.org I've never booked anything through them. I only use it to see what is available & the approximate costs of the activities.

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:14 AM

My 17 year old thought the best part of our trip to the islands was the Polynesian Culture Center!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Great lists
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:49 AM

We went with an 11 & 5 y/o about 1 1/2 ago to Oahu. Indeed they enjoyed the beaches, but honestly our kids favorites were the pools, the larger the better. Their favorite beach on Oahu was in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The ll year old tried snorkeling but not for too long. They also liked the Luau.

Let them each bring their own disposable camera, they'll have a blast getting to take their own vacation pics.
Here's more details of what we did and what they enjoyed:http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34505226
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM

If you're staying at the Grand Wailea, you've got it made! My daughter never wanted to leave! She loved the pools, the beach, the lobby...

We had to make a deal to intersperce resort days with touring days. The main thing is not to overplan activities. My daughter really did not enjoy the catamaran snorkeling trip to Lanai as much as she did snorkeling off the beach. She could have easily done without the helicopter trip and the road to Hana. You must still see and do some things YOU want to do, but children often like the low-key unscheduled things best!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Our Oahu favorites:
Beach, Beach, Beach--Waikiki for people-watching & wave jumping. Lanikai for sand castles, calm waters, and beautiful pictures. San Souci nice, too.
Polynesian Cultural Center--my kids LOVED the activities (weaving, "tatoos," poi balls) and shows. An all-day experience.
Aloha Stadium Swap Meet--Give the kids a set amount of money and have them pick out and buy their own souvenirs.
North Shore--if for nothing else than Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

I loved snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, but my kids were a little too young to enjoy it.

My kids love to eat on Oahu. Absolute favorite: Leonard's malasadas. We picked them up before heading out on the road and the kids wouldn't complain about the drive. Ono's Hawaiian Foods for kalua pig, curry, chicken long rice. Just about any place for a good plate lunch.

I agree with getting rash guards. They are life-savers. My youngest has eczema, but loves the sun and water. Rash guards allowed her to stay out at the beach pain free. And they do look cool, too.

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Ga9497, great choice for Honolulu in Moana Surfrider. The kids will love its easy access to the beach, plus the fun of the indoors old-fashioned look, big staircase, and verandah.
Whenmy dtr and friend were that age, they loved the usual beach fun (That hotel is on a great stretch of Waikiki) and the adventure of hiking through the tunnel tothe top of Diamond Head. However, in August it will be hot--perhaps that is best left for cooler season.
Also--Pearl Harbor. Your kids are not too young for this, based on our experience. Mine were both very affected by the video, followed by the Memorial, looking down and seeing the top of the Arizona and the oil leak on the water (though not sure if it still leaking). Tomorrow....Sixty four yrs ago
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 11:28 PM

Our children were 6, 6 and 9 when we took them. They too were moved by the Arizona Memorial and remember the oil and the brave, lost souls who perished. They loved strolling along the beach at Waikiki. And, they were crazy about Duke's Canoe Club (er, chicken fingers and pizza).

On Maui, they loved Lahaina, shopping for trinkets, Cheeseburger, Old Lahaina Luau, a whale watch/snorkel trip to Lana`i, swimming in pools along the Road to Hana, and the powder room and decor at Mama's Fish House. Also remember wistfully Bewitched reruns, though the show is not indigneous. But, perhaps their best times were simply playing along the beaches.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again

Crazy4hawaii - yes we are staying at the Grand Wailea and I know it will be hard to pull them away from there. We will have to compromise. We plan on not being out all day so that they will have some pool or beach time each day, even if it is for an hour.

We will be visiting with friends and going to see the new gym they just opened in Kihei, and they are looking forward to seeing them

We are going to skip the road to Hana this time unless we throw it in as a last minute thing

I will NOT get into a helicopter so that is not even on our list of things to do

I think we will skip Hanauma bay too. Hubby and I saw it last time and it was gorgeous but after reading how crowded it now is. I think I will stay away

Thanks again, I will be printing this thread out
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 08:31 AM

My daughter loved the outrigger canoe ride - closest thing to surfing without actually surfing.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM

What is a rash guard?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM

mcales, long sleave shirt, surfers brought to fashion fame. They used them in Australia to prevent the rash that could come in from constant surfing (board rubbing against skin).What they (whoever they are) learned is that is that they were tremendously effective in preventing sun exposure. American Skin Cancer association has links for approved brands.

Here is a photo, you have seen them. two girls sitting in water have them on

http://www.hawaiiskindiver.net/store...ort=2a&&page=2