Kansas City, MO-Lodging

Search

Kansas City, MO-Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kansas City, MO-Lodging

My DD, 18 years old and myself will be in Kansas City ,MO for a few days and are looking for lodging. We are interested in either B&B or a decent clean hotel

Thanks

Melissa
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Kansas City is a pretty large area...do you have a route you'd like to be close to or an attraction? Where are you coming from and what will you be doing while you are here?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Waht is your budget?

I prefer to stay on the Country Club Plaza.
I stay at Marriott Courtyard there - it is a beautifully renovated building .

Also, the Raphael is a great choice and they have nice specials.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

We are really interested in history. These are what we are coming to see, Truman's museum, Rice-Tremonti House,the Arabia steamboat museum, the national frontier trail museum, pioneer spring cabin, arrow rock,MO, Fort Leavenworth, MO,Jesse James FArm & Museum,James Brown Museum,City of Independence,Quindaro Ruins underground RR.

So what area do you think we should stay in?

Also, how many days do you feel we need to spend to comfortably see it all?

Thanks

Melissa
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

also, what is your opinion of the Hotel Savoy?

Melissa
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM

I would also recommend the Marriott Courtyard neat the Country Club Plaza. Or the Hyatt Regency at Crown Center.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM

We just stayed at the 4* Hyatt Regency Crown Center for around $100 a night on expedia.com
It was a great room on the 35th floor, totally renovated with the heavenly beds.
Couldn't beat it for the price.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:19 AM

Then staying on The Plaza or at Crown Center would probably work the best, and then you will at least feel like you are in a unique city rather than a bland one-size-fits-all suburb. Plus when you are done sightseeing, you can wander about and shop and you are convenient to lots of restaurants within walking distance.

The Marriott Courtyard is nice, as a PP mentioned. Other properties on The Plaza are a Sheraton Suites, and a Hampton Inn. The Raphael is charming. Don't have any knowledge of the Savoy...sorry!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great ideas

Melissa
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM

Also, you didn't mention visiting the World War I Museum here in town, but it is definitely worth including on your list of things to do if you like history. It's beneath the Liberty Memorial which is near Crown Center and Union Station.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM

The Savoy is (used to be) a great place to dine in style. I would not consider staying there, however. We noticed that service at the Savoy Grill was not quite what it used to be, but the last time we were there was probably a couple of years ago.

I second/third/? the idea of staying around the Country Club Plaza area!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM

Couple of notes about your itinerary ...

As a native from Leavenworth, I'm TRILLED you have decided to visit the town. There is a lot of history there.

Visit http://www.visitleavenworthks.com

Fort Leavenworth is known for the Command & General Staff College where military leaders from all over the world come to school.

It is also home to one of the military's disciplinary barracks (prisons).

Make sure everyone in your party has ID when entering the post - it is a closed military post.

Make sure you see the ruts still visible in the ground from the wagons of the pioneers!

Next to the Fort is the Federal Penitentary where Al Capone served his tax evasion sentence as well as other notables. This is the BIG HOUSE. There used to be buffalo on the west side - I don't know if they are still there. The Penitentary is just a drive by - do not trespass! If you want to take photos - part on a side street across from the pen and take your photos - DO NOT try to take photos on federal property!

And, if you want to see the other prisons that have made Leavenworth known as "Prison City," there's a US Marshals detention center near the Veteran's Administration campus/cemetery, and Lansing has the State Prison and Women's Correctional facilities.

I would probably do Truman's house/museum and the Rice Tremonti House the same day as they are in the same general area.

Arabia Steamboat Museum is at the River Market area - you might pair that with a stop at Union Station where the Kansas City Massacre occured and Pretty Boy Floyd was killed (http://www.fbi.gov/libref/historic/f...loyd/floyd.htm)
and possibly Science City (they have some neat exhibits at times - like Bodies Revealed).

Jesse James Museum and Farm is at the north end of Kansas City metro area. I don't have any good advice for visiting this (I have not done it). You could maybe do this in the early AM and then hit WORLDS of FUN (amusement park) or OCEANS of FUN for the great day of riding roller coasters or water slides!

You'll be glad to know that Kansas City is a pretty easy city to navigate. If you stay at the CCPlaza - Leavenworth is about 45-50 minutes north and you could spend a day. Independence is about 35 minutes east of the CCPlaza. The CCPlaza is a great place to stay - you'll be near shopping and eating and it's a great place to just walk around.

Hope you enjoy your trip and let me be the first to welcome you to Kansas City!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM

The World WAR I museum is second to none. It is one of the best museums in the world for this. It is done very well and a Must -see!!

Also Reccomend the Marriot Court yard on the Plaza - it is very unique for a chain and a great location!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the sightseeing suggestions

Melissa
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM

Well a great place to stay that is relatively cheaper than most of the other downtown hotels is the Comfort Inn & Suites. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, they have a free breakfast, free parking and wireless internet. For two people you could easily save over $100 on your hotel bill by staying at this hotel rather than the mariot or the Savoy. It is within walking distance to the Arabian Steamboat museum and the city market. If is in a great location just off the highway in the middle of everything you are looking for. The Truman Library, the WW1 memorial is close by its a great place to stay and you get a luxury room for a economy price. Only downside of the hotel is that there is not a lot of restaurants within walking distance but there are atleast 50 within 1 mile.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM

With all due respect, for a mom and daughter traveling together, the above would NOT be my recommendation for lodging in Kansas City...there are just too many other choices that are preferable. If money is a huge concern, then Priceline would be a good option.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Now I am really confused. Money , of course, is always , an issue but we really want to get a feel for Kansas City. So we want to stay where we know that we are in Kansas City.

Melissa
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM

I think Musicfan was referring to comfort Inn?
my opinion is that you stay on the Plaza for a unique feel of the city.
She agreed earlier about Marriot Court yard and Crown Plaza.
I go there for business quite a bit and I really enjoy the Plaza. It is very beautiful place with all the fountains and statues, shops etc...
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:04 AM

Yes, I was referring to the Comfort Inn which was recommended by the (brand-new) poster just above. I apologize for the confusion.

Either Crown Center or the Plaza would be wonderful choices for you and your daughter, as anne mentioned and I think you would really enjoy either location. I know just what you mean about feeling like you ARE somewhere unique when you travel as I feel the same way.

I hope you have a wonderful time here and let us know how your trip went, what you did, etc.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM

You've gotten a lot of great advice. I agree with staying on the Plaza. It does give you the feeling of being in Kansas City, and not just in a generic hotel in a generic city.

If you have any interest at all in military history, please add the WWI museum (as mentioned above) to your itinerary. It is fantastic! We also have enjoyed the Truman Library and the Arabian Steamboat musuem. Enjoy -- it sounds like a really nice trip. (Don't forget to eat some KC BBQ!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -