Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kanab boycott? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kanab-boycott-601995/)

ccrosner Mar 24th, 2006 07:20 AM

Kanab boycott?

I read in my Boston paper today that some people are planning to boycott Kanab, Utah due to a recent proclamation/law they passed. They have said they are in support of a "traditional American family" where the husband is the breadwinner, the wife is a stay-at-home mom and they have tons of kids.

Even though my family is similar (we only have two kids, though), I believe in live and let live. So I think I would keep on driving. We did drive through there in 2004 and did a quick gas fill up between Lake Powell and Bryce. Glad I won't be going back.

Don't mean to be political....just thought others on this board might be interested.

GoTravel Mar 24th, 2006 07:22 AM

We beat to death a thread on boycotting a destination because of local politics.

I think the bottom line is by boycotting you hurt the people that need the money the most.

TheWeasel Mar 24th, 2006 07:27 AM

Yes GoT, that thread was beaten to death, but.....this is a much more local boycott. I agree that a state-wide boycott is pointless. But boycotting a town - well, you have a much better chance of impacting the persons responsible for policies you dislike. If you really want to boycott them, I suppose you could even look up the voting record (assuming it was passed by a city council) and boycott individual members' establishments, rather than the entire town.

I don't really have an opinion on the boycott per se, just saying that in this case, given the size of the town, a boycott could actually affect those responsible for the subject of the boycott.

dsquared Mar 24th, 2006 08:20 AM

ccrosner, can you provide a link to the article? I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks.

capecodshanty Mar 24th, 2006 08:24 AM

Go to Boston.com dsquared,and from there to today's Boston Globe, putting in the key word.

utahtea Mar 24th, 2006 08:35 AM

It's making a lot of newspapers:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/...AZ758UUgABAA@@

Utahtea

KevinK Mar 24th, 2006 08:46 AM

So let me get this right. There is a town out west in which some of its citizens have proclaimed the importance of women staying home to raise their own children. Is that such a horrible thought? Is it better to pop them out, wait 6 weeks, drop them off at daycare and pick them up around 7? There are many parts of Providence where walking during the middle of the day is not safe. No ones home with these kids. Where would you like buying your gas? Women, why do you feel so guilty about not being with you kids? Maybe you all feel it is better to raise them yourselves. Sorry to be so political.

Loki Mar 24th, 2006 08:54 AM

Why is it important for the women to stay home and not the men?

This is clearly an bigotted attempt to legislate religon.

dsquared Mar 24th, 2006 09:12 AM

Thanks capecodshanty and utahtea - found it.

kvick Mar 24th, 2006 09:23 AM

Good grief! These people are in favor of a mom and dad, with mom at home to take care of multiple children!
What next?
We should most certainly boycott this place. Maybe even nuke it!

wtm003 Mar 24th, 2006 09:28 AM

I just really don't like boycotts. Who cares if some little town wants a resolution in support of a traditional American family. There is no way this could be enforced. I think Arthur Frommer and others are on the verge of hysteria.

I'm sure the Catholic Church has a similar philosophy. Are you going to skip Vatican City on your next trip to Rome?

TheWeasel Mar 24th, 2006 09:31 AM

"the City Council in the overwhelmingly Mormon community unanimously passed a resolution in favor of the "natural family" consisting of a working husband, a stay-at-home wife and a "full quiver of children.""

This is what the fuss is about. I can understand why some would get upset with the idea that women should stay at home and give birth to a full quiver of children.

Intrepid1 Mar 24th, 2006 09:32 AM

It really is appropriate that the Mormons in Kanab (yes, that is EXACTLY who it is) are speaking out for their beliefs and I am certain they would put their religious beliefs before all those "gentile" tourist dollars that might be sacrificed.

I am certain they would also just as soon people who don't believe as they do stay away so go ahead and do so.

Ideas die hard in that part of Utah. After all, this is the state which was TOLD to outlaw polygamy in 1890 or they would NOT be admitted to the Union (why else do you think they did it?).

utahtea Mar 24th, 2006 09:33 AM

If you think Kanab, Utah is bad, then check out Colorado City, AZ and Hildale, AZ for polygamist & polygamy! Poloygamy is a live and well in these two cities just 40 miles from Kanab.

Utahtea

Malesherbes Mar 24th, 2006 10:00 AM

It seems the thrust of the resolution was actually for a traditional (man to woman) marriage and the stay at home with the quiver bit was an aside. What the heck is a quiver anyway? As a noun I thought it was something that held arrows (hmmm symbolic perhaps). So how does this apply? Or as a verb, to shake...which is what I would do if I had too many kids and I had to stay home yet still make ends meet!

Heck...let's boycott Utah <i>and</i> AZ.

utahtea Mar 24th, 2006 10:24 AM

&quot;What the heck is a quiver anyway? As a noun I thought it was something that held arrows.&quot;

Think of kids as arrows, lots &amp; lots of arrows!

Utahtea

peterboy Mar 24th, 2006 10:24 AM

I'd have to say that this may be a step forward for Kanab. At least they only make reference to one wife rather than several of them.

As far as a boycott is concerned...go ahead if it bothers you. I'm sure it won't change anything but, it is your right to do so just as it is their right to pass their local proclamation/law.

It would be wise to remember that freedom is a double edged sword. I don't agree with their way of thinking either and I would resist this measure were it to come to a vote in my town but that isnn't the point is it? Kanab is their town not mine.

laurieb_nyny Mar 24th, 2006 10:34 AM

Maybe I'm a little slow -- but what exactly are the lawmakers in Kanab going to do to a working mom who only has 2 kids -- throw her in jail?

peterboy Mar 24th, 2006 10:36 AM

Far more sinister is this Mormon trend:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/...505997,00.html

peterboy Mar 24th, 2006 10:39 AM

In fairness, I should have said &quot;fundamentalist Mormon&quot; trend.

My apologies to monogamous Mormons.