Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kanaapali - Hyatt, Westin or Sheraton (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kanaapali-hyatt-westin-or-sheraton-481171/)

lasjas Oct 19th, 2004 02:48 AM

Kanaapali - Hyatt, Westin or Sheraton

what's your pick for a couple with no children... we love the beach and we love a nice pool also, adult only pools are good too :)
(we just came back from Hawaii last month) we are going back to Maui in 6 weeks, we will split our stay between Kanaapali and Wailea, because we will be there to get some business done in order to move to Maui in March. we thought while we are doing this business... we would like to stay on 2 different parts of the island this time, also because we wont be sure which part of the island we need to be on til a week before we go... so if we split our stay between Kanaapali and Wailea we have a better chance of being conveninet to where we need to be for atleast part of the trip....

in Wailea we will stay at the Grand Wailea, which we love! of course I havent booked the room yet, so hopefully (dont ask what I am waiting for.. just been busy)

so, being that we wont have much time to spend at the resort anyway cause we'll be in meetings and taking care of business...
we still want to pick the best resort for us... Hyatt , Westin or Sheraton?

thank you!!!

stever Oct 19th, 2004 04:58 AM

Easy... Sheraton = Black Rock.

Steve

goodgollymm Oct 19th, 2004 05:15 AM

And as a fallback, the Westin. The Hyatt is a nice property as well, but rather huge, and the layout is not totally ideal, such as the pool. However, it is a good place as well, and would be okay for you if the others are booked. Enjoy your trip.

Suzie Oct 19th, 2004 07:43 AM

Well, let's see you've got a recommendatin for the Sheraton and then the Westin and now my recommendation for a couple with no kids would be the .....Hyatt. Been there 3 times and had a wonderful, amazing time each visit. Would love to go back right now since it's hidious weather today!

beachgirl86 Oct 19th, 2004 08:14 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt this past August and loved it. Do a search under my screen name and you should find my trip report with lots of details.

caribtraveler Oct 19th, 2004 08:50 AM

I can only comment on the Westin Maui since we stayed there in 2001. It's a VERY child-friendly hotel. I remember lots of screaming kids. There is an adult pool but it's kinda plain and boring. All the other fun pools (with the slide and waterfalls) are where you'll find the screaming kids.
I haven't stayed at the other places so can't comment on those.

JackB Oct 19th, 2004 09:00 AM

I would vote Hyatt. I've stayed there and at the Westin.

1tiredmama Oct 19th, 2004 09:25 AM

We were at the Westin last month. It is a big draw for families with kids because of their "water park". Westin is so convenient though, right next to restaurants in Whaler's Village. The Sheraton down the road seemed to have very few children though, and they are right on Black Rock which is great if you have time to snorkel. Don't know about the Hyatt.

Wow, moving to Maui? I am jealous.

kolohegirl Oct 19th, 2004 11:25 AM

what's your pick for a couple with no children... we love the beach and we love a nice pool also, adult only pools are good too

so, being that we wont have much time to spend at the resort anyway cause we'll be in meetings and taking care of business...
we still want to pick the best resort for us... Hyatt , Westin or Sheraton?

Hmmm. I'm guessing what little time you do have to spend at the beach or poolside you would like to have as child-free as possible. Then I wouldn't book the Grand Wailea. Since you'll be coming early December, most mainland kids are still in school so it won't be as bad as summer or the two of weeks of Christmas/New Years. Anyway, on the West side, go for the Sheraton. Of those 3 you mentioned, Sheraton's got the best beach and most kids prefer the pools at the Hyatt and Westin over Sheraton. Good luck in your business venture here. It's tough keeping a business afloat on this island.