Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kalalau trail--anyone hike beyond the first beach and back as part of a dayhike? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kalalau-trail-anyone-hike-beyond-the-first-beach-and-back-as-part-of-a-dayhike-334456/)

Corgie Jul 7th, 2003 08:37 AM

Kalalau trail--anyone hike beyond the first beach and back as part of a dayhike?

We leave in exactly two weeks!!! YAY!!!
We are STILL planning our hikes and need some advice.

We don't have a permit to camp on the trail so what ever we do we will have to do as a day hike. So our options are:

1. Hike to the first beach and up to the waterfall (everyone does this--this is the one that I want to do)

2. Hike to the second waterfall and back in a day. (My husband wants to do this--I think he is crazy)

Has anyone ever done option #2? Is it unreasonable? We are fit experienced hikers. Any feed back would be much appreciated.

We also are looking into a boat trip up the Na pali. I get a bit sea sick sometimes so I'm a bit hesitant. Is there one that actually goes to Kalalau Beach?

Thanks again everyone!!!

C.

Corgie Jul 7th, 2003 12:24 PM

topping!

RichinPA Jul 7th, 2003 01:58 PM

Have done the hike to the first beach and first waterfall. At a leisurely pace, time for lunch at the beach, taking pics, maybe a little swim at the first beach, you will have 6 or 7 hours locked up. I'm not exactly sure of the distance of the second hike, but you may be pushing it in 1 day.

We will be there also in two weeks, actually in 10 more days. Staying at the Cliffs i Princeville.

scigirl Jul 7th, 2003 02:24 PM

My understanding is that without a permit you aren't supposed to hike passt Hanakapi'ai beach (regardless of intent to camp or not). The route to the Hanakapi'ai falls does not require a permit. You may want to call the Division of State Parks to check before you set out. I think the trail past the beach is rougher going and as the other poster noted may push the time limit for what can be accomplished in one day.

Corgie Jul 7th, 2003 04:32 PM

Okay thanks everyone! According to the state park web-site, there are 2 types of permits: day use and camping. Camping is impossible to get. Day use permits are available but most people don't go any farther than the first beach and waterfall.

Regarding a cataraman ride: What is the difference between leaving Port Allen and Hanalei? According to the guide book Hanalei outfitters are better? Anyone disagree?

thanks again!

RichinPA Jul 7th, 2003 05:05 PM

As of last year, all power boat tours were leaving from Post Allen, not Hanalei. Hanalei Bay only has sail p[owered craft leaving from the Bay due to environmental concerns. Again, that was as of last July.

The Port Allen cruises require a longer travel time to get to the scenic area of the Napali Coast. Make sure to book with one that is long enough to aloow you to get all the way up the coast for the best sights.