Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kal's Kwick SF trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kals-kwick-sf-trip-553542/)

Kal Aug 22nd, 2005 02:11 PM

Kal's Kwick SF trip

Alohaaaaa...

Booked the Club Quarters thru Hotwire for something like $80/night for Sat/Sunday night. 3.5 ((*))hotel in Embarcadero.

I've stayed there plenty of times for business. Nice but 3.5((*)) :-?

Good location tho. A nice walk to Union Sq. short walk to Ferry Building...$6 cab ride to NoBeach. Very good service too. Hustling young people. Elephant and Castle attached to it for a cocktail, munchies or a meal.

Booked a table for 4 thru opentable.com for Acme Chop House located at 24 Willie Mays Drive...aka SBC (<b>S</b>hould <b>B</b>e <b>C</b>alled Pac Bell) Park

Great meal!
Very good, friendly yet professional service...in other words, they all put up with me. O:)
One of thee best rib eyes I ever had. Ditto Mrs K's dbl cut pork chop. Dining companions got the salmon special and they left no prisoners...saved the dishwaher some work too.
Side dishes of designer mac and cheese and some sort of corn w/ red peppers, salami/pepperoni were also delish.

Plum sorbet, Chocolate fudge pie and an apricot berry cobler made excellent desserts.
Great wine list.

Our first &quot;final final&quot; was at MoMos while we waited for a cab.
2nd final final was at Elephant/Castle.

Sunday; Bloody Mary's at Kuleto's while the gals shopped.

Scored 4 tix to The Rat Pack Tribute at Post Theater's matinee.
VERY funny. Made us wish we would have seen them in person in their hayday. The guy who does Dino had him nailed.

Weather wise we could not have bought a better weekend. The beginning of a great sunset from the Ferry Building, fog rolling in covering up the TransAmPyramid....yes...I was one of those tourists who had to buy a wind breaker, but it's only because I forgot to bring mine. North Face rules!

Wind breaker and shorts still work for me.
After buying my wind breaker it was off to the Ferry Building and the Wine Merchant for pre-dinner snacks.
Love those guys down there.

Got a nice NZ pinot, Sherwood, and the meat/cheese plate.

Tried to get into the Slanted Door but didn't feel like having dinner at 9:30...(what recession?) so we cabbed it up to the Mona Lisa in &quot;NoBeechay&quot;.

Good rec, LoveItaly.

The 100% Italian, First Gen American Mrs Kal gave it a ((Y))((Y)).

L'Italy was correct about the Italian waiters. He told me &quot;t'ank you&quot; once at the beginning of the meal and when I said &quot;prego, paisano&quot; we were the best of friends the rest of the night.

He and Mrs Kal had some Italian convos so maybe that's why we got a LOAD of fettucine bolognese, spaghetti, lasgne and meatballs?

Good service, excellent menu and wine list. Needs a bit more ventilation especially if you're sitting waaaaaay in the back.

Reminds me of Luna's in NYC.
No room for dessert but it was such a nice walk (waddle?) back to ClQtrs for the final final.

Driving over the Bay bRdige today gave you an excellent goosebumpling view of SF. :-X

OK....nap time. Can't wait to go back to work tomorrow to get some rest! ;)

Maybe we should have a bit more formal GTG in SF for the post-Nike Marathon in Oct??? :-&quot;

FainaAgain Aug 22nd, 2005 03:22 PM

Any kind is OK with me... if you'll be wearing your &quot;San Francisco&quot; windbreaker, that is :)

We MUST have a GTG in SF! But I am not runnin'!

easytraveler Aug 22nd, 2005 04:15 PM

Kal: mucho thanks for the review on Acme Chop House. I've always wanted to try it, but haven't had the opportunity so far.

Love Traci Desjardins' restaurant, Jardiniere, although her taqueria in the Ferry Building gets very mixed reviews.

So glad you posted about Acme, which is more American than the French-American of Jardiniere! Can't wait now to try it out! Thanks again! :)

Betsy Aug 22nd, 2005 06:53 PM

Goosebumples? C-u-t-e!
&gt;:D&lt;

LoveItaly Aug 22nd, 2005 07:17 PM

Hey dear Kal, you know how happy I am that you all had a great weekend in SF. Now a question for you. Has SF recovered from your visit? LOL. Cin,cin!

MelissaHI Aug 22nd, 2005 09:01 PM

I'm officially jealous!

Kal, always protect your meatballs.

PamSF Aug 22nd, 2005 11:32 PM

I'm busitn' my meatballs ministering to the sick and the despondent and your out painting the town!

It could happen to a nicer guy!

XXOO to you and Mrs. K!

The young, the fabulous, the hard bodied,
MZ P

PamSF Aug 22nd, 2005 11:33 PM

whoops....that would be &quot;you're out painting the town!&quot;

You can take the girl out of Jersey but you can't make her spell!

dovima Aug 23rd, 2005 08:16 AM

Hey Kal, great report - with the kind of details we enjoy! Acme Chophouse gets my vote for best fried onion rings. Acme broke my usual iron discipline (haha) and forced me to eat my share of the little goodies. And the filet mignon was good too.

Kal Aug 23rd, 2005 04:51 PM

Pammer,
It could not have been more perfect...we ran out of paint right when we ran out of town!

dovi-Glad I didn't see those little fellas!!!!

ET, yep. Give it a try.

Bets-You're still alive?!?!?! YEAAAA!!!

Mels,
My meatballs were a lot better once I got the wind breaker. @-)

MelissaHI Aug 23rd, 2005 05:44 PM

...and that's no bolognese!
:B