Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kahala or Halekulani? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kahala-or-halekulani-231802/)

Cindy Jun 17th, 2002 09:09 AM

Kahala or Halekulani?

Going to Oahu for our honeymoon in December. Can't decide between Kahala Mandarin Oriental and Halekulani. I've read up and both seem amazing so I'm having trouble deciding between the two. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tina Jun 17th, 2002 09:33 AM

Cindy -<BR><BR>Just my opinion, but why would you choose Oahu for a honeymoon when you could have chosen Maui, Kauai or the Big Island. All three are much nicer honeymoon spots, less crowded and offer so much more. You're spending all those $$$s to go to Hawaii, but why spend it on Oahu? Sorry, but we've been there, done that, and Oahu holds less appeal than the other islands, does not have as lovely beaches and has six lanes of highway. The other islands offer much more of a romantic interlude.

ddd Jun 17th, 2002 09:41 AM

You should ask yourself do I want to be in a busy environment (some people love that) or do I want to be in an environment away from the hubbub? If you know you want to be away from a busy quality than choose Kahala. If you are person that likes to get up take a long walk on the beach, pick up coffee window shop than go to Waikiki. Take an evening strol and buy some ice cream go to the Halekulani.<BR><BR>Any word out there on how long the beach is at the Kahala Mandarain? I use to walk Waikiki for 2hours from one end to the other. Not sure you can do that at Kahala. You will see more stars and have more peacful nights in Kahala. So those are pros and cons about where they are placed. The hotels on their own are great it is just more for me about where the hotels are placed. Can’t go wrong with either hotel unless Waikiki is too busy for you. It’s a very busy place so you can only know by your own personality if you would not like that. <BR>

Gary Jun 18th, 2002 08:46 PM

Have stayed at both, although it has been years at the Kahala. I prefer the Halekulani, where we stayed two years ago and are staying again in a month. It is an absolutely first-class hotel, one of the nicest I've stayed in. Very elegant, beautiful service, restaurants, pools, etc. Kahala is very nice, but just not quite up there with the Halekulani. It is true, tho, the Halekulani is in the middle of Waikiki, while the Kahala is more remote, so depends on what you want. We usually go to Kauai also (as we are this time), so our Honolulu time is better spent somewhere where we can be in more civilization, since the Kauai time is more quiet.

Samuel Jun 19th, 2002 01:10 AM

Halekulani wins hands down!!! We think its one of the better hotels in the world .

rmc Jun 19th, 2002 04:18 AM

Cindy,<BR><BR>I just got back from the Kahala a few weeks ago and wrote a very detailed report on this hotel. The post is called "Oahu Trip Report - Part 3 of our Vacation" and I've topped it for you. I've never stayed at the Halekulani so I can't comment specifically on that hotel. Good luck with your decision.