Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kahala Mandarin Oriental blows Halekulani away!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:47 AM
John R.

Just back from Oahu. I had a tough time deciding on a lodging around Waikiki and had done a lot of research, including a lot from this message board. Thanks to all for your input.

We stayed at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental (see my review under "Hotels"). All I can say is WOW! The Kahala is a warm, inviting, classy, but not snobby resort (yes, resort not hotel). It is a slice of heaven and you have to pry yourself into your cab when you leave because it is like leaving an old friend behind. The grounds, beach, pool area, lagoon (with dolphins!) are gougeous. You are in a place where you have space, not cramped in the city. This place is an experience not just a hotel. You can totally relax, or be as active as you want. See my review for more details.

However, the one point I did want to make should you have the same decision as I did just a few weeks ago. If you are considering Halekulani and the Mandarin Oriental, there is no contest. The Halakulani is probably a nice hotel with good service, but we went there a few times to see "what we may have missed", but we didn;t really miss anything. The pool area is cramped with you loungs chair neighbor just inches away. The beach is tiny and gets swept away at high tide, and the surf is fairly rough. The Mandarin has no surf, as it has a "shelf" that is only several feet deep, which does not allow the big waves in. The Halekulani seemed a bit "stuffy" and the lobby was small and uninviting. It is also located in a congested area and is right across from a Denny's restaurant. The Manadarin has expansive tropical gourgeous spaces that you can spread out in.

Clearly the choice, at least for us, was easy. If you want something in the thick of the city and don't need a lot of space and don't mind noise, then you may have different feelings.

Anyway, if you go to Oahu/Waikiki enjoy!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:26 PM
bob

tahnks john, that was exactly my dilemma and i choses the kahala mandarin.i will be going in 20 days, thanks for the report

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:57 PM
gorgeous

Can'tttt anyone spell around here, or was it tahnks to the mai-tais?

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:19 AM
EJ

I agree with John R. This place is WONDERFUL! The room we had was luxurious...11' ceilings (ground floor, mountain view) wonderful views, attentive staff. One recommendation...rent the kayaks at the beach cabana and kayak off to the left side (if you're standing on the beach,looking out at the ocean, that left)....you'll get some wonderful views! The only thing lacking was any decent snorkeling off the beach. BUT, you're so close to Hanauma, no worries.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Beth

The Kahala Mandarin Oriental blows every place I've ever been to away!!! Hyatt in Kauai is a close second.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Ed

Sorry, I disagree -- the Hyatt Regency Kauai is a far more elaborate and beautiful property!!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:04 PM
John R.

First- to the spellcheck poster-child with the comment above. Everybody's human, so unless you've never committed a grammatical error, then SHUT UP!!!

Second, I'm glad if my review helped anyone. Also, I'm sure the Hyatt Kauai is gourgeous, but as far as Oahu is concerned, you can't beat the Mandarin.

Also, keep an eye out on the Travel Channel. Just the other day after getting back form Oahu I tuned in to Samantha Brown's exploring great hotels program and presto - there she was at the Kahala Mandarin - scary!!

Some last thoughts - street performers in Waikiki are really cool, look for Art In Motion - he is great. Duke's Canoe Club is pretty good for drinks at sunset. Walk Waikiki beach, it's a trip, great people watching.

Mahalo and Aloha.....

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:55 PM
xxx

Kahala Mandarin Oriental is the best hotel on Earth - PERIOD!!!!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Maya

Just a WEE BIT of hyperbole there, don't'cha think xxx?
Ever been to the Four Seasons Bali?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Allan

I don't agree with either one of you: The Kahala, while nice, is very overrated--and I have NO DESIRE whatsoever to even go near Bali. VERY RELIABLE sources close to me have suggested I avoid it like the plague!!