Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kaanapali vs. Kehei Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kaanapali-vs-kehei-maui-778993/)

LuLuBC Apr 14th, 2009 10:39 AM

Kaanapali vs. Kehei Maui

We're looking for the best beach in Maui: white sandy beach, no rocks on the bottom, no rough waters. Need your opinion: Kehei or Kaanapali?
Also, what would be the best condo to rent (money's not an issue) ?

We've decided (my husband and I) to leave this coming Saturday (April 18, 2009) from BC, Canada; therefore, any swift response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all of you.

sf7307 Apr 14th, 2009 10:45 AM

Even if money is not an issue, what is "best" to you - being on the beach? Fabulous pool? Newly decorated? Generally speaking, Kihei is not upscale (that doesn't mean it isn't great, just that you should know what you're getting). Wailea (near Kihei) would be more upscale. Kaanapali is a planned development with a mix of properties (Hyatt - very upscale, Kaanapali Beach Hotel - not so much).

Barbara5353 Apr 14th, 2009 11:47 AM

Changing ocean conditions can lead to red flags on even the most perfect beaches. The beaches I find most consistent for wonderful-ness are the Kamaole beaches in So. Kihei. Having stayed at most condo complexes in the area, the one I recommend for best beachfront location is Hale Pau Hana.
I also like the spacious lawn area. Not upscale, perhaps, but very nice. You can view all units on their website and see photos of the beach just a few steps away. I'd call and ask what units are available for your dates, then check them out to see if they appeal. I got an email from them recently offering special rates for spring. Not sure if this is just for returning guests, but I'd politely ask. Many Canadians own at this complex, and also at Royal Mauian, which is just 2 doors down. Here's Hale Pau Hana's site: www.hphresort.com

Marginal Apr 14th, 2009 12:17 PM

I think the beach in front of the Maui Prince Hotel in south Maui (Makena) is the best beach on Mauil.

ksucat Apr 14th, 2009 12:32 PM

I think the beaches are nicer south of Kihei area but I prefer to stay in West Maui..Napili, Kapalua area.
I love the Makena area south of Kihei..not really a fan of Kihei.
Westin/Hyatt has a nice flat beach white sandy beach at Kaanapali.great hotels.
I'm all over the place when in Maui but most people want to stay put.

LuLuBC Apr 14th, 2009 01:40 PM

Thank you, guys.
Yes, staying on the beach is our main activity; plus, restaurants and, maybe, a little bit of a croud around.
I've done some research...What about "The Whalers" regarding the beach?

sf7307 Apr 14th, 2009 02:30 PM

We stayed at the Whaler last year. The beach is nice, but I wasn't particularly thrilled with the complex. First, the pool and pool area are very small (and in need of some repair; however, the pool water was really warm, which I love). The units are all owned and decorated individually, so its very important to know which unit you're going to be staying in -- you can reserve through The Whaler, or directly with various owners (on VRBO and the like). Our unit was decorated in "early Hawaiian" -- not really to my liking, but it was a nice size and had a decent view. Some people have complained about the views over the top of the Whaler Shopping Center (or even aromas from the restaurants there - we didn't notice anything like that). All in all, I wouldn't stay there again, and I thought it was very overpriced (maybe not in comparison to other places, though)) I wonder what the rates are like now.

Barbara5353 Apr 14th, 2009 02:42 PM

Wailea is more upscale than Kihei, with better beaches (IMO) than Kaanapali. Many good restaurants and shops.
My favorite oceanfront complexes are Polo Beach Club and Elua Village. The very reputable South Maui Condos web site has some wonderful units at both, and also at the luxurious Makena Surf (out of my price range).
www.mauiownercondos.com

andrews98682 Apr 15th, 2009 09:56 PM

I stayed at the Royal Lahaina Hotel in Kaanapali a few years ago and loved the location. The hotel itself? Not so much, although it was in the early stages of a much-needed renovation and probably has much nicer rooms now. The best thing, though, was the beach out front was beautiful and empty. All the big resorts and most condos were on the other side of Black Rock so it was much more crowded over there. But on the Royal Lahaina side, the beach was practically empty. There were a few condos but nothing else, and the shops and restaurants were a short walk away.