Kaanapali Maui and Waikiki Oahu trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from Hawaii. Great weather! Stayed at KBH..not techno savvy or hip place, but friendly "Most Hawaiian" staff makes up for it. Great location 2 hotels over from Black Rock for great snorkeling. Next door to Whaler's Village for shopping and Hula Grill (yum yum yum).

Did road to Hana to beautiful black beach for picnic. Stop for banana bread...a must YUM. Favorite of the group was the chocolate one.

Lahaina...packed with shoppers (cruises?). More commercial now. Went to the required Cheeseburger in paradise...lunch for 4 $80 - for burgers. Good and fun but better deals elsewhere.

Went to Molokini Crater for snorkeling...really not much there but fun day on the water..went with Maui Classic on Four Winds II for a fun time - nice staff. Better snorkeling at Black Rock in Kaanapali or at Ulua Beach near Wailea/Hikei.

Went to Oahu for Arizona and Waikiki. Stayed at the grand pink Royal Hawaiian. Nice, but the old 1925 gal needs some work. Staff friendly..tower rooms good and pretty good view of Diamondhead. BUT, pool and beach chair hours absolutely suck. No activities, little entertainment, little pool bar food and drink selection. Alas, as much as I love her, she ain't worth her rates right now. Wish they fix the old gal up. She is so much a part of what Waikiki is.

Arizona...great of course but get there at the crack of dawn. We went right from plane (new service Go! flights..pilot Chris was a hoot...will definetly fly Go! again...fly a cessna Grand Caravan from Kapalua). Bowfin Sub was neat too.

Overall a fantastic time. KBH staff was so friendly they have restored my faith in the Hawaiian 'ohana' welcoming culture...which was totally gone after my last trip. So, we may be back.

If you are heading out...Aloha and safe travels!

ps..The Hawaii Gold card did NOTHING for us. Saved $ on Molokini trip but NO ONE else would take it. Actually had a store (Hilo Hatties) tell me that rarely any vendors accept it. Entertainment card doesn't help much either..especially if you are not in Honolulu. If you are heading there and want more info..reply to my trip report post.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear the poor report on the Royal Hawaiian. What's wrong with the pool hours? I was giving some thought to spending a couple of nights there on my next Oahu trip.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM

I'm mystified myself on the Royal H, report...I just came back myself (January) and unless things have dramatically changed I don't understand.

The lounge chairs were setup on the beach at Sunrise every day. I saw them setting them up by torch lights before the sun rose!

At night they take them in after sundown, can't remember the time but it was close to dinner and it was getting cool anyway. And the pool was definately open until 9 or 10 PM at night.

The bar at the beach serves...well everything...(the best damn Mai Tai's)

Yes the bar area needs updating, and when I attended the managers party, he told me they were spending millions this year to redo the beach bar area and dining......perhaps it has started and is what you experienced?

As for the remainder of the hotel, it is pristine, so I would love to hear what exactly has happened in the past 5 months.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Gee, I just booked at the Royal Hawaiian for October. I asked for a renovated room, ocean front in the old building. Now I am nervous. Did I make a mistake?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM

Ellaine, I dont know what that post was about, I wish she would explain.

I dont think you will have any problems.....I go every year, and just came back in February...what on earth could have happened???

Try calling the front desk and ask if they have shut anything down, or if they are doing any extensive renovations.

If I did not stay there, the only other place I would consider would be next door at the Moana Surfrider. Other then that, most of the other hotels are your standard big, busy places that are standard in every big city.

I don't think you are making a mistake, and the Royal Hawaiin has the best beach in Waikiki.