Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Just Maui or Honolulu too for 1st Hawaii trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/just-maui-or-honolulu-too-for-1st-hawaii-trip-501297/)

Deblynn Feb 4th, 2005 08:36 PM

Just Maui or Honolulu too for 1st Hawaii trip?

Will be going to Hawaii for our anniversary, 1st Hawaii trip. We want a relaxing trip, not too hectic, but not sure if we should miss Pearl Harbor or not. We only have 7-8 nights and don't want to be too busy, we get that at home! We have talked about just Maui, but don't want to be sorry, cuz we're not sure when we will get to Hawaii again. Any help would be great. We have to book soon! Thanks, Deblynn

Melissa5 Feb 4th, 2005 11:14 PM

Deblynn, I think 7 to 8 nights on just Maui is just right for an anniversary trip. Skip Honolulu and Pearl Harbor for this trip...I haven't seen them yet, but we spent our anniversary trip on just maui, and it really felt right. You can split the time on Maui between 2 hotels in 2 different locations if you want. That's what we did. maui is very romantic if you plan it right.

bonniebroad Feb 5th, 2005 05:52 AM

Deblynn, with seven or eight nights in Hawaii, I would spend the last one on Oahu, and pay my respects at Pearl Harbor. You could also do Mai Tai's and dinner on the sand at Duke's, right on Waikiki Beach, take a sunset stroll (the sky, water, lights, music are amazing) ... get a little taste of how fun Waikiki can be! Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.... :-)

ttyme Feb 5th, 2005 07:18 AM

We did the same thing for our 1st Hawaii trip last Feb. Took a day on O to see Waikiki and Pearl Harbor then the rest of the week in Maui. Honestly, I'd skip Pearl Harbor and Waikiki. Unless you're really into history or it's sentimental to you (my Grandfather lost 3 best friends on the Arizona). It's something you can do when you are very old and less able to be active if you want, but the fun stuff on Maui is the best return on your time, and relaxing is absolutely on Maui, NOT Honolulu. It was our first trip, we are now in LOVE with Maui and returning in two weeks. I said last year to my wife, "If I had it to plan over again I'd fly direct to Maui and skip Honolulu." Waikiki and PH are worth seeing, once...if you ever get back.

bonniebroad Feb 5th, 2005 07:34 AM

Ttyme, with all due respect, if you have spent only one day on Oahu, your knowledge of what relaxation and fun the island has to offer is extremely limited. I have been to the four major islands several times, and, believe me, Oahu is a dazzler in many ways and places! Pearl Harbor is an experience that I think most Americans visiting the Islands would/should want to have, whether you are young, old or in-between. Of course, JMHO..... :-)

ChristieP Feb 5th, 2005 07:45 AM

As a patriotic American, I can say that my visit to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial was something I will never forget. IMHO, Pearl is something that every American needs to see so that we can all remember that our freedom wasn't free.

I did a day trip over to Oahu from the Big Island with Polynesian Adventures. It was a good way to get to see the sights I wanted to see without renting a car, etc. I highly recommend them!

simpsonc510 Feb 5th, 2005 08:15 AM

I would agree with bonniebroad that there is much to see/do on Oahu besides the busy Honolulu/Waikiki. You CAN actually relax on Oahu! I'd take at least one or two full days there, and the rest of the time on Maui (I would have chosen Kauai) but you will have a lovely time, I'm sure.

Pearl Harbor is very touching and thought provoking. You should see the waves on the North Shore of Oahu...WOW.. as you do a drive of Oahu in a 1-day rental car. You haven't seen Hawaii without spending a little time on Waikiki!

JMHO...
Carol

ttyme Feb 5th, 2005 08:20 AM

Day trip is an excellent idea!

bonniebroad: I didn't say Oahu didn't have anything relaxing, I'm sure it does and I understand where you are coming from. I said Honolulu was not, and yes, in the 35 hours I was there (1.5 hours of it in traffic trying to get short distance from airport to Waikiki beach hotel and another 2 hours in traffic to go to and from snorkeling the bay) I can easily say that Maui is far more relaxing than Honolulu.

Regarding the plea to go see PH for the sake of freedom...The Deblynn couple wants "relaxing", and to avoid "busy"...whether they want patriotism is their call. Deblynn, you will face the question of "did you see Pearl Harbor" when you get back, but your vacation is yours...if others feel strongly about Pearl Harbor they can go there, or to their local vetran's graveyard on Veterans day and leave flowers or a flag.

It's your call if you will regret it or not, all I can say is that the memorial itself is high on sentimental, low on what there is to really see or what you would "miss" if you didn't go...it's more about "remembering" (which is great) thus "memorial".

Honolulu is very busy, you will feel like you are in any big city (Denver, Chicago, LA), and it makes it hard to feel relaxed and to take in the island vibe of Hawaii.

Rusty Feb 5th, 2005 03:40 PM

I have been to O (including PH and WB),M,K,BI,L, and M (the other one) a number of times and it is entirely a matter of personal preference. Beware of the "we loved it and therefore you will love it too" syndrome. Not true. The person telling you this may be 80 years old and you may be 20 years old. In my opinion Waikiki is a dump, but Pearl Harbor is a must. In 7-8 nights you can't see everything in Hawaii. Yiu have made a decison - Maui. Stick with it.

suze Feb 5th, 2005 06:58 PM

My first trip to Hawaii was a week on Maui. That was perfect! And I recommend the same for your anniversary.

My next trip was a short 4 days at Waikiki. I'm leaveing for Oahu again next week. Personally I love Waikiki, lots of fun. Obviously the Pearl Harbor visit is emotional to some people, it is not of interest to me though Doris Duke's Shangri La and Iolani Palace will be.

Stick with Maui for a relaxing week where you can really kick back and appreciate the nature and slow pace of the islands.

caniac Feb 5th, 2005 07:11 PM

My wife and I went to Hawaii during our 2nd of marriage. We spent 3 days each on Maui, Kauai, & Oahu. We did not like Oahu, compared to the other islands, but we loved Pearl Harbor. I think 7 nights on Maui and 1 night in Oahu, to visit Pearl Harbor, would be ideal.

sk84fungirl Feb 6th, 2005 11:06 AM

Deblynn,

I visited Hawaii for 5 days, two years ago. Stayed in Oahu with plans to visit Maui or Kauai for a day. Did not make it to either of the other islands. 5 days wasn't enough for Oahu. When reading this board, I learned (thank goodness) that there is more to Oahu than meets the eye. Some of us mainlanders tend to think only of Honolulu and Waikiki when it comes to Hawaii. That is definitely not the case. Seven days on one island would allow you to spend nights on different parts of the island.

I made the decision that I would just have to go back and visit another island. Well, that's what I'm doing. Going to Maui in April. Would love to visit Kauai for a day, doubt it it will happen.

Enjoy your trip.

Deblynn Feb 6th, 2005 01:59 PM

In my original message, I did not give any insight on what we are like. We will be celebrating 25 years. We are both 43 and enjoy hiking, walking, sightseeing, snorkeling, shopping, etc. We are not "really into sports" like windsurfing, scuba diving, etc. We will be taking this trip without our two boys, ages 11 & 15. If we can make it to Hawaii again in a few years, we will bring them. We want this trip to be about reconnecting and having fun together! Thanks, Deblynn

circa2 Feb 6th, 2005 02:02 PM

Wow! Interesting stuff!

Just hate this "one-up manship" on which island is the "best", and which one should I go, and how much time should I spend there.

I know, it is asked in an inquesitive manner to provoke thought, and to gleen some good ideas.

Then we have the replies of those that have not even been there!!

Good questions, induce good answers.

Answer the questions, not a dissertation on your last trip.

Sorry to spout off....

Bonniebroad, you're right on!!

Now....with that said;

Oahu, and Honolulu are more hectic...of cours 80% of Hwawaii's population lives on Ohau.

But if YOU decide that it interests you....sights like, Pearl harbor, USS Missiouri, Punch Bowl, Iolani Place, etc., then perhaps you should consider a day or two.

Some flights to Maui, stop in Honolulu either on arrival, or departure, while some flight iteneraries make a plane transer in Honolulu. this arrangement could save you on inter-island airfare.

Travel between islands still usually takes up about 1/2 day, considering you will be checking into another hotel, getting a rental care, etc. So visiting more than one island on a limited stay eats up valuable "relaxing" time.

Hawaii....it's all good.

enjoy

((Boy will I catch it for this!))

lizard Feb 6th, 2005 04:40 PM

Have been to the Islands (Maui) and love maui - would do ohau another time - this year I'm going to go for 10 rather than 7 days and do the first/last (haven't decided) 3 days
in ohua, to do the arizona - in my 60's and figure better do it now - had uncle at pearl harbor - dad on destroyer sunk in pacific during wwii-
i spent 10 years in navy - so for me getting to pearl before i die is very important - if you don't have a real reason to go to ohau limit yourself to maui and you will have a great time - arizona is not going anywhere
bob

razzledazzle Feb 6th, 2005 05:32 PM

We spent a very relaxing 8 days
in a lovely beach cottage up by Chun's Reef/Sharks Cove, North Shore,Oahu.

http://www.sandsea.com/ginger/
tucker2.htm

Spent great lazy days at Lanaikea(sp?)
Beach. So, it can be done.

Regardless of which island you choose,
I do think a trip to Pearl Harbor
is quite worth a day trip, or one day
at beginning or end of your trip,
especially since you don't know when you might be back.

That's my 2 cents,
Happy Anniversary!
R5