Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just made flight reservations...Travelling to Phoenix and Grand Canyon with 4 children in 1 month! Please Help!

Search

Just made flight reservations...Travelling to Phoenix and Grand Canyon with 4 children in 1 month! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We need help w/itinerary planning due to our specific needs. I have 4 children, ages 2, 8, 11, and 12. My 12 year old just had spinal surgery for scoliosis about 2 1/2 months ago. She is feeling totally healed, but is physically restricted until healing is complete, and not allowed to ride bumpy rides...not even allowed to bend to touch her toes yet (surgeon's orders).

We were just able to get Frequent Flyer Seats!!! We are flying into Tucson on Friday, March 31st, and flying out of Phoenix on Sat am, April 8th. Once we arrive in Tucson, we'll get straight in a rental car, and drive to Phoenix to stay w/dear friends for the weekend. Starting on Mon or Tues, we'll be travelling around, and will be needing lodging.

We want to see Grand Canyon, but have no idea where to stay. Staying on the rim sounds appealing, but I'm concerned about my 2year old falling off the rim... We'd like to know of some fun things for the kids to do. It's been a long winter, and we are ready to have some fun. I'm concerned that we only have 1 month to plan this. We'd also love to go down into the Grand Canyon, but my 12 year old couldn't ride a horse or a raft at this point. I'm wondering how else one could go down into the canyon, the safety issues, and whether kids would enjoy that.

We'll be saving some $ by using FF tickets, and staying w/friends the first few days, so we don't mind spending a little more on lodging. Any ideas for itinerary?? Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM

If you go to GC, staying in-Park does not increase or decrease the safety issues for all your kids. I posted here 2 years ago because I was afraid I would fall into the GC - and received very kind responses.

You must hold onto the 2-year old or put him/her in a stroller or backpack - one could easily fall in if too young or too inattentive or too much of a dare=devil. I saw toddlers wandering around, their parents oblivious. I saw teenagers fooling around and kids inbetween just being curious.

That said, very few deaths associated with falling into GC, despite my paranoia.

There is a trail at South Rim (Bright Angel) that goes all the way into Canyon, but there are marked stops at 1/2 mile, 1 mile and I think one more - good for a short hike and experiencing GC below the Rim (Probably would not take 2 or 8 year old)

Shuttle buses run on paved roads along the Rim and stop at various lookouts/vantage points - you could take the better part of a day doing that.

Since logisitcs of traveling anywhere with a pack of kids is a challenge, it would be a shame to get so close to GC and not go.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM

I have found that when we travelled with our children, they were not as awed by the scenery as I was. What they really want to do is swim in the pool.

I would still go to the Grand Canyon and stay at least one night. Look on www.xanterra.com to check availability.

We loved Sedona but that was because of the hiking. Your children would probably enjoy one of the resorts in Scottsdale/Phoenix with the waterparks. We stayed at the Hilton Squaw Peak and enjoyed our stay there.

Our daughter had a spinal fusion Dec. 2004 and ran a half marathon this last Jan.; 13 months after the operation--pretty amazing how they heal. She was a dancer so waited until she was in college to have the surgery--had it on Dec. 8 and was back at school Dec. 29th.
They broke 9 of her ribs to harvest the bone--they took longer to heal than her spine. I was a wreck thinking she might fall on the ice at Ohio U--very hilly campus.

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. The hikes sound nice, but we won't have anyone to watch our children. The 2 yr. old and 8 yr. old would have to go with us. Unless they have some kind of camp for the 2 year old. I'd also be concerned about my 12 year old falling...I'm assuming the hike would have rough terrain. Is there a place to hike down to see the lower part of the canyon that isn't rough terrain?

I've also heard about campfires. That sounds like fun...something my 12 year old could enjoy as well. But I don't know if they'd have campfires in the first week of April. I think it would be pretty cold there still.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM

years ago we stayed at the Kachina lodge. It was all that was available at the time. It's a very basic motel type palce, but has great views. The nright angel and el tovar are adjacent for dining, and relaxing by a lobby fireplace.

We were there in March, it was cold and snowing. I don't know what the weather is like in APril, but bring warm clothes just in case.

Sedona is a nice stop between phoenix and GC. The Sky Ranch Lodge is a very pelasant palce to stay there for a night or 2.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

LindainOhio, thank you. I will look up Xanterra. I looked briefly, and I saw the ranger programs. I wonder if they have rooms big enough for 6 people.

I know exactly what you mean about youngsters not appreciating the scenery as much as adults. When I was a child, my family went out west to the desert and GC often. I was the typical child. To this day, I hate long car rides...

That must have been a hectic time for you and your daughter. I can't imagine having to use so many ribs! She must have had a large area fused. I hope she is doing well now. After something like that, you are just so thankful that your child got through it okay, and just appreciate every moment more than before. At least that is how I feel.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear kippy6:

Click on my trip report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34655352

We went to Sedona & the GC last summer. Perhaps this report will help. Our daughter is 12 and in a brace for scoliosis. So far, so good with no progression. She seemed to enjoy the shopping and swimming. The scenery was of secondary interest. Try to stay at GC and try to take advantage of the jr. ranger program.

Good luck,

MY
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at Sedona online. It sounds like it offers a lot of different things to do. Tlaquepaque
looks interesting too. I can picture our family walking around a village. I saw the Papillon helicopter rides that were mentioned on the Sedona website. We couldn't do the jeep ride or hot air balloon ride, but might be able to do a helicopter ride...if it's not too expensive, and as long as the ride isn't too rough.

As a child, I never got to go down to the bottom of the canyon, so I'm excited about the thought of getting down there to the bottom. I wish we could do the Havasupai Heli Hiking Day Tour, as it looks beautiful!! But it is too pricey, and my daughter couldn't walk along that rough-looking terrain w/o falling, and injuring her back.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Kippy, your lodging choices within the park (at the rim) will be limited by what is available. We are going in April as well, and I tried to get an additional room for my sister but they were fully booked. Check on the Xanterra website right away. There are also hotels in Tusayan, just outside the park entrance. The Quality Inn Suites may allow you to put six in one room. http://www.grandcanyonqualityinn.com/

You can check other lodging at Tusayan here:http://www.kaibab.org/serv/gc_serv.htm#tusayan
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM

There are children that are in awe of places like the Grand Canyon. My boys were, even at a young age. My brother and I use to BEG our parent to take us to the Grand Canyon but in the 10 years we drove back and forth from Los Angeles to California...they never stopped!

An umbrella stroller would be the best thing for your 2 year old. There are great paths all along the rim at the South Rim Village.

I would ride the shuttle buses and get off at the different scenic overlooks.

You might look into the Jr. Ranger programs for the older three children. http://www.nps.gov/grca/pphtml/forkids.html

The campfire is probably the evening programs at the Mather Campground Amphitheater. You can check the shedule when you get to the park or call. http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/...r_programs.htm

I would also recommend Wupatki National Monument north of Flagstaff, Montezuma's Castle National Monument just outside of Camp Verde.

Utahtea
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM

I you have time while you are in the Tucson area, your kids might enjoy a trip down to Tombstone. My kids loved it.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I know you said you want to drive straight from Tucson to Phoenix, but if you have time, check out the Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. It's an outstanding introduction to the desert. It's not far from the airport, and would let your kids move around a bit before they have to hop back into the car.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I've heard Bright Angel cabins are the bare necessities, and the rooms can be cool. As far as lodging, we can get a room at Xanterra at the South Rim. What is Xanterra like? They have a place available for the 6 of us that is only 1/4 mile away from the canyon. We'd like a warm, comfortable room.

We also like the idea of the train ride from Williams to see the Canyon, but I don't understand the type of lodging there...and I don't think we'd want to stay in Williams if we could stay in Xanterra. How does a person do a train ride and stay on the South Rim all at the same time?? Wish we could stay in maybe Xanterra and do the train ride from there and back.

So which would you choose, Xanterra, Bright Angel, or the Grand Canyon Railroad resort (I can't find a picture of the resort anywhere)? We are flying out this coming Friday.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM
TheWeasel

kippy - Xanterra is the company that owns all of the lodging at the S. Rim (including Bright Angel). Which specific place at the S. Rim are you looking at, in addition to Bright Angel? I've only stayed at Maswik, which was perfectly OK for me.

I don't believe you can overnight at the S. Rim if you ride the train, but someone else may know for certain.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

I looked at Xanterra's website, and I see what you mean now. There seems to be 8 different lodging choices under the Xanterra name for the South rim. They had an available room for us in Yavapai Lodge. Would you recommend Yavapai?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:36 AM

Bright Angel cabins are not luxury, but they are fine. Each has 2 sides, with door that can be opened between - you could probably all fit in one cabin/both sides. Ours had 2 beds (?queen/double) on one side and one bed on the other. The one-bedded side accomodated a roll away, but not easily.

Each side has private bath with shower, TV that gets 4 channels, small bureau and huge windows - only a few have direct view of Canyon, but these are also right near walkways and can be noisy with window open.

I think it is really cold at South Rim in the beginning of April.

Not much else in way of things to amuse kids other than Canyon. Please watch them all carefully - don't want to read about some tragedy. The little one becasue s/he probably will want to run around everywhere and the older ones just because they are kids.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I am getting pretty nervous about staying at the canyon. My 2 year old can be extremely energetic. She also climbs on top of our kitchen counters here at home if she really wants something. I think it's something about being the youngest child.

Monday morning we are leaving Peoria. We are meeting our friends in Sedona on Wednesday evening. Doing a chuckwagon of some sort with them. So we are trying to figure out what to do on Monday and Tuesday. The train ride sounds great, but we don't know if we want to stay in Williams. Is there anything historical, etc... to do in Williams? Does anyone have any ideas for Monday and Tuesday? Mike this question is for you too. We are kind of concerned about our 2 year old at the canyon. And since we can't go down in it, we are thinking that maybe we should think about staying somewhere away from the canyon... We can't make up our minds...

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:09 AM

I do not think staying at the Canyon is the issue - you undoubtedly are not going to let him go roaming out on his own regardless of where you stay. This is time for backpack, stroller, or even one of those hateful kid leashes.

While I can not imagine staying anywhere but at rim of Canyon, in your case all might have a better time making it a day trip from lodging that has something else for kids to do - pool, playground, etc. You could then drive the 20 minutes or so for the day, have lunch, ride the shuttle bus, even stay for dinner and sunset if you want, and head back to hotel.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM

I haven't read all the responses - but when I visited the canyon during spring break it snowed for 3 days. Your comment about a long winter just made me want to point out that you may not have the weather you may be imagining.

And, if you don't have your reservations yet, a choice about where to stay may be moot.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I might add that we took our kids to Arizona several years ago. The GC was too far for our short stay, but we drove up to Sedona from Scottsdale for a day trip. We wanted the kids to see the red rocks and such. Well, after 10 minutes in the car, they asked, 'Can we go back to the hotel pool?" They were only 5 and 6 at the time, but at 12 and 13, I would most likely hear that about 30 minutes into the drive. They did not care about seeing different things. They couldn't believe our hotel had a pool with a slide. They enjoy and appreciate scenic places much more now and often comment if the scenery is beautiful. I would imagine that one day seeing the GC would be enough for my kids unless we could whitewater raft or horseback ride or something. That is out for your kids though. Is there any kind of western themed evening events? Indian powwow or something? They might get a kick out of show of some sort that would teach them what it was like long ago.. Good luck and I hope your daughter heals quickly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -