Notices

...just good food in Georgia.

Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...just good food in Georgia.

We are traveling from Illinois to Florida and will spend the night in Dalton before heading on.

Any dining suggestions in Dalton and throughout Georgia? Not fancy, just good food.

Thanks, Lucci
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM

It won't be on an interstate.

It won't be a chain.

It will have a lot of cars outside.

It may be a different place for breakfast than for lunch and almost certainly a different place for dinner.

It may or may not serve alcohol.

Ask a cop or a librarian. The public library is usually better marked than the police station.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM

You might expand your search for restaurants to Chattanooga TN. It isn't far from Dalton. I only know the chain restaurants along the interstate in Dalton(and there are plenty to choose from).
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM

If you are looking for home style & regional eating along your route use the roadfood.com site for recommendations. You can map your eating all along. Dalton has all the usual chains, otherwise.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM

lucci, where are you staying in Dalton? All the usual chains are around here. Tijuana's has just opened in a new location at exit #336.

If you want to venture downtown, The Oakwood Cafe is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing fancy....just good food. Also downtown for lunch and dinner is The Depot. It' usually pretty good food and consistent.

If you are starving and want a to-go good greasy cuban sandwich or other kind of sub sandwich, go to Willie's Burger Shack, near downtown next door to The Greenspot.

Let me know what you are considering and I can tell you which chains are and are not good here. Our Outback is normally really good, as is Longhorn.

enjoy
i'2
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM

and, most of the Mexican restaurants here are really good!!
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to eat dinner before you get to the hotel, consider eating in Chattanooga. Tony's in the Bluff Arts district is very good - http://74.91.165.221/subpage.php?pageId=141

For lunch the next day, you may be interested in eating at the Whistle Stop Cafe - especially if you liked he movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". It's about 15 miles off the interstate but a nice change of pace. The little town of Juliette GA served as the set of the movie and the food at the Whistle Stop is traditional southern cooking and is good. http://www.thewhistlestopcafe.com/

Those are two non-chain options. There's just about every chain available along the interstate, of course.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM

In Savannah:
Wiley's Championship BBQ
4700 Highway 80 East, Suite N, Savannah, GA 31410
912 201 3259

It was the best BBQ I've ever had, anywhere!

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. There is something special to me about finding good regional food as well as good regional radio. It gives me a better sense of where I am.

We are planning to leave Il very early am so we can visit Lookout Mt. Hopefully the weather will be good so we can do that! Then on to Dalton. Pass on breakfast at the motel and check out breakfast at the Oakwood Cafe trying to save room for the Whistle Stop Cafe. I'm going to check out Tony's in the Bluff Arts district now.

Thank you Thank you Thank you,

Lucci
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM

lucci, The Oakwood Cafe is a very local place. You might and might not like breakfast there(I'm not crazy about their breakfast). You will definitely like lunch there. I realize it it a chain, but our Cracker Barrel is exceptional. Since you are going to be on Lookout Mountain, when you come down you could eat a good early dinner at Mt. Vernon.