Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just booked our first trip to NYC- now we need a hotel!

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to use up e-certificates with United that were expiring this week and so we booked a last minute trip to New York. Its our first trip to NYC and we're going to do the typical touristy things (Broadway show, Statue of Liberty, etc).

Going Thursday 5/26 to Tues. 5/31 (Memorial Day weekend). Anyone know of a great hotel deal? I looked at many deals offered through Kayak, Hotels.com, but some have terrible ratings. Also, since this is a holiday weekend, several deals were not eligible that weekend.

We'd love to keep it around $200.00 a night - I know thats cheap, but we're on a tight travel budget this year! We're a 50 something couple - just the two of us traveling alone.

Also, we have a $400.00 credit with Marriott - would consider using that if there was a Marriott that was priced right. Marriott Marquis looks like a great location, but oh so expensive!

Thanks Fodorites for your continuing great advice!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM

Look at travelzoo.com to see what they have. But $200 is very modest for a decent place in May. Holiday weekend should have deals since there are no businespeople around.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Use your Marriott credits at the Newark Airport Marriott
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...port-marriott/

Commute to NYC on the frequent trains.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM

We've had good luck using Priceline. The zones in NYC are small enough that I'm comfortable with the area options. If you review the postings on betterbidding and biddingfortravel, you can get an idea of what hotels people are getting for what price.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Highly recommend you stay in Manhattan rather than spending your time commuting - first trip, not that many days, it just wastes time, not to mention not being able to return to your room at all during the day. There are many Marriotts in Manhattan (Marriott, Renaissance, Residence Inn(s), Courtyard(s)),so just check them all.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Just beware of Priceline. If you choose a hotel in Midtown East, you might very well end up with the Grand Hyatt, which is undergoing a major renovation starting early and going to late.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM

The Pod hotel seems to get decent reviews (despite small rooms) and is within your budget. Hilton Gardens Inn on W 35th gets very good reviews and is about $225 with tax.

That's a busy weekend. Even with Priceline, good deals will be far and few. You can check hotwire as well (check betterbidding.com).
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM

The Marriott Marquis is not what I would call a great location by any means. Times Square, though popular with tourists, is chaotic, crowded and filled with chain restaurants and souvenir shops. There are so many other convenient places to stay that are much nicer for many reasons.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM

The Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Av (3 E 40th) is one of the lower priced Marriotts and in a better location than the Marquis. With your credit, it could be a good deal.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM

I'm going in May too and just booked 6 Columbus. The price is really good and the location is excellent for much of what we want to do (theater, Central park, museums). I've read many reviews by ppl who were nervous abt trying it but then very happy w/ 6 Columbus, so I went for it. Bit more than you mentioned but my avg price per night is < $250.
I've read consistently good reports of "friendly staff", comfy beds, plus that there's a Starbucks next door and subway across the street
Good luck and have fun.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I am going the same time you are. I booked Radio City Apartments / Apts / Suites several months ago. They may still have some limited availability. Location just across from Rock Center.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM

I agree that you should definitely stay in Manhattan and also that you should steer clear of Times Square proper for your lodging. I am from NYC and have also stayed at the Residence Inn near Times Square several times (38th and 6th Ave). The rooms are clean, the location is great for touring, and they have a nice breakfast included with the rate. You can also use your Marriott credit there. You are going to have a great time on your visit. Bring good walking shoes and enjoy!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Some other websites to check
quikbook.com often has some secret sale hotels similar to Hotwire where you're given the area, star level and general description of the hotel and the price. It requires prepaying but there are some great deals. Any of their 4* hotels in the Murray Hill area are usually good.

oyster.com sometimes has some great deals. I found the Holiday Inn Express Fifth ave. for someone (different dates) at considerably less than anywhere else. It's also another good place to get photos and reviews.

I noticed there's an American Express offer with Starwood hotels of buy 3 nights get the 4th free. Look on the Amex website if you're a cardmember.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:47 AM

PS The Courtyard Midtown East (Marriott) is a very good hotel. Lowest price I see on their website is $220/night plus tax but if you're an AAA member it might be less. The Courtyard Soho is also $220 and the newest of the Courtyards in Manhattan and a fun location.

I checked quikbook for your dates. There is a secret sale hotel in Murray Hill for $200/night plus tax. I'm sure it's either the St. Giles Court or the St. Giles Tuscany both of which are nice hotels in good location (on the same block). But these have to be prepaid and are not cancelable. Paying the $20/night more at the Courtyards and using your coupon comes out cheaper than this I think so depends on whether you want to use up the coupon or not and which hotel appeals more.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Maybe you should check out the new Yotel. They were offering rooms for the introductory price of $149. I have no idea if this will be a good hotel or not, but the price can't be beat, and its brand new.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM

I agree that you should only stay in Manhattan. I think often the best deals are via the hotel website but I also check kayak.com
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM

You could also try bidding on Priceline. I think all the 4* hotels in Times Square and the Empire STate area are excellent. Look on betterbidding.com and see what others have won for your dates on their win calendar.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM

I just booked Hotel Lucerne on the UWS - that looks like it's available for close to $200.

There was also this email today...someone else would need to chime in on the hotel itself.

http://www.travel-ticker.com/details...4kq04cap9sqjm5
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM

The Lucerne and On the Ave would both be great deals for those prices - just be sure that it doesn't apply only to some tiny closet of a room. the neighborhood is great - much better than Times Square IMHO.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

You guys are THE BEST! So much useful information and I am now making an informed decision thanks to all of you that responded.

I'll report back which hotel we end up staying at - looking forward to our first trip to NYC!

Thanks again...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -