Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Just back from Yellowstone (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/just-back-from-yellowstone-241319/)

Paula Jul 19th, 2002 11:52 AM

Just back from Yellowstone

I want to thank everyone who gave me so much good advise and information on Yellowstone.<BR><BR>First of all--it really is breathtaking--figuratively and literally. The altitute and hotwave made hiking quite a challenge.<BR><BR>Our favorite area was Canyon, especially Artist Point (colors like I've never seen in nature before), Inspiration Point, and the Upper and Lower Falls.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Lake Hotel annex, which was nice, and ate dinner there, which was pretty decent, espcially the setting. I'm glad we stayed here and not Old Faithful Inn as when we visited the Inn it was swamped with people.<BR><BR>We saw Old Faithful, Steamboat, and several other geyers, and spent some time in the Mammoth area as well.<BR><BR>We saw much wildlife--bison, elk, deer, and even a bear (from a distance). Was glad we had binonculars.<BR><BR>Oh, one funny thing--Huckleberry icecream was renamed--now it's called Grizzly Bear.<BR><BR>I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can.<BR><BR>Paula

sweens Jul 29th, 2002 12:05 PM

Glad to hear you had a great time; we will be there in a few weeks. Did you go on any of the chuck wagon dinners or breakfasts or know anything about them? In general, any bad experiences you had or things you'd do differently? We have 3 kids, age 9, 4 and 8 mos., so we will be somewhat limited but want to give them a fun experience.

jjj Jul 29th, 2002 12:24 PM

If I remember correctly, there was a chuckwagon at Moose Junction on the South End of the Grand Teatons. <BR><BR>Yellowstone is a cool park to visit, but if you are camping go to the Teatons. The campsites in Yellowstone are right on top of each other and really stink. The Teatons are more picturesque and an easy drive to Yellowstone. <BR><BR>We were there during peak season (mid Aug) and the campground on the south end of the Teatons (300+ campsites) was practically empty, you can't see the mts from the campground :( but it was nice to get away from the crowded packed feeling of yellowstone, and we were just a stones throw away from yellowstone & jackson hole.

former_lake_ee Jul 29th, 2002 07:43 PM

Lake Hotel "annex" used to be employee housing.

Paula Jul 29th, 2002 08:27 PM

Re. Sweens asking if I had any negative experiences...The only problem I really had was the altitude. I don't know where you live, so that may not be a problem for you (and it may not be a problem for kids at all).<BR><BR>Have a good trip.

Bob Jul 30th, 2002 08:17 AM

Paula: Did you take it easy the first day to acclimatize yourself to the altitude? And did you drink alot of water avoid caffeine/alcohol? I am visiting Yellowstone in September and am concerned about the altitude. Paula, did you experience altitude problems when hiking or also when sedentary?

Paula Aug 1st, 2002 09:16 PM

Bob,<BR>I was "bad". A good friend met us at the hotel and brought a belated birthday gift to me--a nice bottle of champagne which we had a dinner. I guess I didn't think it would effect me like that, but it did (she's from Ogden, so was used to the altitude).<BR>I did drink lots of water and only a little coffee, but when hiking, the altitude really got to me. Plus, it was a heatwave, which I'm also not used to.<BR>My husband and daughter didn't have any problem with the altitude, though, so I guess it's different for everyone (and I exercise more than both of them together, but that's the way it was.)<BR>

Yev Aug 2nd, 2002 04:29 AM

Was the traffic in the parc as bad as people say it is?

Paula Aug 2nd, 2002 12:19 PM

The only time the traffic was bad was when there were bison on the road, or by the side of the road. We really didn't mind that because it was great to see. As you drive along, whenever you see lots of cars pulled to the side, it's usually for a good and interesting reason.<BR><BR>

xxx Aug 4th, 2002 07:31 AM

Also just returned from Yellowstone- a great trip. We live at sea-level and weren't bothered by the altitude at all. Did lots of hiking and found it maybe a little more difficult but not really bad. Took it easy the first day but after that had coffee and a beer most days with no problem. But we were very careful about drinking LOTs of water. Bought a case in Jackson before Yellowstone and then two more cases in Cody before the Tetons. The only place I had any problem was with a little light-headedness at the top of Rendezvous Mt. at Teton Village.<BR>After reading a link found on this website, I also took gingko before leaving. They said studies show taking gingko for five days before leaving helps prevent altitude sickness.

tc Aug 4th, 2002 07:46 AM

Paula,<BR>Thanks for all your advice.<BR>I'm heading to the area for 2 weeks. I have 3 kids 14 - 9 yrs. We are staying 3 nghts @ lake yellowstone, 3 nghts at Canyon the 2 @ old faithful. <BR>Then 5 nights at colter bay in the tetons. Any place to swim. Did you do a float trip. I would like to bring a cooler and eat breakfast in the cabins vs restr....is this doable. <BR><BR>Also I just posted a question on driving from SLC...do you know about best route to yellowstone<BR>Thanks in advance

Dayle Aug 4th, 2002 06:24 PM

Hi again TC,<BR><BR>Be sure to do another search for "Jackson" Teton National Park & Tetons. There is SO much to do & see. You'll get lots of ideas. It's great you have enough time to do it all!

Paula Aug 6th, 2002 09:00 PM

tc,<BR>I think the cooler is a good idea--wish we had had one. And if, like us, you need your morning coffee, I'd suggest bringing a coffee maker and coffee--we did and were very glad we did.<BR>Have a good trip.

Cinzia Aug 8th, 2002 09:52 PM

Paula, me and husbband are planning to visit Yellowstone from 08/31 and stay 6 nights. I need to reserve a room and was thinking about Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and Cabins .... have you seen it ? how is it ? well located ? decent ? we used to go camping but I'm afraid of bears and I wanna sleep well at night...please let me know how it looks, it seems the most affordable but I don't want to sleep in the middle of a crowdy or uncomfortable place... Thanks !!!

PAM Aug 9th, 2002 02:35 AM

Take I-15 for the quickest route or 89 for the prettiest....but hopefully you'll get more info. on road conditions/construction....I haven't been there for a couple of years. Don't miss the opportunity to just sit. Especially at Yellowstone lake, in the evening....or when you see wildlife. People are so gung-ho on photographing the moment...they forget to experience it! I'm sure you've heard it before and I'll say it again...don't get TOO close to the bison, they are NOT cows! Roosevelt should have cookouts....be sure 'n do s'mores! You're most likely to see bears on the top of the eight, I've seen a black mama and cub on the N/W side, and a younger grizzly on the N/E side. Coyote like the east side...be sure and check the river banks as you drive.....I haven't seen a pronghorn yet, anyone who has, I'd love to know where!

Dave Aug 9th, 2002 04:47 AM

I've seen pronghorn in the Lamar Valley, near the Slough Creek road, but only once and only a couple. Saw LOTS of pronghorn driving to Yellowstone from Lander, WY.

Kay Aug 9th, 2002 01:16 PM

For lots of advice on Yellowstone, use w.yellowstone-natl-park.com, both the informational pages and the chat board. <BR><BR>I didn't look at the Mammoth cabins when we were there, but in other locations they are old multiunit buildings such as boxy duplexes. I saw the ones at OF and we stayed in one at Canyon--ugly, very basic well-worn interior, thin walls, but cheapest price and clean.<BR><BR>In June we saw pronghorn just east of Tower on a deadend road across from the Yellowstone River picnic area, down in Lamar Valley across the river with the bison and elk in the evening, and along the park road at the south end of Grand Teton. A naturalist at Jenny Lake said he has seen a large herd at dusk the evening before along the highway north of Jackson, but of course they wouldn't come out for us.

Paula Aug 10th, 2002 04:41 PM

I saw the Mammoth Inn from the outside only--it looked nice and was located on the northwest side of the park. Personally, I'm glad we stayed at Lake Yellowstone Inn as I liked the location--liked the Canyon area best.