Reload this Page >

Pick 2 of Top NY Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Francesca

New York’s got so much one-of-a-kind-experience-type restaurants that I would like to get your feedback to help me choose.

We’re a family of 5 serious foodies and would like to try two of the best restaurants that New York’s got to offer. (We've tried top restaurants in Paris and San Francisco and are looking forward to trying some of the Big Apple's cuisine.)

I need to make reservations soon, so, please, pick two from the following list (or suggest an obvious one that I missed), and we thank you very much in advance. "Ciao"!

Chanterelle
Nobu
Union Pacific
Veritas
LeBernardin
Lespinasse

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:22 AM
nina

What, no Gramercy Tavern or Babbo? Sorry but those are my personal favorites.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Elfie

Francesca, I pick your top two: Chanterelle and Nobu. I've been to both and they're truly excellent. You really can't go wrong with any on that list though, they're all special. Have a great time.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:40 AM
suzanne

The only one I've been to on your list is Lespinasse. It was very good...the atmosphere and service were top-notch, as was their creme brulee. I'd give their food about an 8 out of 10.

However...you are missing 3 restaurants from your list, which all deserve a 10 out of 10 for food (IMO) and also very high marks for service/atmosphere:

Aquavit - DEFINITELY a one-of-a-kind experience. It's the only Scandinavian restaurant I know of. Most, but not all, of the food is seafood. They have amazing tastings menus, where you get many little courses, and they bring you little "surprise" tastings in between courses. It's in a former Rockerfeller mansion, and has an airy, modern atmosphere.

Le Cirque 2000 - Very inventive food, interesting dining room (sorry I have no other comments...I've only had the fortune of eating here once but it was terrific!)

Gramercy Tavern - Though it doesn't *look* as fancy as some of the other places, it has the BEST food in Manhattan, hands down. Lots of unique combinations of flavors, and a wide selection.

Hope you enjoy whatever you select!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Michelle

Well, Veritas, in my opinion, is not all it's cracked up to be. Truly amazing wine list, but I didn't think the food was earth shattering. I would add Daniel to your list.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
tommy

I would not choose Union Pacfic. I felt U.P. was exhorbitantly priced, above and beyond what one would expect for an upscale restaurant in NYC. I thought the combinations of flavors in the dishes were a bit weird. The night I ate their, we (a party of 4) were seated in a room upstairs with only two other large loud parties, and the decor of the room reminded me of any chain hotel dining room - bland and boring. If you should choose U.P., request a table in the main dining room.

My opinion is you can't go wrong at LeBernardin or Gramercy.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Rudy

Gramercy Tavern (or try his new one, Craft). I personally preferred Gramercy, but my friends preferred Craft.

Lespinasse is great

Arezzo is a very good, new, upscale Italian.

I'm jealous! Haven't been since May.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:51 PM
x

I would do either Jean Georges or Babbo. I didn't find Nobu to be that different than good Japanesse restaurants in other cities.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Paul

Le Bernadin without question.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Ryan

Why not go to more than 2. For dinner, I'd say Le Bernardin and Chanterelle. (I'm also partial to Aureole.)

However, my advice would be to try as many great restaurants as you have time for. One way to make it less expensive it to take advantage of the really good fixed price deals on lunch that several offer. Montrachet, for example, has a $20.02 lunch on Friday. The NYC Zagats has a list of the best deals along with the with the cost.

BTW, for some of the best deserts West of Paris, try Payard Patisserie on the Upper East Side.

Also, for a great value option, you might want to look into L'Ecole. It is the restaurant that is run by the French Culinary Institute. Fantastic food and a really good price.

Anyway, have fun in my hometown.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:31 PM
dcp

Il Mulino

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:18 AM
me

Chicama. Great south american cuisine and a great atmosphere.

Le Cirque 2000 - $$$$$$ but great food.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:32 AM
topper

Thanks to everyone who've responded so far. Hoping to get more feedback.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:07 AM
E.

Nobu should be one of your choices. The chef's tasting menu--omikase, I believe--was revelatory. Yes, it featured some dishes found in many Japanese restaurants, but elevated to artistry. If you want to be more casual about it, you can order from the extensive--and somewhat confusing--menu yourselves. We found the waitstaff to be friendly, informed and attentive. We did not try the sushi per se--have heard it is more pedestrian.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Donna

I would NOT add Daniel. We were totally underwhelmed there a few weeks ago. Curiously, I was able to get a reservation for a Friday night the week before, and our choice of times were available. We had a far more magnificent dinner a week later at a place called Hurricane in Ogunquit, Maine. We've been to Paris, too. Definite thumbs up for Chanterelle and Le Bernadin.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Michele

Just got back from NY this past weekend. My husband and I found a wonderful place to eat after 8:00pm. It's name is Cite and the address is on 51st street, west of Sixth Ave. We had a prix fix dinner selection plus an unlimited pour of 4 different types of wine for $60.00 each. Their crab cakes were excellent. The filet I ordered ended up being 16oz of very tender beef and the dessert list was fantastic. My husband had the prime rib and enjoyed it too. I think their prix fix pre-theater menu is $47.00.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:31 PM
nyc

I'd pick Nobu and Chanterelle. Both are terrific and they're very different from each other. Nobu is very creative and is an ideal place for fusion cuisine from a Japanese perspective. If celebrity spotting interests you, it's a good place to go.
Chanterelle is more traditional, but unlike so many Uptown French places, is not very uptight or snooty. The space and the floral arrangements are wonderful too. The cheese selection is amazing.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Dawn

Hmm...just had the skate for lunch at Le Bernardin the other day. It was absolutely divine.