Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just back from Treasure Island, Florida - thank you Tandoori Girl and cd!

May 10th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

I didn't find a lot of info. about Treasure Island on this forum before I went, so I thought I'd do a quick trip report for future visitors to TI.

We stayed at the Island Inn Resort, based on the comments by cd and those on tripadvisor. The Island Inn was very nice. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. We enjoyed having our own balcony and the refrigerator came in handy. The pool was nice. Not huge, and got crowded on the weekend, but near empty on the week days! The staff is fantastic....from the people in the office to the maintenance and cleaning staff. I've never come across more friendly hotel staff!!! All in all, the Island Inn is a good choice.

Thanks, TandooriGirl, for warning me away from some of the properties I considered. It's amazing how nice a website can make a place look. Very deceiving in some cases.
BTW, the Jefferson looked extremely nice and inviting from the outside!

The water is a lovely shade of green/aqua. It was very clear and warm. I have to admit, I found the sand on TI to be very flat, coarse, and shelly. Not at all feet friendly. I searched high and low for a soft spot to stick my toes in, but was unsuccessful. And this from someone who has spent a lot of time on the beaches of Sanibel. Even on Sanibel you can find some deep, soft sand toward the back of the beach near the tree line! The sand on TI was definitely the least feet friendly of all the beaches I have visited in Florida. Oh well, you can't have everything!!!

I found Treasure Island to be very funky in a 1950's kind of way. No big, fancy hotels, just older 50's style hotels and mom & pops in those cool colors of pink, powder blue, yellow etc.! The beach is low key and never crowded.

I found out why there's a sign in front of the hotel warning you to shuffle your feet in the water. I stepped square on the top of a stingray - and THANK GOD I did not get stung! It shot off to the right and I went flying to the left out of the water! It was in about 8" of water, where the sand is hard and rippled near the beach, and therefore, hard to shuffle your feet! I didn't find out until I did an internet search last night just how lucky I am that I didn't get stung!!!!

We were very glad to have Caddy's right down the beach. We spent a lot of time there. This was such a lazy vacation for us, that we often didn't feel like getting dressed up and driving to dinner, or perhaps had enjoyed a few too many frozen concoctions, so we spent two nights walking down there. We enjoyed the grouper sandwich one night and pulled pork another. Their rum runners were good and strong. They had some good live music during the day and night, too. We ate sandwiches on the balcony one night and our last night walked down to Sloppy Joes at the Bilmar. That didn't thrill me, as it was large and had a TGIF feeling with those light up buzzer things to let you know your table is ready and they didn't have much in the way of seafood. But I had some delicious and fresh shrimp, so I was happy. There are a lot of restaurants I would have liked to try, but they will have to wait for another trip.

We drove thru St. Pete's Beach and I found that to be much more upscale looking. The hotels there also had the 1950's vibe, but they all looked very well maintained on the outside and the Don was beautiful. I wish I had time to check the inside of that place! John's Pass was a good place to pick up some souveniers and do your shopping all in one place.

I also attended my first professional baseball game at Tropicana Field. My husband kept hinting that the Yankees were playing the Devil Rays, so I gave in for him. I put baseball and watching paint dry in the same category, but have to admit that it was actually fun to see the Yankees. I've been wanting to take in a game in Toronto anyhow. But I have to tell you, I didn't like watching a baseball game in a covered building! There's no roof in baseball!!! And plastic beer bottles? What's up with that? We have triple A baseball in Buffalo in a beautiful open stadium with the beer guys balancing beer cans and glasses while pouring. (OK, the beer thing is a very small complaint).

All in all, it was a very nice trip, and if I ever find $103 RT tickets to Tampa again, I will definitely check out more of the area.
May 10th, 2005, 06:09 AM
cd

BuffaloGirl
RE: There's no roof in baseball! Funny, funny, funny! I can just hear Tom Hanks saying that!!
I'm so glad you had a good time and found it to be relaxing. Thank you for the thank you. I enjoyed reading your report and am sure it will be of help to others.
May 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

cd: Thank you for thanking me for thanking you!

You're good.....Tom Hanks is exactly who I was thinking about when I said that. I kept doing it to my husband during the game, but changing the subject. Air conditioning? There's no air conditioning in baseball! And so on......

Thanks again for your Island Inn recommendation!
Jun 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM

Is this what you are looking for? It was post #42 of your posts I found when I clicked on your screen name.
Jun 21st, 2005, 06:52 PM

Welcome back BuffaloGirl
It sounds like a nice restful vacation, and thank goodness, not one that included a trip to the emergency room with a bad sting on your foot!
I will thank you for thanking the girls, thanks for posting
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:31 PM

Glad to hear you had a nice time in T.I. We love that place. I have been going there since I was in the 1st grade (I am now 26years old) We even took our honeymoon there. WE always stay at The Sands. We like the funky 1950's feel...so different from every other beachy town. when we have been there, the sand has always been very sugary feeling...not hard at all. That is strange. Now the stingray thing...yeah, this time of year they are problematic. There have been several people we have helped off the beach when they have been barbed by a ray. Not fun!!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM

Nice trip report, BGirl, I hadn't seen this one before Starrsville topped it. Glad you liked my hometown! And I agree about the coarse sand - but that IS what makes the shelling so wonderful (shhh keep that a secret!).

C'mon back again!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM

Hi B-Girl. I'll bet we almost bumped into each other at Caddy's. I was between tenants at my beach house for a few days and was hanging out at TI.

What's with that stupid Tropicana Field?!? My husband's company has a box there, and you can't imagine how un-baseball it is up in the boxes. It is just a big garbage can. What were they thinking?

The TI sand has been brought in from elsewhere due to beach erosion. Honestly, it's hard to find a beach that isn't built up like that. But that's why the sand is so bad. It's sand from deep down.

Tnx. for the report.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM

Glad you had a good trip BuffaloGril. And for some of the softest sugar-white sand you'll ever run your toes thru, head north of Treasure Island about 20 mins and check out Clearwater Beach!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM

agree w/irish. great sand at c.water
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure I'll be back, Joan and TG, despite the not so nice sand! The water more than made up for it.

TG, I really did not like Tropicana Stadium. It was fun to attend my 1st professional baseball game, but disappointing to do so in a covered, air-conditioned stadium. But hey, I had a good time.

Thanks for the heads-up Irishdame. I'll keep Clearwater in mind the next time I'm in the area.