Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just back from my trip. Over 250 digital photos, where to print them economically?

Search

Just back from my trip. Over 250 digital photos, where to print them economically?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local developer charges $.59 per print.

I've looked online and the prices for the online services range from $.19 to $.59. Normally, i'd go for the cheapest one, but i'd rather get a good print from a slightly more expensive source instead of getting subpar prints and having to get them redone.

Can anyone recommend a reputable site that gives good quality but won't empty my bank account? Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM

I've used ofoto.com. Can't remember what their prices are -- depending upon size, etc. It's a Kodak Company. Check it out.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:57 AM
Brutforce

We also use ofoto.com. They are the best/cheapest we have found & the quality is good.

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I checked ofoto.com and they charge $.49 per print. Do you know how much shipping is or whether they have bulk discounts?

Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:11 PM

I've gotten great results from shutterfly. They have a prepaid plan so prints go as low as .19 I believe. I've actually liked them a bit better than ofoto, but I've used both.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:19 PM

Do you belong to a Costco or have one nearby? Mine just got a little Kiosk from which you can upload your digital photos (from CD or memory card) and get prints from their one-hour printer in 24 hours. I think the price is 19 cents/print.

If you have a Wal-Mart, they may also do digital prints at their one-hour lab (some stores do, some don't). Mine charges 29 cents/print, but you don't have to wait 24 hours. That's an extra $25 though for 250 prints.

The advantage of using a local place is that it's easy to get redos if you are not satisfied with the quality.

Andrew
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:57 PM

Sams Club also has a new photo machine that will print your digital photos on the printer they print regular 35 mm prints on for .20.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:04 PM

You can also upload them onto www.costco.com.

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:09 PM

I am not yet a digital photographer but am considering it. To answer your question with another ...
Is it possible to load the 250 into your computer then preview and decide which ones you want to print? Seems like that would prevent spending $ on pictures you don't care for.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:29 PM

The answer is, yes!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM

ALso check out dotphoto.com. they frequently have specials also.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM

Target.com has a Kodak site too and then they ship them to your nearest Target store.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:50 PM

We've used both Ofoto and Wal-Mart.com. For price, I'd say Wal-Mart.com. For quality, Ofoto.com seems better.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:59 PM

I mentioned Wal-Mart earlier in the thread. I was talking about the Wal-Mart *one-hour service*, not their online service. They have nothing at all to do with each other. Wal-Mart online photos are printed elsewhere and shipped to your local store or to your home (if you choose). The Wal-Mart one-hour service obviously prints your photos right in the store, perhaps on entirely different equipment (and paper) than is used for the online printing.

I've gotten quite good results from the local Wal-Mart one-hour service for digital prints. They even have a semi-matte finish that I like. I use a local lab in Portland instead (because I can upload to their site and pick up the prints myself at a good price). In a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use Wal-Mart for must-have-today prints.

Andrew
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 08:20 PM

Agree with Seamus .. do you really need to print every one of them ?
I used shutterfly.com and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The 4x6 photo prints I got from 2 meg camera on default resolution (forget the numbers but each pic is a 400K jpeg) were excellent. I ended up getting actual prints of only about a third of the shots in the end, the others worth sharing ended up online or emailed.
Paul
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:37 AM

This will only help a small portion of folks - but if you're on a Macintosh you can use iPhoto to order a photo book. Simply arrange the photos in the order you'd like, choose which style of layout you'd prefer, add captions as you'd like, submit to Apple and they'll send you back a completely bound hardback photo album. It does get a bit pricey once you pass ten pages though.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Load them on your computer, preview them, get a software program (you should have one with your camera) that you can crop and enhance your pictures, then get an Epson printer (they are practically giving them away!!) and print your own. You will NOT want to print all of them. And lastly get a CD burner to store the pictures.
If you are going to pay to have your pictures printed you might as well not use a digital camera.
I recommend Epson printers because their inks and papers are the best at the moment--non-fading.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:35 PM

Argh! 2nd time trying to post this-
Try snapfish.com I know if you pre-purchase a certain number of prints they do give a discount. Nice prints, fast shipping, looked better than prints from the kiosk at Ritz Camera!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:37 PM

OK - 3rd time trying to post this (remembered to copy the text this time though!)

Try snapfish.com I know if you pre-purchase a certain number of prints they do give a discount. Nice prints, fast shipping, looked better than prints from the kiosk at Ritz Camera!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:39 PM

I disagree about not getting a digital photo. The biggest advantages to digital are:

-Eventually you will save a ton of money by not having to buy film & develope entire rolls of photos that maybe aren't all your favorites. You also get more photos depending on the size of your memory card.

-If the picture doesn't turn out well you can delete it and re-take it.

-You can pick which photos you actually want to have prints of. Maybe I am the only one that has shot nearly an entire roll of crap and did not realize it until I developed the roll?

We just bought the canon s900 which has more vivid color than I have every seen compared to any photo devloped at the local store. The better part about the printer we got is that you can replace the individual ink cartridges when they actually run out. Unlike with some printers where you have to replace the whole cartridge if one color runs out even if other colors are still fairly full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -