Reload this Page >

Just back from Kauai - short trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Iza

We just got back from 2 weeks in Kauai - we had a wonderful time. Here is a brief trip report.
1st week - stayed at a condo in Poipu (Poipu Sands section of Poipu Kai; we rented directly from owners through www.vrbo.com; very happy with the location. Condo was in need of some updating but very spacious and clean). Enjoyed the beaches on the south shore although the surf was up and it was windy all week. Our favorite beaches were Poipu, Salt Pond Beach and Polihale Beach.
Restaurants: we enjoyed Brenneckes Beach Broiler, Pattaya Asian Cafe, Roy's, Brickoven Pizza. Keoki's Paradise had a pleasant setting and atmosphere but the food was only so so.
2nd week - a condo in Princeville on the North Shore (Pu'u Po'a Unit 310 rented through www.princeville-vacations.com. Wonderful views, condo well equipped; very happy with the accommodations)
Did not go out much during the second week but enjoyed a nice dinner at Zelo's (great food, huge portions) and pizza at Kilauea Bakery.
Shave ice: Jo Jo's in Waimea was the best, we also liked The Wishing Well in Hanalei.
Activities: did not do much by way of organized activities except for a luau (Smith's Tropical Paradise - touristy and somewhat tacky but if you go with the right attitude and expectations it can be a lot of fun) and a helicopter ride (Jack Harter Helicopters - I thought the music and narraration were somewhat lame but the views were awesome).
Favorite beaches on the North Shore: Hideaways (walking distance from our condo, great snorkeling), Tunnels.
During the first week we drove up to Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali lookouts. We were lucky with the weather that day. The views were awe inspiring. We also hiked the first 2 miles of the Kalalau trail - very muddy and slippery but enjoyable; spent a lot of time on the beach, snorkeling. Went to Queen's Bath, Kilauea lighthouse and bird sanctuary.
In general, we liked both the South and North Shore, although the views and the beaches are more spectacular on the North Shore. The weather was more reliable on the South Shore.
Kauai is generally very rural and quiet; it was a perfect place to take it easy and slow for two weeks.
I will be happy to answer any questions posted here.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Joe

Did you you ake into "old Koloa Town"

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Lani

Iza, thanks for an outstanding trip report. I also love Kauai.......... Glad to hear a bit about the Pu'u Po'a condos........have wondered how they were. I didn't like the 'attitude' at Brennecke's the last time I was there......sorta full of themselves, unlike in the past. Did you find any of that? Glad you had a great trip!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Iza

Joe, not sure what your question was about Koloa. We stopped in Koloa a few times and walked around a bit but I didn't find it special.
Lani, as to Brennecke's, I wasn't bothered by the attitude although they did not show a lot of caring either. Of course it was our first time there so I wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Now that I think about it - the wait to be seated was very long and they didn't even suggest that we sit at the bar and have a drink. So you are probably right.
Talking about restaurants, the one annoying thing about Kauai was the wait and the need for reservations in most places.
I also forgot to mention the smaller local places that we enjoyed: Ono Family Restaurant in Kapaa for breakfast, Hamura Saimin (in addition to great saimin, their lilikoi pie was the best), a local/Chinese restaurant on Rice Street in Lihue (can't remember the name but the food was very good), Duane's Ono Burgers (good food but the wait was appallingly long).

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Barb

Hi Iza,
Welcome back! Glad to hear you enjoyed Kauai. Just wondering if you were happy with your choice instead of going back to C.R. I'm trying to decide now whether to return to Kauai or C.R. next March. Thanks for the trip report - it brought back alot of fond memories!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Ellen

After spending much time agonizing over how to split up our time on the Hawaian Islands we decided we would rather really get to know one particular island that breezing through several and never really getting to know what any of them were REALLY like. We chose Kauai for 2 1/2 weeks and is was an excellent choice. We stayed one week at a B & B in a residential section on the south shore run by Edee Seymour. It was like staying with your doting aunt! She served great breakfasts, gave great advise, and chatting with her in the morning was like being with a long lost relative. She has a small pool which is very private...we were the only ones using it, actually! She's got lotion for you, towels, fresh popcorn.......very relaxing. The minute we arrived, exhausted, she avised us to ump right in. There could not have been a better introduction to the island hospitality. Our second week was at a B & B in Princeville on the north shore. We spent our days beach hopping every couple of hours. What could be any better?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Iza

Barb, nice to hear from you again.
We were very happy with the choice of Kauai, but I have to say that I am already planning a return trip to CR and don't think that we would return to Kauai. I feel like we are "done" with Kauai and if we decide to go to Hawaii again, we would go to other islands (esp. Big Island).
As I said we enjoyed ourselves in Kauai, but after 2 weeks there I feel like we have seen most of it and there is not that much more left to discover. On the other hand, after 2 trips to Costa Rica, I feel that there is so much more left to do and see there! One thing that I missed in Kauai so much is the wildlife that Costa Rica has: it felt rather strange not to hear and see all the beautiful birds that you can see and hear in Costa Rica, not to see iguanas, monkeys, squirrels, coati mundis everywhere. Even though there was an abundance of beautiful plants, Hawaii still felt to me a bit artificial and unreal with the lack of animals and insects. I know that it is due to Hawaii's isolation, but still it felt like something was missing.
The beaches and snorkeling in Kauai were great but I have never seen sunsets there like I have seen on the beach in Tamarindo.
Plus, Costa Rica is much less crowded and definitely less expensive(at least at the time of year when we mostly travel which is in August).

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Barb

Iza,
I can certainly relate to your wanting to return to Costa Rica. With two weeks in Kauai you would surely have explored the island inside and out. Two weeks in C.R. however still leaves much to be discovered. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets home from one trip and starts planning the next. Hmmmm, how about Belize?! Happy researching. I'm sure we'll keep running into each other!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Ken

Well, Iza, enjoy all the animals and insects you desire on Costa Rica--and all the POVERTY, too!!!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:46 AM
Mark

Not to mention the excitement of getting grabbed by some guerillas with a cause!!! (Don't say it can't happen! My best friend talked about the armed guards in places!)

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:53 AM
huh?

Well, Mark, last time I checked there were armed guards at just about every airport in the U.S. Maybe we shouldn't go anywhere.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Mike

We ate at Brennecke's when we were in Kauai in July. Family of six, including an 18 month old, and they couldn't have been nicer to us - service was prompt and attentive. SO our experience was very different

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:30 AM
rph

We are going to be on Kauai for a week in late Sept and trying to decide if we should take a boat to see the NaPali cliffs or hike the 2 miles on the Kalalau trail to see the views. Also, do you need hiking boots to walk it? thank for your info

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Iza

I think that taking a boat would be a cool thing to do. We had someone in our party who gets sea sick easily so we opted not to do it and now I somewhat regret it since the helicopter tour was very short and all a blur by the time we landed.
As to hiking vs. a boat tour - I would do both. You can hike only the first two miles of the trail without a special permit and the boat tour will let you see much more than that. You should wear either hiking boots (mine are lightweight, not high tops and I was very comfortable in those) or sturdy sneakers with good traction (my daughter wore her sketchers and was fine). Be prepared for both your shoes and your socks getting really muddy especially if it rained in the couple of days prior to your hike. For your own safety and comfort, please do not attempt to hike that trail in flip flops or shoes with no traction ;-) believe it or not but I saw some people doing that!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:40 AM
xxx

rph
Try and take the boat trip combined with a snorkel dive. They took us in caves and let some snorkel and then on up the coast for about an hour or so, maybe more, Had lunch there. Beautiful. Saw lots of turtles on way up. The way back was quite windy and more fun in the boat...

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Marie

Question on that 2-mile hike from a mid-fifties lady who has a broken ankle in her past. Is this mud on something so steep and slick one could fall a lot? I used to be a mountain goat, but am now more fearful. I'm willing to take the hiking boots and have the tenacity, but I don't want to risk something stupid. Is it doable?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sarah

I have done both rph, I liked the hike better. I just felt like the boat ride reminded me of similar boat rides (Greece/Middle East), I have taken elsewhere. I also like to look at the plants closer, gaze at the stretch of mountains in the distance longer. On the boat many are trying to focus on keeping from upchucking, sorry to say.

Get Kathy Morey's book on Hiking it was just updated this year.

I had no problems having no permit and would be surprised if the many people who do the trail to the falls have one. As Iza pointed out many were not prepared enough to have hiking boots let alone a permit. I think the permit request is really used as a way to catch long term campers, further on.

Just start your hike early Barb and when there has been a dry day before and on the day of your hike. I think the trail is moderate to strenous level depending on the time of day. In the heat it is a difficult treck back.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Sarah

P.S I also wore light Weight low ankle hiking boots, these are great for walking in koke also, be prepared to trash anything else especially if it has been muddy. That red dirt does not seem to come out of anything other than human skin.

Iza have you found that cleaners will take your boots to clean. I am coming back with two years worth of red dirt. ..suppose I can wash. Will email you about Costa Rico this weekend.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 07:05 AM
Diana

Thanks Iza for the report. I have a few questions for you or anyone else. i was planning just good sneakers for hiking in september. Is that ok? Will be with my mom so no big hikes; although if there is a great one I could go alone. Are there grocery sotres easily accesible and is it cheaper to cook on your own instead of eatting out for some meals? Are roads well marked for driving? We will be on the south shore for 1 week. Do we need to reserve helicopter in advance or just call on a nice day? Thanks for your help

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:02 AM
rph

Thanks for footwear info. About the boat that went into the caves-was that a Zodiac? I have heard people get really seasick on it. What about the catamaran?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -