Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Just back from 9 days on Maui...Trip Report(short)

Just back from 9 days on Maui...Trip Report(short)

Apr 1st, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Just back from 9 days on Maui...Trip Report(short)

Thanks everyone for the many helpful ideas I've gotten here over the past year. Stayed at Kaanapali Alii and had a beautiful apartment with mountain and ocean views. Went whale watching 5 times,(it is a passion of ours)using Trilogy,Teralani and Pacific Whale Foundation. Liked Trilogy the best...very helpful and informative naturalist staff. Saw lots of whales both on the water and from the beach. Took a day trip to Molokai on the Princess ferry and rented a car there and drove around the beautiful island.Took a day-long "rainforest and waterfall" hike with Hike Maui,up north past Kapalua. I'll be happy to answer any questions. Aloha and Mahalo....Martha
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:11 PM

Did the day trip to Molokai by ferry give you enough time to see much of the island by car?
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Rusty...we arrived on Molokai around 8:30,picked up the rental car and drove around until 2:00PM, when we had been told to return it. We had ample time for a leisurely ride to the far east end of the island,stopping once or twice. Then we retraced our route(there's only one road) and went north to the Paalu overlook(down to Father Damien's colony). We didn't have enough time to cover the arid west end of the island,so we spent a bit of time at the coffee plantation on the way back to town. So,we saw about two-thirds of the island. I wouldn't NOT go because of this,but you certainly could consider spending one night there,and then you could see it all. I'm very glad we went,and I feel that we got a good sense of the island.It evokes the Hawaii of the 1950's,and a pleasant change from the hustle of Kaanapali.
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Trip report continued...I just remembered two additional activities worth reporting.#1: We had a wonderful time at Iao State Park. It is magnificent visually and the park service has constructed easy to walk pathways and scenic overlooks. We plan to return and stay longer on the next trip. #2: We saw the live show "Ulalena" in Lahaina. It was beautifully done and very good entertainment.If you go, make sure to look up to your right and watch the musicians perform.

Search this Thread